Ohme Home Pro v Wallbox Pulsar Plus

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

Has anyone experience of both Ohme Home Pro and Wallbox Pulsar Plus chargers and know the real life pros and cons of these (apart from Ohme is simcard based and Wallbox is wifi based).

Can you control multiple Ohme or Wallbox chargers with one app (what happens if you have 2 chargers at different locations)?

A Wallbox unit costs c£490 from wholesalers. Does anyone know how much Ohme charge for their unit (they only sell direct to approved installers).
As a guess it is probably c£25 less than Wallbox (since Octopus EV has a price difference of £26).
9 Sep 21 Ordered ID.3 Family Pro, Stonewashed Blue & East Derry
13 Sep 21 PCP approved. VW No: 3131xxxx
24 Sep 21 Temp build wk43, conf' 46
22 Nov 21 Conf' build wk 49
10 Jan 22 Code 38 Awaiting ship-release (wk48 build)
01 March preferred collection

davidwalton

Post by davidwalton »

I can't directly answer the question, but one consideration: Our internet went down overnight after we'd gone to bed. The house is pretty much automated, but the downstairs lights hadn't switched off and the dishwasher hadn't cycled as it should. But the car had still charged as requested (via the Ohme charger) - because the Ohme charger goes off the mobile signal, not the WiFi/internet route. Not a huge disaster for one night/charge, but one of those if-it-can-happen-it-probably-will moments with WiFi/internet-connected chargers.

Another half-baked answer, the Ohme app allows you to 'Change Charging Unit' but because I only have one, I can't test if it means 'Add' a charger to the app or 'Replace' the current charger in the app. But I'm super impressed with the Ohme charger (I have the Ohme Go 32amp Commando smart charger, obtained via Octopus for £199 mid last year) - it's been rock-solid so far.
71 / 2021 ID.3 Life Pro Performance, Glacier White, Andoya Wheels
Ohme Go Smart cable / Intelligent Octopus tariff- Octopus £50 bonus referral link: https://share.octopus.energy/steel-goat-168
SunithM

Post by SunithM »

I've got the wallbox and there is an option to add another wallbox to the app, so having multiple doesn't seem like it would be an issue.

As for the connectivity, I've not had the internet go down and prevent charging, but the app does try to connect to your charger using Bluetooth first, so I don't think you'd have any issues unlocking your charger to use if your internet was down.
ID.3 Max Pro Performance in Manganese Grey
Ordered 19-Jul-2021
Order no 31384xxx
Cancelled 15-Feb-2022 with car stuck in limbo
Smitten

Post by Smitten »

Another vote for Ohme. Also like the fact it works via mobile signal which is much more stable than WiFi. Really super simple to use. Bullet proof. I also have Ohme cable for £199 via Octopus.
Tour Pro S 77kWh, heatpump, 19" Andoya wheels, Glacier White
Ordered 21.8.21
Order No: 314400**
Build week 24 unconfirmed
Delivery Q4 2022 delayed from Q1 2022
Cancelled order and replaced with in stock Kia EV6
Bubba82

Post by Bubba82 »

Looked at both of these but more than likely going for a zappi because of issues mentioned here about Wifi…loss of WiFi might mean loss of timed charge or no charge at all as the info is probably stored in a DC rather than the charger itself and the zappi has buttons you can press to make it work so you don’t need apps or WiFi
For example podpoint turns into a dumb charger in the event of no WiFi meaning the timer is set/stored in a DC somewhere rather than the charger itself hence my choice will be more than likely be the zappi
ID3 family pro in Turquoise with east Derry alloys
Ordered 21/9/2021…..Cancelled 19/3/2022
Was order No 31477
Original Confirmed build week 51 2021
Build week cancelled due to MY update
New build week of 35,36 now 40 2022 status 10
Delivery not now
tomstring

Post by tomstring »

I initiated the order for my Wallbox Pulsar Plus earlier this evening. It ticks the boxes for me, I’m already on Octopus Go and I’ll get it in time for the grant. Sadly my car won’t arrive until April.
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

Can both be set to prevent charging at peak times from an app or the hardware itself which cannot be overridden by anyone except those with access to a password protected app? Can the app be installed on multiple devices with different account logins or does it have to be the same account login?
davidwalton

Post by davidwalton »

Good questions there.

