Ohme Charge. Data charges possible

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

If you set the price restriction and nothing else its as good as scheduling 0030 to 0430 on Octopus GO.

Just keep an eye out for Cherry's cousin trying to bum a free charge at peak times. 😀
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565

SteveH

Post by SteveH »

ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:02 am Unfortunately this won’t work properly with the ID3 from what I can tell as it can’t access the car from an API yet! Will be good when it can though.
I have queried ID.3 API integration and Ohme told me that it's on the 2022 roadmap but they can't give a time frame.

I did ask them if they have an API that I can use to update the the charger with the car's SoC (since I use the VW API to monitor the battery level myself), but they didn't answer that one, which is a bit disappointing.

How does the Ohme's charging schedules interoperate with preconditioning? Presumably the Ohme cuts the power to the car outside of the off-peak hours, so the car would drain the battery when preconditioning even though its plugged in?
ItshardtobuyId3

Post by ItshardtobuyId3 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:30 pm If you set the price restriction and nothing else its as good as scheduling 0030 to 0430 on Octopus GO.

Just keep an eye out for Cherry's cousin trying to bum a free charge at peak times. 😀
Yeah it dawned on me earlier that with the price restrictions set it doesn’t really make much difference what you schedule.

I think (and I’m really not sure) that the schedule I have now would stop Cherry’s cousin bumming a free charge of she tried it 😁
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Cupra Born V1 with Typhoon Alloys - Aurora Blue - Tech pack L
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:01 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:30 pm If you set the price restriction and nothing else its as good as scheduling 0030 to 0430 on Octopus GO.

Yeah it dawned on me earlier that with the price restrictions set it doesn’t really make much difference what you schedule.

I think (and I’m really not sure) that the schedule I have now would stop Cherry’s cousin bumming a free charge of she tried it 😁
Who said a cousin and she?
Can the charging restrictions be set manually from the control panel of the charger and override anything set from the app?
9 Sep 21 Ordered ID.3 Family Pro, Stonewashed Blue & East Derry
13 Sep 21 PCP approved. VW No: 3131xxxx
24 Sep 21 Temp build wk43, conf' 46
22 Nov 21 Conf' build wk 49
10 Jan 22 Code 38 Awaiting ship-release (wk48 build)
01 March preferred collection
ItshardtobuyId3

SteveH wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:38 pm
ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:02 am Unfortunately this won’t work properly with the ID3 from what I can tell as it can’t access the car from an API yet! Will be good when it can though.
I have queried ID.3 API integration and Ohme told me that it's on the 2022 roadmap but they can't give a time frame.

I did ask them if they have an API that I can use to update the the charger with the car's SoC (since I use the VW API to monitor the battery level myself), but they didn't answer that one, which is a bit disappointing.

How does the Ohme's charging schedules interoperate with preconditioning? Presumably the Ohme cuts the power to the car outside of the off-peak hours, so the car would drain the battery when preconditioning even though its plugged in?
Hopefully it won’t be long because without it the smart functions don’t really do anything. I did know that before I bought it but now I’ve got the app I’ve realised just how much it hobbles it. Tbh though 90% of the time I’d want it only charging in the off-peak zone away.

I don’t have the car to try it with but I assume it would cut the power. However if it was still plugged you can switch on maximum charging from the app to override the schedule or I suppose you could create one for 100% during the time the preconditioning would happen and turn off the unit cost charging restriction from the app if you needed the range.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
ItshardtobuyId3

Cherry wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:11 pm
ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:01 pm

Who said a cousin and she?
Can the charging restrictions be set manually from the control panel of the charger and override anything set from the app?
Just had to take a stab at the gender. Sounded better than it! 😁 In today’s brave new world there are to many pronouns to chose from… I suppose they is the safest bet!

I don’t know because the control panel basically does nothing without a car connected. All I can do is see the charge info (like firmware version and who it’s is registered to) and reboot it. That’s all it does without a car connected.

I think you can override anything set from the charger except of the target of the current schedule is set to 0% as that is supposed to lock it.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:12 pm However if it was still plugged you can switch on maximum charging from the app to override the schedule or I suppose you could create one for 100% during the time the preconditioning would happen and turn off the unit cost charging restriction from the app if you needed the range.
Yes, just seems like a faff. The more I think about it, the more I realise that having the charger control the charging is a huge bodge, and probably one that will go away at some point. The car should really be in control of its own charging times (possibly with some communication with the charger to find out what tariff it's on) so that preconditioning, etc. works without having to configure both the car and the charger. Its such a shame that the car's software isn't capable of doing this stuff itself.
ItshardtobuyId3

SteveH wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:24 pm
ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:12 pm However if it was still plugged you can switch on maximum charging from the app to override the schedule or I suppose you could create one for 100% during the time the preconditioning would happen and turn off the unit cost charging restriction from the app if you needed the range.
Yes, just seems like a faff. The more I think about it, the more I realise that having the charger control the charging is a huge bodge, and probably one that will go away at some point. The car should really be in control of its own charging times (possibly with some communication with the charger to find out what tariff it's on) so that preconditioning, etc. works without having to configure both the car and the charger. Its such a shame that the car's software isn't capable of doing this stuff itself.
I totally agree. I struggle to see the point in a smart charger when the car could do the same thing.

It was probably a good idea until car manufacturers started adding internet access to their products but now it all seems a bit pointless. Surely it won’t be long before VW add the ability to enter your Energy tariff and provider.

Just looking at this from the U.K. perspective, it makes sense to lob money at things you want to change because it kicks things off and makes invocation worthwhile. It doesn’t necessarily mean things pan out as you expected.

Smart home chargers seem pretty pointless when your car can do the same thing. It could actually make it more confusing. I think my Ohme + the ID3 is going to be a lot like plugging an Amazon plug into another Amazon plug.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

^ When the charger seems to manage charging more intelligently than the car, leave the scheduling to the charger. The car should be able to do such a simple task, but on its current software it can't.
Last edited by monkeyhanger on Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

I've had an odd one the past couple of days...

I've been charging the car off a granny cable since we got the car before Christmas, with the preferred charging times set something like midnight until 06:30, no departure time set, max charge 80%. It always misjudged the charge speed, so by 06:30 it wasn't charged to 80% on time, but kept going after 06:30 until it had reached 80%. I had the Ohme installed on Wednesday, not set up any charging schedules or anything on the charger itself, but now the car stops charging dead on 06:30, even though it hasn't reached 80% full.

I'll have a play with setting departure times, but I'm not really sure how this is supposed to work. I suppose if you aren't departing it makes sense for the car to avoid charging outside the preferred times since it can just top it off the following night, but it seems odd that the behaviour seems to have changed from my earlier experiences with the granny cable.

(ID.3 1st, v2.1 software, and yes I know that the ID.3's scheduled charging is known to be all kinds of broken).

Until the energy market settles down a bit I can't change to a tariff with cheaper off-peak power, so it isn't a big deal for the moment, but I was trying to use the scheduled charging to charge when the grid has a lower carbon intensity.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

Interesting: I left my preferred times the same (00:00-06:30) but set a 07:00 departure time. This time is charged from 40% to 77% by 04:30, stopped charging, then started again at 06:17 and hit the 80% target at 06:29.