ID.3 1st - voice control

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

I was under the impression that all ID.3 models with dual zone climate control can control it through voice commands, so that includes the ID.3 1st. Telling my 1st to "defog windows" (voice command) has always given me a "this function is currently unavailable" response, so I contacted VW a couple of months ago about it and after running through some debugging they told me to take it to a dealer. Its in the dealer today to have the broken SOS comms unit replaced (pulling fuse 19 didn't help), so asked if they could have a look at the voice control too and they seem pretty unclear on whether that feature is even supposed to be present on the 1st.

Other climate related voice commands, such as "ventilation off" work, and "defog windows" is listed in the help screen for voice control commands.. Does anyone else know if this should work on the 1st?

(Rant: it really should tell you *why* a function is unavailable, and the help screen shouldn't list commands that aren't supported by your car).

Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

Mines exactly the same , it's never worked and checked to day and got exactly the same message , the voice control in general is rubbish
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw
ItshardtobuyId3

Post by ItshardtobuyId3 »

I asked mine to set the temperature to 20 degrees and after about 5 minutes it told me that can’t be controlled by voice command… which is odd as I’ve seen it done on YouTube. It’s slow bloody slow doing anything it’s rendered pretty useless anyway though.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Cupra Born V1 with Typhoon Alloys - Aurora Blue - Tech pack L
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Works fine here but you really need a good mobile signal. "my feet are cold", "my passenger is cold" etc etc.

But it is SO slow it's hilarious.
Iainicorn

Post by Iainicorn »

Mine doesn’t work either. Hope there’s a solution soon :D
ItshardtobuyId3

Post by ItshardtobuyId3 »

Anduain wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:58 pm Works fine here but you really need a good mobile signal. "my feet are cold", "my passenger is cold" etc etc.

But it is SO slow it's hilarious.
It looks like all the voice processing is happening “in the cloud” but VW have a minimal amount of computers in their cloud. Google, Apple and Amazon had these problems but they are now way ahead.

I’m a bit worried VW has made a massive mistake trying to be better at software than the likes of Google. The systems in cars like the new Megan and Nissan Ariya look great. VW seem to be struggling to get the car to do basic tasks like charge scheduling.

I think the ID3 is a fantastic car but I’m starting to worry it’s a Blackberry about a month after the first iPhone. They cannot and never will be able to outdo Google on software.
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Cupra Born V1 with Typhoon Alloys - Aurora Blue - Tech pack L
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Mildly hilarious you mention BlackBerry negatively. BlackBerry QNX is one of the best automotive hypervisors and has been for many years. It’s likely the hypervisor supporting many Android Automotive vehicle experiences is from BlackBerry 😂

VW’s insistence on building its own ground-up OS stack right down to the hypervisor was a brave decision but I fear it has been under resourced.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
van

Post by van »

Anyone else noticed that her voice starts to sound rather irritated the more you try to to get her to understand what you want? Maybe my imagination 🤔
Family Pro Moonstone Grey
East Derry alloys, Heat pump.
Ordered 5 Aug 21.
Build started 18 Nov 21.
Left Factory 3 Feb 22.
Arrived with dealer 27 Feb 22.
Collected from dealer 9 Mar 22.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

van wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:19 pm Anyone else noticed that her voice starts to sound rather irritated the more you try to to get her to understand what you want? Maybe my imagination 🤔

Are you talking about the car here ? I'm not sure 😂
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Utumno wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:54 pm
van wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:19 pm Anyone else noticed that her voice starts to sound rather irritated the more you try to to get her to understand what you want? Maybe my imagination 🤔

Are you talking about the car here ? I'm not sure 😂
I know that feeling - spent 4 hours yesterday dismantling an old deck and slide platform, cutting all the wood into manageable pieces and getting it to the tip in the car. The wife's take on it was moaning that she had to cook the kids' tea instead of me!
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

The voice control is shocking. I took it off a year ago and am the better for it. Especially re the accidental activations (my eye pain has reduced significantly since my eye rolling stopped)…
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.