The Ohme app has a setting to allow/disable charging below/above a manually set price-per-kWh setting that you apply, depending on your tariff. This can be easily disabled for times when you need to boost in an emergency regardless of time-of-day. For example, I'm on Octopus Go with a charge of 5p per kWh between 00:30 and 04:30, so I enter a maximum value of 5.00 pence per kWh into each charging schedule. This results in the Ohme charger only activating when the cost is 5p per kWh (or below - I wish!) - I plug the cable into the car and leave it to charge when it's only 5p per kWh. Works like a dream.

I also set charging schedules in the Ohme app to suit - I have 'Charge Now (100%)', 'Nightly Charge (100%)' and 'Nightly Charge (80%)' to choose from. So I can charge or 'boost' the charging as needed with a combination of timeframe and min/max per kWh cost.
The combination of max charge timing plus the max price-per-kWh works really well - once you get your head around it!

As for multiple instances of the app, you scan a QR code on the charger to activate it in the app, so I'm guessing it's the same login. Does this work on one instance of the app or multiple? Dunno is my answer, but this could be a crucial point. At the mo, my car is controlled by my app/charge-hardware, but MrsW could soon swap to EV so I may be in a better position to experience the multiple vehicle/account scenario. Both exciting and totally unknown!
Ohme Go Smart cable / Intelligent Octopus tariff- Octopus £50 bonus referral link: https://share.octopus.energy/steel-goat-168
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Cherry wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:34 pm Has anyone experience of both Ohme Home Pro and Wallbox Pulsar Plus chargers and know the real life pros and cons of these (apart from Ohme is simcard based and Wallbox is wifi based).

Can you control multiple Ohme or Wallbox chargers with one app (what happens if you have 2 chargers at different locations)?

A Wallbox unit costs c£490 from wholesalers. Does anyone know how much Ohme charge for their unit (they only sell direct to approved installers).
As a guess it is probably c£25 less than Wallbox (since Octopus EV has a price difference of £26).

I've no personal experience with either multiple charger scenario, but a swift Google search reveals this about Ohme from SpeakEV in May 2020 (so quite old), but I believe the Ohme app hasn't fundamentally changed since then in terms of account and auth. No idea for Wallbox I'm afraid.

https://www.speakev.com/threads/multipl ... rs.150878/
You need two different accounts. It's your choice whether to switch between them on one App on one device or use two devices.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
ItshardtobuyId3

Post by ItshardtobuyId3 »

davidwalton wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:03 pm Good questions there.

The Ohme app has a setting to allow/disable charging below/above a manually set price-per-kWh setting that you apply, depending on your tariff. This can be easily disabled for times when you need to boost in an emergency regardless of time-of-day. For example, I'm on Octopus Go with a charge of 5p per kWh between 00:30 and 04:30, so I enter a maximum value of 5.00 pence per kWh into each charging schedule. This results in the Ohme charger only activating when the cost is 5p per kWh (or below - I wish!) - I plug the cable into the car and leave it to charge when it's only 5p per kWh. Works like a dream.

I also set charging schedules in the Ohme app to suit - I have 'Charge Now (100%)', 'Nightly Charge (100%)' and 'Nightly Charge (80%)' to choose from. So I can charge or 'boost' the charging as needed with a combination of timeframe and min/max per kWh cost.
The combination of max charge timing plus the max price-per-kWh works really well - once you get your head around it!

