I'm a bit worried about the range

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

Ours spends a great deal of time commuting on the motorway and 80% gives around 135-145 depending on weather and if driver kept to anywhere near 70!

Maximum we have seen is 165, but it’s not driven for economy at all !
1st Edition Makena Turquoise Metallic
2.4 update complete

OllyExeterID3

Post by OllyExeterID3 »

Hoppy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:08 pm Ours spends a great deal of time commuting on the motorway and 80% gives around 135-145 depending on weather and if driver kept to anywhere near 70!

Maximum we have seen is 165, but it’s not driven for economy at all !
Wow! After a (pre lockdown) winter drive from Devon to Cambridge and back, we got an estimated 180 from 100% down to 22%. My wife commutes on A roads/dual carriageway, recent warm weather gave us 198 miles at 80% which stayed true as she commuted (66 mile round trip reduced expected range to 132 miles). But then again both of us are nervous drivers and tend to cruise in the inside lane at 66/67mph over long journeys. As with anything, depends on what the car is used for - as you say, if not driven for economy, predicted range will fall (and sounds like you are well aware of this!).
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I have had to increase my mileage recently and with slightly better temperatures see a regular projected range of 250+. After charging Im seeing better than 200 miles at 80% charge.
I have a nervous passenger so on longer runs Im around 65mph or so. When I drive solo Im a bit more rapid but the journeys tend to be shorter.
The best I have seen is 211 at 80% proj 264 miles.
My most recent drive set up picked up from a tip from a regular here (cant remember the post) is to have all auto regen OFF and drive with greater anticipation and coast up to traffic, junctions roundabouts ETC. I think the post said that regen braking recouped around 80% of energy but by coasting and greater anticipation you can gain some of that lost 20%. Breaking gently where needed is of course regen and I enjoy driving that way. My LTA over 1350 miles is now close to 4 miles/kw.
Im very happy with the range.

Screenshot_20210412-085200.jpg

1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
OllyExeterID3

Post by OllyExeterID3 »

Daveion wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:45 am I have had to increase my mileage recently and with slightly better temperatures see a regular projected range of 250+. After charging Im seeing better than 200 miles at 80% charge.
I have a nervous passenger so on longer runs Im around 65mph or so. When I drive solo Im a bit more rapid but the journeys tend to be shorter.
The best I have seen is 211 at 80% proj 264 miles.
My most recent drive set up picked up from a tip from a regular here (cant remember the post) is to have all auto regen OFF and drive with greater anticipation and coast up to traffic, junctions roundabouts ETC. I think the post said that regen braking recouped around 80% of energy but by coasting and greater anticipation you can gain some of that lost 20%. Breaking gently where needed is of course regen and I enjoy driving that way. My LTA over 1350 miles is now close to 4 miles/kw.
Im very happy with the range.
Great post and I entirely agree! The section of the M5 I use regularly has some long straights and the 'D' mode is a great way to cruise (and of course in ACC too on longer journeys). Agree about anticipation too - I don't like tailgating anyway but giving good distance and slowing down appropriately really do help with efficient driving (and obvs even in an ICE car) - this is really noticeable in an EV where every action can either recoup or 'spend' energy. I am a nervous driver so prefer to drive in this way anyway. I quite like looking on this forum for tips too - will be interested to see whether any of us can hit a "260" miler real-world driving day!
gwr

Post by gwr »

Our first lockdown trip, coast to coast across highland Scotland and back today came in at 3.9miles/kWh, in other words 166 miles with 80 allegedly still available from a 100% charge, at an average of 44 mph. Temperatures were 8-13C, there were no dual carriageways and speeds from 60 for miles to single track roads. That's pretty much as advertised, I think.
gwr

ID3 Tech 2.3

N Scotland
Jaysson

Post by Jaysson »

Gwr - where do ye cum fae?

I’m from Kyle, but live down south.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

gwr wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:10 pm Our first lockdown trip, coast to coast across highland Scotland and back today came in at 3.9miles/kWh, in other words 166 miles with 80 allegedly still available from a 100% charge, at an average of 44 mph. Temperatures were 8-13C, there were no dual carriageways and speeds from 60 for miles to single track roads. That's pretty much as advertised, I think.
Bet that was a great drive. I have family in Dingwall and Cromarty. Beautiful. No worries with the range for you!
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
gwr

Post by gwr »

It was, thanks, though weird after 5 months stuck east of the A9. The only place I felt I could take the car for the first month was Cromarty (to collect pizzas!).
gwr

ID3 Tech 2.3

N Scotland
OllyExeterID3

Post by OllyExeterID3 »

Great drive out yesterday, only a 30 mile round trip but 4.9mi/kWh, showing 92 miles at 35% by end of joruney! Very happy with these stats - AC off, Eco mode, B mode on all the time, mixture of motorway, country B-roads and coastal roads. Massively helped by 20/30mph zones near destination I think. But best efficiency I have had so far. Was funny too because day started off frosty, so mileage dropped rapidly from 117 miles at 50% to 99 at 45%. Return journey was after car sitting in sunshine which helped.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Good run.
Better weather reducing range anxieties!
Im doing a 100 mile round trip today and hoping for a similar performance. Mainly motorway though so maybe not going to get 4.9m/kw.
Anything over 4 would be good.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
BeingGinger

Post by BeingGinger »

I have the ID.3 Tour and had a projected range of just 254 miles on a 100% charge today, (which is quite a long way short of the WLTP of 336).

I'd like to see the figure on my car's screen, even if I don't actually get it because of temperature, driving style etc... It will be interesting to see how the range improves as the weather improves...
OllyExeterID3

Post by OllyExeterID3 »

Check out the EV database https://ev-database.uk/ for "real world" figures for the car - this gives an indication of expected range in all conditions. WLTP is very misleading, not impossible but implies very best conditions at all times.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Am I worried about the range?
86 mile round trip to Bedgebury. Mainly M25 Motorway + A21 and local roads.
Average 4.1 miles/kw. 86% charge depart 51% on return. Actual mileage matched battery screen data almost exactly. Didn't record average speed. M25 usual stop start either 65mph or crawling.
Ambient 12.5C. No heating. 2 in car and 2 MTBs.
Still very happy with the range and loving the drive.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
gwr

Post by gwr »

The predicted range takes no account of altitude which seems a bit weird when you've set a destination. On a very low battery yesterday I had to climb and descend a long hill (sea level to 331m), which led the difference between journey left and and battery left to fall to about 10 miles. But after descending it was back to 20, and that's how it ended at my sea-level home. Not something I'm planning to do normally, btw. Total trip on 100% battery with 7% left, 210 miles.
gwr

ID3 Tech 2.3

N Scotland
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

It seems a reasonable point but how would the software know wether you are five up with a boot load at max kerb weight or solo?
The difference in energy used climbing 300m would be significant. Interesting point though.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

It struggles to guess correctly at the best of times, without having to take changes in altitude into account... What about wind direction, number of passengers, whether the dog is in the boot...?
gwr

Post by gwr »

I had assumed that it would modify the prediction based on energy usage as the journey progresses. I imagine it's getting all the real-time data, but perhaps not.
gwr

ID3 Tech 2.3

N Scotland
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

It does,

You’ll see the range change if you switch all the climate off, if you switch between the Eco/Comfort/Sport modes, if your right foot gets very VERY heavy when it has not been...

But it can’t predict the future in terms of any of the factors I mentioned in my previous reply.