I'm a bit worried about the range

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
CraigLes

Post by CraigLes »

Knowing that it's one of the major concerns with most electric car models, does anyone have any reliable info/anecdotes on the range of the ID.3? Cheers

Rhevian

Post by Rhevian »

See Chris from BatteryLife:

My own experience over the first weekend:after 95 miles I was down to 55%, topped up to 80%, another 52 miles left SoC at 60%
So total 147 miles for 65% of battery works out to approx 226 total. This was not all smooth and steady 56mph, it was a mix of single-carriageway a-roads, country lanes, and only about 25miles of dual carriageway (cruise control set to 68)
silver6d

Post by silver6d »

Hi,
I have just charged my ID3 (called Heidi by the way) at home to 80%, it gives the range as just over 180 miles. Assuming you don't want to run the battery flat just down to 10% charge, that reduces the usable range to about 160 miles, or 80 miles (129 km) out and 80 miles (129km) back.

Regards
Silver
Purplemeanie

Post by Purplemeanie »

[ EDITED TO ADD MORE DETAIL]

I’m just on a trip from Bristol to Cornwall for the week and we’re getting a usable range of about 150-200 miles which is very dependent on driving style. If we travel at 70mph (agh-hum!) on the motorway then its more like 150. Leaving a 10% safety margin meant we had to charge twice on the 200mile trip from Bristol to Lands-End. We left Bristol with 100% in the tank.

It was a rather hilarious experience, meeting the same people in successive charging locations - they were mostly in i-Paces’s. Exeter services were full (3 stations in use, 3 cars waiting ahead of us), so decided not to wait in-line there and moved on to next location.

The first Cornwall Services was only AC and took 45mins to get hardly any charge, probably about 8kWh. That’s probably about right for fast AC but I was hoping for a one stop strategy on the trip and was rather hoping for a quick DC fix and blast on down the A30. We had to use AC because the DC CCS hookup wouldn’t talk to the car and we got a red LED on the indicator next to the car’s CCS socket. Two other cars tried the CCS hookup after us and both failed to get it working. A guy in a white van said he charged there 3 times a day (lucky him) and said he was always seeing people try and use the ccs charger and fail. Just sounds like a faulty ccs hookup - it did look a bit beaten up.

Then the second Cornwall Services did manage a decent DC charge while we had a coffee, but of course we got talking to all sorts of people while we waited in line for access to a charger.

So, three stops and two charging sessions achieved. And it took 6 hours to do the 200miles!

It’s disappointing but I’ve seen other cars reportedly reduce their range by 34% when shifting from a 56mph cruising up to 75mph.

This is going to be a big learning experience for us with our first EV!

I’m clearly going to have to take it easy if I want more range.
ID3 1st Edition
Delivered 30/9/2020
www.purplemeanie.co.uk
NorwichComputersAndy

Post by NorwichComputersAndy »

I too have been a bit concerned regarding range - ultimately need our ID to achieve 160miles from Norwich to Canterbury - it will happen soon!
OllyExeterID3

Post by OllyExeterID3 »

We are getting our I.D.3 on Friday after having had a 33kWh BMW i3 for 2 years. The main thing to remember about the WLTP range is this is in ideal conditions and generally not attainable unless you drive at absolute maximum efficiency - it has always been a red herring when it comes to showing the genuinely attainable range of any EV. As a guide, our i3 has always been very efficient but we struggle to eek out the WLTP range of 110-120 miles. We can get 130 miles during summer (20 degrees, light wind conditions) but as little as 80 miles during the winter. I suspect similarly, expect an 'average' range of around about 210 miles for the I.D.3 - with up to 260 miles in summer but potentially as little as 160 miles in winter. For NorwichComputersAndy, I would say 160 miles sounds completely attainable - particularly if you intend to use the Eco mode and B mode for maximum regen. I would be interested to hear more anecdotes as the I.D.3 'beds-in'.
Sindidziwa

Post by Sindidziwa »

We tried coming down from Middlesbrough to mid-Beds in October but I chickened out and we detoured to Ionity at Leeds M1 service station. One reason for this is the overestimation of range (my diesel did this too, though on a 700 - 750 mile range ;) )

I was wondering about the difference in total time between a 56 mph trip that might make it all the whole 210 miles or the 70 mph version with a stop? If those were your average speeds then you'd have 45 mins for the stop.
F11_MWG

Post by F11_MWG »

Charged mine to 100% this morning and managed 180 miles before it went to zero! 3 miles from my house, had the Turtle symbol as I was reversing onto my drive... don't fancy doing that again!
Jel

Post by Jel »

I'm pretty disappointed in the range so far. I only managed to get 90 miles of range from 75% of battery usage. This is in town driving on short 10 / 30 mins trips each time.

This is in 5-10c temps and with heating set to 21c so I'm expecting some range drop but 90 miles is really shocking when its listed as getting 250 miles.
Sindidziwa

Post by Sindidziwa »

F11_MWG wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:56 pm Charged mine to 100% this morning and managed 180 miles before it went to zero! 3 miles from my house, had the Turtle symbol as I was reversing onto my drive... don't fancy doing that again!
Wow - that's brave! I haven't dared go down below about 15% :mrgreen:
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Jel wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:09 pm I'm pretty disappointed in the range so far. I only managed to get 90 miles of range from 75% of battery usage. This is in town driving on short 10 / 30 mins trips each time.

This is in 5-10c temps and with heating set to 21c so I'm expecting some range drop but 90 miles is really shocking when its listed as getting 250 miles.

