Understanding the info screen / range / MP?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

I think I know what you trying to do but as there is no ICE derivative of an ID3 your comparison has to be made with some other ICE model.
Start by working out your cost in pence/mile.
Then make a comparison with your ICE.
My example is my previous Focus ST.
That did 36 mpg.
Work out the cost/ mile based on current fuel cost.
£6.235/gallon. Divide that by 36.
623.5p/36=17.32p/mile
My ID3 is giving me currently 4.3 miles/kW.
Cost is 4.76p/kW so per mile is 4.76/4.3=1.1p/mile.
1.1p/mile ID3
17.32/mile Focus ST
17.32/1.1=15.75. So in my example it would be like the Focus returning 36 miles x 15.75=567 miles/gallon.
Or the ID3 costing me 623.5/15.75=39.6p/gallon equivalent.
The comparison for a 50mpg diesel would obviously be much better.
My 4.76p/kW is my current Octopus Go rate until Nov.
Hope that helps.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22

Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Mikek18mdh wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 8:03 am Does anyone have a calculation for working out and comparing my ID3s electric costs in MPG?
Ok, I'll have go, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong:

1. You need to know what ICE car you are comparing with. I used my previous Ford Fiesta ST. I was getting about 39 mpg on average.
2. You need to know how much a gallon of petrol/diesel is. At the moment I use £7.178 for petrol. That's £1.579 per litre x 4.546 litres per gallon.
3. You need to know your EV efficiency. I use my ID3 long term average of 3.5 miles / KWh.
4. You need to know how much you pay for your electricity. Based on charging at home only, mine is 0.2709 per KWh. (we can't get cheap overnight rates where we live.
And that is a whole other subject.)
5. Now divide the price per gallon by cost per unit of your electricity. This gives the number of units of electricity you can buy for the price of a gallon of fossil fuel.
6. Now multiply the answer from 5 above, by the efficiency of your car.
My answer presently works out at 92.7 mpg. It's going to get a lot worse as the price of electricity increases (October), unless the price of fossil fuel increases accordingly.
I hope I have that right and it makes sense. If someone thinks i'm wrong, please chime in.
Bottom line is I don't really care now. I made the leap to EV for the better driving experience and not polluting. I have a trip coming up where I may have to use the Ionity charging network. At 70 pence a unit it will blow any "cheapness" into the long grass. It will make my mpg equivalent 35.9.
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

I personally find pence/mile much easier to handle to compare ICE and EV.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Utumno wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:21 pm I personally find pence/mile much easier to handle to compare ICE and EV.
I agree. Dead easy to calculate and compare.
MPG obviously has no place in the EV realm and with such variation in the cost/kW charging you can only express what that figure is for you as an individual at any particular time. I don't think my 1.1p/mile will be long lived.
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Utumno wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:21 pm I personally find pence/mile much easier to handle to compare ICE and EV.
I'm sure it is. The only reason I bothered to even calculate my equivalent mpg, was that I was new to EVs, and it seemed the best way to "stroke my ego" that I had made a good decision in changing away from fossil fuel. It's not something I dwell on. Whatever we all drive, will eventually be as expensive as it always has been. EV road tax coming for instance? As i said in my previous post, I am probably going to have to use Ionity to charge on my next trip. Not exactly cheap!