For those with Ohme charger.

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

Ohme has released the API integration for the ID.3.
You need to go in and reselect your car and then it will take you to the VW login.
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS Manganese Grey S/W 3.2
On order Skoda Enyaq 85X Sportline Plus

Up the jumper

Post by Up the jumper »

Thanks for that. It seems to work!
Id3 Family Pro 58kwh, moonstone ordered 23/7/21 Picked up 4/3/22
Gloucestershire.
newb-ev

Post by newb-ev »

Thanks, worked for me too
Last edited by newb-ev on Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise
Ordered: 8th July 2021
Currently Status: Picked up from dealer 22/12
fatman

Post by fatman »

sorry reslect where in app or in car
Max PRO Moonstone Grey August 2021. Software v3.2 [dealership]
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

fatman wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:32 pm sorry reslect where in app or in car
Go to Manage My EV>Switch Car and reselect your model.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Well that probably makes an Ohme charger setup the 'best' currently available, as AFAIK it's the only charger setup able to take battery size and SoC into account when charging. Impressive.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
VengefulSeal

Post by VengefulSeal »

Thanks for that update, my charger is being fitted this morning - and Select leasing is showing my delivery for the 4th of next month, and there is a VIN on this mornings update.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Isn't this just the We Connect details, it's not actually getting the information via the car, in which case this is only as reliable as the app? Tronity app has been doing this for months.
chrisfs

Post by chrisfs »

G43FAN wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:51 am Isn't this just the We Connect details, it's not actually getting the information via the car, in which case this is only as reliable as the app? Tronity app has been doing this for months.
It’s in the Ohme app, not the WeConnectid app.

Though I’m not clear what I can now do that I couldn’t before, can anyone explain the benefits please?
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

chrisfs wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:24 am
G43FAN wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:51 am Isn't this just the We Connect details, it's not actually getting the information via the car, in which case this is only as reliable as the app? Tronity app has been doing this for months.

Though I’m not clear what I can now do that I couldn’t before, can anyone explain the benefits please?
Yes, it's in the Ohme app but it's asking you to sign into your VW connect account. It will then use this to pick up the charge data. Useful but not really using the API.. more the API of the API.

The DC side of charging the car communicates directly with the charger, but for this Ohme option you're reliant on getting the SoC from the VW servers assuming the car has uploaded the data. A step forward but would be nice to see a genuine data transfer between car and charger at some point.

Hopefully this will allow you to get a more reliable 'Charge to xx% by 8am' scenario rather than having to guess/work out how many kW are needed to get the battery to said percent and then it still failing.
davidwalton

Post by davidwalton »

I've just added my VW account details to the Ohme app too. I'll test over the next few days.

To be honest, the car has been behaving itself while acting as the charge controller for the last few weeks, even heating the car by a departure time properly (the Ohme has been 'dumb' through this period) - and I'm still on 2.1 software!

The change to using the 'charge-in-one-hour-slots' configuration seems to have been most reliable.

Oh, and I just got the 3 assist error messages (in clear, dry weather) - hopefully, version 2.3 OTA update incoming 🤞
71 / 2021 ID.3 Life Pro Performance, Glacier White, Andoya Wheels
Ohme Go Smart cable / Intelligent Octopus tariff- Octopus £50 bonus referral link: https://share.octopus.energy/steel-goat-168
ItshardtobuyId3

Post by ItshardtobuyId3 »

Newfie wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:14 pm Ohme has released the API integration for the ID.3.
You need to go in and reselect your car and then it will take you to the VW login.
Awesome thanks. Worked for me!
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Cupra Born V1 with Typhoon Alloys - Aurora Blue - Tech pack L
ItshardtobuyId3

G43FAN wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:53 am
chrisfs wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:24 am

Yes, it's in the Ohme app but it's asking you to sign into your VW connect account. It will then use this to pick up the charge data. Useful but not really using the API.. more the API of the API.

The DC side of charging the car communicates directly with the charger, but for this Ohme option you're reliant on getting the SoC from the VW servers assuming the car has uploaded the data. A step forward but would be nice to see a genuine data transfer between car and charger at some point.

Hopefully this will allow you to get a more reliable 'Charge to xx% by 8am' scenario rather than having to guess/work out how many kW are needed to get the battery to said percent and then it still failing.
I still don’t understand why a DC charger can talk directly to the car but AC home chargers can’t.