Lots of stop/start?

Pre-heating the cabin while it's on charge or just getting in and letting the cabin heat up?

(These 2 things have a massive influence on the batteries, for all EVs)
Jel

Post by Jel »

scott28tt wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:25 pm
Jel wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:09 pm I'm pretty disappointed in the range so far. I only managed to get 90 miles of range from 75% of battery usage. This is in town driving on short 10 / 30 mins trips each time.

Lots of stop/start?

Pre-heating the cabin while it's on charge or just getting in and letting the cabin heat up?

(These 2 things have a massive influence on the batteries, for all EVs)
Yes its a lot of short trips during the week. around 2/5 miles on average. There has been some manual pre heating (3/5 mins before getting in once a day) and I was expecting some extra battery usage but I'm surprised at how much range is lost.
DanLondon

Post by DanLondon »

I’ve similarly had very disappointing ranges - only managed 85 miles before I got down to about 20 percent on the most recent 80 percent charge. On one occasion I did heat the car in advance for about ten min, I’m blaming that (together with the cold temps)!
pdk42

Post by pdk42 »

Short journeys in the cold will have a big impact on range. On a longer run, it's pretty efficient. This is a 322 mile trip today - 17.1 kWh/100km (3.6 miles/kWh). Lots of heavy rain, temps between 0 and 6 deg C. Charged at an E-On rapid - 150kW charger. 40p/kWh and worked faultlessly first time with a contactless debit card payment. I'm pretty happy with that.

130193073_1768221106660570_5838299791988128626_o.jpg

HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

Before I received my car, I worked out that 'fuelling' my electric car would cost me 1/10 of what fuelling my diesel car cost. I got that wrong.

I have a fairly light right foot and my Passat Estate used to do 50MPG on a run, or 40MPG around town. At £1.20/litre, that worked out at between 11p/mile and 13.5p/mile. I worked out that if I charged my car overnight using the Octopus Go tariff of 5p/kWh, and the car did 5M/kWh, that would be 1p/mile. However I'm on Octopus Agile and sometimes the overnight rate is 9p/kWh, and my car does just over 3M/kWh so that's 3p/mile. And if I charge at a public charge point at 40p/kWh, that's 13.3p/mile - and that's as much as my old Passat. Disappointing. The lesson learned is to charge using the £500 credit on my We Charge card, and when that's used up charge at home. And on long journeys console myself with the knowledge that it's not actually more expensive than a diesel car...
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot
pdk42

Post by pdk42 »

HeidiFlowerpot wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:28 am Before I received my car, I worked out that 'fuelling' my electric car would cost me 1/10 of what fuelling my diesel car cost. I got that wrong.

I have a fairly light right foot and my Passat Estate used to do 50MPG on a run, or 40MPG around town. At £1.20/litre, that worked out at between 11p/mile and 13.5p/mile. I worked out that if I charged my car overnight using the Octopus Go tariff of 5p/kWh, and the car did 5M/kWh, that would be 1p/mile. However I'm on Octopus Agile and sometimes the overnight rate is 9p/kWh, and my car does just over 3M/kWh so that's 3p/mile. And if I charge at a public charge point at 40p/kWh, that's 13.3p/mile - and that's as much as my old Passat. Disappointing. The lesson learned is to charge using the £500 credit on my We Charge card, and when that's used up charge at home. And on long journeys console myself with the knowledge that it's not actually more expensive than a diesel car...
And in fact, at Ionity's outrageous 69p/kWh, it's even more expensive than an ICE per mile. When you consider that about 60% of the price of petrol/diesel is tax it's even more scandalous.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

HeidiFlowerpot wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:28 am Before I received my car, I worked out that 'fuelling' my electric car would cost me 1/10 of what fuelling my diesel car cost. I got that wrong.

My Mercedes C350 CDi used to average about 35mpg, I estimated that home charging my ID.3 would cost about 1/3 - as you say though it's a different story when public charging...
Sindidziwa

Post by Sindidziwa »

I had a Passat estate that was doing 55 mpg on long runs in summer (700 miles on 60 litres) but tootling around in Winter was much less than that. I'm on Agile as well using a Granny lead - on cold, foggy calm days the lowest rates are about 9p as you say but when the wind gets up it's cheaper (6p tonight). I didn't go for Go as I have air source heating so my daily usage (including charging id.3 can be up to 85 kWh) averaging 12 - 14 p/kWh. Roll on summer when we may get paid to charge! I think our efficiency may increase from 3 to 4 miles/kWh as well!
Nick Jan

Post by Nick Jan »

I've also noticed a massive drop in range once cruising at 70 mph. I'd thought driving from Shoreham-by-sea to Norwich would be well in range of ID3; later thought maybe only in summer, now I wonder if its in range at all using M23, M25, M11 for most of trip!?
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

Nick Jan wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:58 pm I've also noticed a massive drop in range once cruising at 70 mph. I'd thought driving from Shoreham-by-sea to Norwich would be well in range of ID3; later thought maybe only in summer, now I wonder if its in range at all using M23, M25, M11 for most of trip!?
From my limited experience, even in winter cruising at 60mph it should be within range, but not in winter cruising at 70mph, however if the battery was pre-heated or temperature above about 8C, driven in Eco/D for cruising parts then may make it.
However some others seem to be getting more even in winter at 70mph than I do.
I really hope / believe in summer should be no problem, otherwise we have been seriously mis-sold the vehicle.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire