What do I need?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Flaming76

Post by Flaming76 »

Ok, so delivery is still a while away but, which apps / contracts am I going to need? I’ll predominately be charging at home but will occasionally be travelling up the line from Cornwall to Liverpool. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Fam Pro Perf, 19” Andoya alloys, bike rack prep in turquoise.
Ordered 20.10.21 dealer placed order 25.10.21
Estimated delivery early May 2022, now status 20 build week 38, status 60 early Nov, delivery December!!
Order No 31515***

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Essentials:
WeConnect ID (but can't set it up until your car arrives)
The app for your home charger
Zapmap to see rapid chargers available on longer routes

Optionals:
ABRP (a route planner with chargers) to get charger ideas for your longer route, but I wouldn't rely on it
Specific charger network apps if you want to use one that needs an app on your route - but most you will use take contactless now and there is definitely no point looking for any of these apps before you have the car and a route in mind.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Flaming76

Post by Flaming76 »

Cool, thank you. Is the there a benefit to using an app over contactless payment? Is it worth paying the subscription to zap map or just using the free version?
Estimated delivery early May 2022, now status 20 build week 38, status 60 early Nov, delivery December!!
Order No 31515***
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

I (and I think most people) just use free zapmap to research chargers on a route beforehand.
I haven't been doing it for long enough to answer your other question. Some advise getting apps as well just in case the contactless payment doesn't work - it gives you a backup. I downloaded the Instavolt, Osprey and MFG apps. The only one to take my payment details without an error was the Osprey one. The MFG app failed completely and was really buggy so I deleted it and had them remove all their records of me... but contactless worked fine at the charger and they have clear instructions.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Some chargers like Podpoint - common at Tesco and Lidl - need an app. I've also never been able to get Genie chargers to work withough the app. But for 90% of the rest you can use contactless.

Where the apps are useful are if you need a receipt - and they generally give better 'real time' information on availability. Zapmap can tap into the API of some charger networks to give updates, but those in the apps of the actual network seem better at updating. Some apps (Instavolt) also give you live data on how much you're taking on during a charge.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

MotMot wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:21 pm Some chargers like Podpoint - common at Tesco and Lidl - need an app. I've also never been able to get Genie chargers to work withough the app. But for 90% of the rest you can use contactless.

Where the apps are useful are if you need a receipt - and they generally give better 'real time' information on availability. Zapmap can tap into the API of some charger networks to give updates, but those in the apps of the actual network seem better at updating. Some apps (Instavolt) also give you live data on how much you're taking on during a charge.
I thought all public chargers had to allow contactless payment these days, no?
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Scratch wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:18 pm
MotMot wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:21 pm Some chargers like Podpoint - common at Tesco and Lidl - need an app. I've also never been able to get Genie chargers to work withough the app. But for 90% of the rest you can use contactless.

No. All have to allow payment via card without an app but contactless is only one way of achieving that.

Many give a website to go to to enter your details and start a charge. The obvious downside is you need a smartphone, data, power for your smartphone, and mobile phone coverage.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Utumno wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:32 pm

No. All have to allow payment via card without an app but contactless is only one way of achieving that.

Many give a website to go to to enter your details and start a charge. The obvious downside is you need a smartphone, data, power for your smartphone, and mobile phone coverage.
That’s what I meant, sorry. So why do Podpoints at Tesco or Lidl need an app?
steviebabes

Post by steviebabes »

The Podpoint app is very good, you can check availability and add a credit card to your account. I was quite surprised how cheap the 50kW DC charger was, 28p per unit, about the same as everyone will be paying at home soon. This was at Tesco, they may be higher at Lidl. A full charge for about £14 so much cheaper than petrol/diesel.
ID3 Life Pro Performance Glacier White Andoya 19in Alloys
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

You also need the podpoint app to start free charges (eg at Tesco)
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Scratch wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:16 pm
Utumno wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:32 pm

That’s what I meant, sorry. So why do Podpoints at Tesco or Lidl need an app?

They don’t. You can claim a charge from the PodPoint website without logging in or installing the app. If the charger is pay-to-use then you can enter card details for a one-time purchase.

PodPoint rapids are all contactless as well I think, removing all the website browsing faff.
Tesla Model Y Long Range

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Afraid not Utumno - the 7and 22kw free podpoints at Tesco will start a charge automatically - but then stop it five min later unless you confirm it with the app.

Also the podpoint rapids at Lidl can only be started with the app. The tritium rapids at tescos can be started with a tap or app.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

MotMot wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:37 pm Afraid not Utumno - the 7and 22kw free podpoints at Tesco will start a charge automatically - but then stop it five min later unless you confirm it with the app.

Also the podpoint rapids at Lidl can only be started with the app. The tritium rapids at tescos can be started with a tap or app.

Interesting, as their website claims otherwise. Not suggesting you’re wrong, but if that doesn’t work then I think they’re in breach of their gov.uk obligations.

However I’ve just pretended to claim a charge at a Lidl rapid in Wallingford through their website and it’s taken me on the full guest journey all the way to £30 preauthorised payment and enter a credit card without logging into either their app or website.

So I’m pretty sure you don’t need the app to start a charge. Im not claiming the customer journey doesn’t push you toward the app - it does. But it doesn’t require it, and nor do you need to signup. It’s certainly easier through the app/account though.
Last edited by Utumno on Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tesla Model Y Long Range

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Most of the Lidl rapids possibly went in before legislation. The posts are free - so I guess legislation doesn’t count?
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

That’s also entirely possible, I’m not sure about the free posts at all. The one I looked at was a 50kW charger at £0.26/kWh.
Tesla Model Y Long Range

SunithM

Post by SunithM »

MotMot wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:47 pm Most of the Lidl rapids possibly went in before legislation. The posts are free - so I guess legislation doesn’t count?
Seems that way, I've used the free podpoint ones at shopping centres quite a few times and always had to confirm the charge in the app.

That being said our local council have just installed 2 new EB chargers in a car park and there's no way to pay without having the app installed.
ID.3 Max Pro Performance in Manganese Grey
Ordered 19-Jul-2021
Order no 31384xxx
Cancelled 15-Feb-2022 with car stuck in limbo
Flaming76

Post by Flaming76 »

Great info, thank you all for your input.
Order No 31515***