As for multiple instances of the app, you scan a QR code on the charger to activate it in the app, so I'm guessing it's the same login. Does this work on one instance of the app or multiple? Dunno is my answer, but this could be a crucial point. At the mo, my car is controlled by my app/charge-hardware, but MrsW could soon swap to EV so I may be in a better position to experience the multiple vehicle/account scenario. Both exciting and totally unknown!
Some very useful information there! I’ve taken a screenshot of your post… my Ohme is being installed a week Friday. This should help me getting started.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Cupra Born V1 with Typhoon Alloys - Aurora Blue - Tech pack L
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

davidwalton wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:03 pm
We have a OHME home pro (although no car so we have not used it.) When it arrived my wife set it up using the QR code and the app on her iPhone. I also downloaded the app (on Android) and it would not let me assign my charger to the app because it had already been assigned elsewhere. So, you definitely can't access the same charger from two different app logins unless it's an apple/android thing (unlikely I think.) However, I have been able to log in to my wife's account and therefore the charger via the app on my phone. What I don't know is whether this has logged her out - I am guessing it has and that whichever of us wants to use the app will have to log in with her details each time.

Edit to add, there is an option in the app to link another charger. I'm not sure if it switches easily between multiple chargers or if it effectively replaces your first one when you add the second.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Smitten

Post by Smitten »

sidehaas wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:51 am
davidwalton wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:03 pm
We have a OHME home pro (although no car so we have not used it.) When it arrived my wife set it up using the QR code and the app on her iPhone. I also downloaded the app (on Android) and it would not let me assign my charger to the app because it had already been assigned elsewhere. So, you definitely can't access the same charger from two different app logins unless it's an apple/android thing (unlikely I think.) However, I have been able to log in to my wife's account and therefore the charger via the app on my phone. What I don't know is whether this has logged her out - I am guessing it has and that whichever of us wants to use the app will have to log in with her details each time.

Edit to add, there is an option in the app to link another charger. I'm not sure if it switches easily between multiple chargers or if it effectively replaces your first one when you add the second.
We can both use the app using the same login. In common with quite a few car apps (we have a Peugeot e208 and Jaguar - only one app account can exist for each vehicle). When our ID3 shows up we will also be sharing one Ohme app/one account across two cars but it is easy enough just to "change vehicle" in the settings. Better to not have to do this though. Ohme support are really good I think I will have a word and see what they suggest as the best option.
Ordered 21.8.21
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

Great information as I have a Ohme as well
Have problems with boost in the mornings
Charges overnight on the 5p rate but stood as expected at 0430

When comes to topping up and putting heaters on for de-ice etc the charger doesn’t click in even though I have set up another schedule for 0600 to 100 at 100%

Suspect it’s the 5p rate that prevents tge charge and also it seems to want me to disconnect and reconnect to finish one charge before starting another

Does yours do multiple charges without disconnecting ?
Or any tips!!
Thanks in advance
1st Edition Makena Turquoise Metallic
2.4 update complete
Smitten

Post by Smitten »

Hoppy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:39 am

Great information as I have a Ohme as well
Have problems with boost in the mornings
Charges overnight on the 5p rate but stood as expected at 0430

When comes to topping up and putting heaters on for de-ice etc the charger doesn’t click in even though I have set up another schedule for 0600 to 100 at 100%

Suspect it’s the 5p rate that prevents tge charge and also it seems to want me to disconnect and reconnect to finish one charge before starting another

Or any tips!!
Thanks in advance
You don't need to set the max 5p charge rate. Ohme will always use the cheapest rate available to charge (for example if you have Agile Octopus/Go as it knows the tariff you are on). If you don't set the max 5p setting it gives the charger the option to charge outside of cheap rate if the charge required might take longer than the 4 hours available. That means in the morning you can "switch to max charge" and turn on pre heat from the house or boost to 100% an hour before leaving on a long trip.
Ordered 21.8.21
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

Great thanks will give that a go!

