Max charge rate between 20-80% ? ID3 Pure Performance

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
duckworthsj

Post by duckworthsj »

Does anyone know the 'real world' max charge rate for the 204PS 58KW model ? Since it has been stated that the charge rate drops above 80%, let's stay with the 'between 20 and 80%'

I am interested to know this, because many of the public chargers over here are:
1) 'per minute' and there is often a difference is fee if you are connected to a 'high speed' (300KWh DC) charger versus a (may be adequately fast) 50kw/h AC charger.
2) Some chargers (particularly Freshmile) have a flat connection fee (typically 0.5Euro and then a fee per KW/h

I am seeing also high speed chargers have a 'ramp-up' time where the charge rate is substantially below 'nameplate'. eg a 300KW charger delivers 5-7KW for the first few minutes and a peak also well below nameplate.
This has a (not unsubstantial) impact on predicted charge times and therefore total journey time often given in 'planned route' applications.

The fee is also dependent on whose RFID card you use, and what 'plan' you are on.
Example with Ionity charger at autoroute services: her are the recent published fees per RFID card plan.
VW WeCharge (base plan 'free subscription'): 0,79 Euro/minute for 350KWDC charger - same for 43KW AC charger
ChargeMap (subscription 19 Euro annual) : 0.87 Euro/minute for 350KWDC charger 0,44 Euro/min for 43KWAC charger
Mini Charge (free for first year of Mini ownership): same as VW card for 350KWDC charger 0.3 Euro/min for 43KWAC charger - we have 2 EV ID3 and Mini Cooper SE

So if the ID3 cannot take more than 40KW/h then 'theoretically' and where there is a choice of charger, I might be better to use the 43KWh charger and pay with the Mini RFID card.

Thank you.
Hers: ID3 204ch Pro Performance Denim Blue Black Roof. East Derry alloys, Pack Comfort Plus, Pack Assistance Plus.
His: Mini Cooper S-Electric 184ch ‘Yours’ (UK Level 3) Chili Red, Black Pack, Heat Reflective Windows… And lots of fun

monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

There's lots of threads on here about this, but in Summary, the ID3 maxes out at 125 kW (a few models have 135kW max).

You won't get anywhere near max when you first plug in a cold battery (If you've been driving a while and then plug in, that battery may be quite warm). The speed will ramp up when the battery is warm enough to take a high rate of charge, and it will slowly drop off above 80%.

I've used a 120kW charger to charge from 15% to 100% in 48 minutes on a long journey,seeing rates maxing out at 87kWh.

The speed curtailing is primarily about protecting the battery.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

My own limited experience so far is:
- one charge on a 50kW charger where I got about 45kW flat for 10 minutes (that was all I needed)
- one on a 150 kW charger where I plugged in at 30%, started at 45kW and gradually increased to 55kW then stayed there all the way to 75% when I unplugged
- one on a 75 kW charger where I plugged in at 15%, started at 55kW and gradually increased to 65 kW by about 30% and stayed there until 40% when I unplugged.

So in summary, all very middling. I haven't seen fast rates but I haven't seen anything remotely as low as 5-7kW either, even for a few seconds. The outside temperature was around 5-7C for the first two charges above and about 10C for the third, roughly. I had been driving for at least 15 minutes in each case (longer for the 150kW case.) On the third one, I drove in a more 'spirited' way than usual to the charger (more acceleration and regen) in the hope of increasing the battery temperature and charge rate but I don't know how much difference it made (it was nothing like as extreme as TeslaBjorns yo-yoing.)
I don't know where you live in France but the warmer temperatures there should help a bit. I'm sure I read somewhere that to get the maximum charge rates you need the minimum battery temp to be over 25C.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
duckworthsj

Post by duckworthsj »

Thank you both. Your real-life experience is valuable.

I didn’t stay around to watch how the charge ramped up. I just saw how it was during first 5 minutes.

Certainly some stops may have been on the basis of ‘splash and go’ where the battery level may already be high. We were following a ‘journey plan’ the from ChargeMap app.
On the particular ‘long’ journey of 600Km the temperature didn’t go above 8C and was 90% autoroute.
I will pay more attention to the detail on the next long journey.

I live in North East France, and can assure you in winter it is not ‘warm’. We have weeks were the temperature can stay close to, or below 0C. Certainly if you get down to the Cote d’Azure they have had 14-17C during the day….
Hers: ID3 204ch Pro Performance Denim Blue Black Roof. East Derry alloys, Pack Comfort Plus, Pack Assistance Plus.
His: Mini Cooper S-Electric 184ch ‘Yours’ (UK Level 3) Chili Red, Black Pack, Heat Reflective Windows… And lots of fun
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:41 am There's lots of threads on here about this, but in Summary, the ID3 maxes out at 125 kW (a few models have 135kW max).

You won't get anywhere near max when you first plug in a cold battery (If you've been driving a while and then plug in, that battery may be quite warm). The speed will ramp up when the battery is warm enough to take a high rate of charge, and it will slowly drop off above 80%.

I've used a 120kW charger to charge from 15% to 100% in 48 minutes on a long journey,seeing rates maxing out at 87kWh.

The speed curtailing is primarily about protecting the battery.
The Tour maxes at 125kW models built recently were said to be 135kW but has VW actually delivered a Tour in the last 6 months?

All other ID.3s max out at 100kW unless again it was built and delivered very recently and it was suggested to be 120kW (VW Announced this in July 2021) not sure how many cars they have delivered with this option. I think I have seen 1 individual see over 100kW rate recently.
If your battery is warm (20C+) but not TOO warm.. and your SoC is below 10% then you'll possibly see nearly 100kW on a suitable charger for a few minutes.
Not sure what you mean by a ramp up time, the charger will deliver what is asked of it up to it's maximum, it's all managed by the cars BMS and the ramp up time is probably battery warm up time. (as said above, if you arrive with Low SoC and a hot battery you'll get a max charge rate pretty quickly but it's all downhill from there. If I was attached to a Rapid and it was only showing 7kW for more than a minute I would probably stop and restart the charge.

With the kind of circumstances you are talking about, it's just not worth plugging into a charger if you have more than 40% SoC, and you're in a hurry. It would be quicker overall to drive to the next charging point and start with a lower SoC, similar advice stands for charging above 80%.
BeesKnees

Post by BeesKnees »

Real world example in cold weather

350kW charger
Charge from 15% - 80% 37.45kWh 37 minutes. Avg 60kWh . Ramped up to 80kWh for about 10 min and then gradually fell to 45kWh
Life Pro with tow hook Stonewashed Blue
Ordered July , provisional build week 40/41, now 43. Confirmed 45
Order No 3136****
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

G43FAN wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:38 am All other ID.3s max out at 100kW unless again it was built and delivered very recently and it was suggested to be 120kW (VW Announced this in July 2021) not sure how many cars they have delivered with this option. I think I have seen 1 individual see over 100kW rate recently.
I was under the impression that everything except the 1st edition did 125KW?
Hypercube

Post by Hypercube »

Charging curves available in the EV database at https://ev-database.uk/car/1306/Volksw ... erformance Scroll down to the bottom.
duckworthsj

Post by duckworthsj »

Hypercube wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 6:06 pm Charging curves available in the EV database at https://ev-database.uk/car/1306/Volksw ... erformance Scroll down to the bottom.
Super data. Thanks
The curve shows the max charge rate is not kept for very long. The average is 78KWh