Running down the 12volt battery

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
LongMynd

Post by LongMynd »

We want to sit in the car and read for an hour (after dark). The reading lights go out automatically unless you switch the car on (brake pedal or button on the side of the steering column).
If we switch the car on and read with the reading lights for an hour is there a risk of running down the battery and then finding that we can't start the car?
If the reading light, radio and heating/air con are all on what's the risk then?
I would be glad of others experience and/or thoughts.
Charles.
ID.3 Tour with heat-pump

steviebabes

Post by steviebabes »

I doubt an hour will cause any problems, LED lights and screens don't use much. The heater uses the main battery so will knock a few miles off your range.
ID3 Life Pro Performance Glacier White Andoya 19in Alloys
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

The 12v battery is charged by the main batteries but not sure that applies if stationary with drive OFF.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
LongMynd

Post by LongMynd »

Thanks both.
Charles.
ID.3 Tour with heat-pump
mediaguy

Post by mediaguy »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/insideevs. ... ssues/amp/ suggests it happens when the car is not running.
Life Pro MY23 with Interior Style Plus + Assistance Plus + Infotainment Plus
StuartT

Post by StuartT »

LongMynd wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:57 am We want to sit in the car and read for an hour (after dark). The reading lights go out automatically unless you switch the car on (brake pedal or button on the side of the steering column).
If we switch the car on and read with the reading lights for an hour is there a risk of running down the battery and then finding that we can't start the car?
If the reading light, radio and heating/air con are all on what's the risk then?
I would be glad of others experience and/or thoughts.
This may answers some energy consumption questions and I'd imagine if the car is switched on it shouldn't affect the 12v battery.
Glacier white, Life Pro. August 2021