We are on octopus go and works brilliantly in the podpoint as have set timer to start at 0030

Will advise how we get on!
2.4 update complete
davidwalton

Post by davidwalton »

Hoppy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:39 am

Or any tips!!
Thanks in advance
Yeah, it's the 5p thing. I can perform multiple charges (via Ohme) without disconnecting with the following configuration and changes:

Car (configured in the We Connect ID app 'Settings'):
  • Set to charge to 100%
  • Reduced AC charging current = ON
  • Automatically release AC cable = OFF
Ohme app:
Three charge schedules;
  • 'Charge Now (100%)' - active every day, max charge = 100%, finish time = 12:00am
  • 'Nightly Charge (100%)' - active every day, max charge = 100%, finish time = 4:30am
  • 'Nightly Charge (80%)' - active every day, max charge = 80%, finish time = 4:30am
- with the 'Charging Restrictions' set at 5.00 pence per kWh as the default

Let's say it's a normal day and I don't need more range the next day, I activate the 'Nightly Charge (80%)' schedule and the car charges up to 80% or up to whatever it can by 4:30am and this costs me 5p per kWh. The same goes if I do need more range the next day, I'll deactivate the 'Nightly Charge (80%)' schedule and activate the 'Nightly Charge (100%)' schedule. The car gets charged between 00:30 and 04:30, when the price per kWh is 5p and stops either at the selected max charge or at 4:30am

Now, let's say for example it's frosty outside (car windows iced) in the morning... In the Ohme app I can then switch OFF the Charging Restrictions, deactivate the 'Nightly Charge (80%)' schedule, and activate the 'Charge Now (100%)' schedule. If not at 100% charge, the car starts charging (again) immediately because there are no restrictions and I can also switch on Air Conditioning from the We Connect ID app to defrost the car.
(But now it is costing me 15.78p per kWh - over 3 times as much as the nightly 00:30-04:30 timeslot charge costs :shock: )

It's possible to do the above (thanks to the Octopus GO tariff & Ohme app), you just have a few considerations and steps to take. The most important one is remembering to switch the Charging Restrictions back on and set the correct Charge Schedule in the Ohme app depending on the circumstances ;)
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

Ohme's follow up to my questions (at least they answer - a so called Troll likes this!):

Does this mean 2 accounts have to be set up, one for each charger (A & B) and shared for 3 people - each person shares the same login for charger A & B and all passwords are shared?

Yes, you need an account for each charger. Therefore for your two chargers, you need 2 accounts. If you’d like to log into the same account on different devices, its best to create an account with ‘sign in with email.’ If you log in on one device, it won't log the other person out of the account.

Is there a demo for the app?

Unfortunately there is no demo for the app.

Does the charger tell you cost of the last or all charges for those using Octopus Energy?

The charger will tell you the cost of each completed session based on the tariff information you have entered into the Ohme app.
Smitten

Post by Smitten »

Hoppy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:15 am Great thanks will give that a go!

We are on octopus go and works brilliantly in the podpoint as have set timer to start at 0030

Will advise how we get on!
Do you have timer set in the Podpoint or in the car? That may conflict with the Ohme if you do. Ideally let one have control so there is no conflict.
Ordered 21.8.21
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

The podpoint has been set to maximise tge Go tariff
Hopefully with nothing else on in the house both chargers will deliver the full 7kw

Will let you know when the ionic turns up currently due March time, but won’t hold my breath until it’s on the boat

The ID will need priority in the week as commutes every day (110 miles return trip minimum per day )
2.4 update complete
durhamlad

Post by durhamlad »

Cherry wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:34 pm Has anyone experience of both Ohme Home Pro and Wallbox Pulsar Plus chargers and know the real life pros and cons of these (apart from Ohme is simcard based and Wallbox is wifi based).

I had the Ohme Home Pro charger - type 2 tethered installed this week and the total cost was £567. Looking at the invoice the cost of the unit itself was £462 (before VAT)
id.3 Family Pro Performance ordered 8/11/21, build week 17, then 23 then 40, then 45, then 50, then delivery expected in January, 2023, picked up the car on January 16th. Yay!
Order number 31316***