I’ve set up a little experiment tonight. I’ve turned off the cheap rate restriction on the Ohme app, turned on all the options like, optimise battery life, favour green, save me money etc and asked it for 70% by 7am when the car already has 67% (so it’s not an expensive failure!). So far so good. Plugged in the car, it started charging, then stopped and the charger display says it will start at 02:30am. 🤞
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:51 pm I still don’t understand why a DC charger can talk directly to the car but AC home chargers can’t.

It’s perfectly simple but not logical 😀

DC (CCS) has a high level communication protocol embedded into the standard but Type 2 (AC) does not (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combine ... ing_System)

Thus AC chargers have no access to the information in the car. So the car reporting SoC to VW’s servers which is then consumed by an EVSE is the only viable approach until VW fix the on-car charging settings.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
ItshardtobuyId3

:evil: hi
Utumno wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:36 pm
ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:51 pm I still don’t understand why a DC charger can talk directly to the car but AC home chargers can’t.

It’s perfectly simple but not logical 😀

DC (CCS) has a high level communication protocol embedded into the standard but Type 2 (AC) does not (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combine ... ing_System)

Thus AC chargers have no access to the information in the car. So the car reporting SoC to VW’s servers which is then consumed by an EVSE is the only viable approach until VW fix the on-car charging settings.
Thanks. How bizarre it isn’t included.

My little experiment worked. The car charged back up to 70% during the cheap rate even though it wasn’t restricted to it and the car was set to 80%. My charger is actually smart now! 😁
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
ItshardtobuyId3

This API addition seems very much a work in progress.

I set it to charge to 90% last night as I’m off on a long trip today and woke up in the night to discover it was only charging at 4kW and there was a notification to check the car as it wouldn’t meet the target. I stopped and restarted the charge and it went back to 7kW.

Decided to top up to 100% with a departure time in the Ohme app and it started off at 2.4kW didn’t ramp up then notified me it wouldn’t me the target and to check the car again. So I stopped it. Turned off the favour green and optimise battery options and tried again and it started a 7.4kW.

Anyone else getting this problem?
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Newfie

Post by Newfie »

ItshardtobuyId3 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:40 am This API addition seems very much a work in progress.

I set it to charge to 90% last night as I’m off on a long trip today and woke up in the night to discover it was only charging at 4kW and there was a notification to check the car as it wouldn’t meet the target. I stopped and restarted the charge and it went back to 7kW.

Decided to top up to 100% with a departure time in the Ohme app and it started off at 2.4kW didn’t ramp up then notified me it wouldn’t me the target and to check the car again. So I stopped it. Turned off the favour green and optimise battery options and tried again and it started a 7.4kW.

Anyone else getting this problem?
Yes, I had exactly the same before the API integration, I contacted Ohme about it and they advised me to turn of Optimize for Battery Life and advised me to set up the API.
I haven't yet had the opportunity to try it out with a good charge.
But the 4kW was common and many previous charges and like you say by stopping the charge via We Connect ID and restarting it always set it back to 7kW
It might be worth reporting it to Ohme just in case there is an error within there unit as the more people that report it a better chance of trying to get it resolved.
ItshardtobuyId3

I’ll see if it works tonight with the battery setting off and report it to them if it does.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

For me, Ohme API integration has been a mild PITA, I wish I hadn't bothered. The Ohme was set up to indiscriminately charge either of our 2 ID3s when plugged in, for the 4 hour 5p/kWh window of Octopus Go. Last night I plugged the Lamily in overnight and it didn't charge. I think I know the answer, but won't be 100% sure until tonight.

Thanks to the new integration with the "We connect ID" app, i'm pretty sure that it didn't charge because our ID3 Life was active in that app and subsequently in the Ohme app too, and the Ohme ignored the Family that was plugged in, deciding not to charge it.

If my likely hypothesis is correct, every time I want to charge one car or the other, I have to make sure that within the We connect ID3 app, I have the correct ID3 car active and then re-select ID3 all over again in the Ohme app so it checks what car the We connect ID3 app has active and keeps its credentials to charge specifically tied to that car's ID.

If you've got more than 1 EV in the household to charge, even if they're both ID3s, API integration is a pain!

Update: When I select a car, I have the option of "connect without account" - that doesn't tell me current state of charge for the car, so doesn't appear to be VIN specific, if I leave it like this, hopefully it'll charge both cars indiscriminately again without me picking one or the other in the we connect ID app and then reselecting .a car and logging in.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

That's because it's not really an API it's a fudge. The charger is not comunicating with the car it's communicating with VW's servers and we already know how reliable the We Connect app is. Until SoC is available directly over the Type 2 connector everything is going to be a workaround of some form. Hard to understand why So isn't available via the Type 2 cable.