Understanding the info screen / range / MP?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
TheMack

Post by TheMack »

Hi all,

So we picked up our ID3 today after a long wait (Since September). I have been looking around and will carry on playing with things, but I am wondering if someone could help me understand the car info screen (forgot to grab a pic). It is the one that shows the miles done, and something like 4.1 KWh or something in the bottom right, then something similar on teh left about 1/3 way down.

I am assuming this is the equivalent to MPG in an ICE but I am unsure of what they mean and how to determine if the numbers are good bad, and how to guage them for better usage and range.

Many thanks.
ID.3 Family Pro 58kWh
Ordered Sep 2021
Delivered May 2022

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

You can set different settings for this, but most people in the UK use miles/kWh, which is probably set as the default if you have a UK car.
Yes, it's basically the equivalent of mpg. It's literally how many miles you get per kWh of battery used at your current consumption (which varies all the time with driving style, average speed, hills, temperature etc.) There are 58kwh usable in the UK battery.
In summer, 4 is pretty good as an averageon most journeys and 3.5 is pretty good on motorways. It's heavily impacted by average speed. In winter, you can drop those 'good' figures quite a bit as it's also heavily impacted by cold weather. I've had my car since January and my overall long term average since new is 3.3mi/kwh.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
TheMack

Post by TheMack »

sidehaas wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:42 am You can set different settings for this, but most people in the UK use miles/kWh, which is probably set as the default if you have a UK car.
Yes, it's basically the equivalent of mpg. It's literally how many miles you get per kWh of battery used at your current consumption (which varies all the time with driving style, average speed, hills, temperature etc.) There are 58kwh usable in the UK battery.
In summer, 4 is pretty good as an averageon most journeys and 3.5 is pretty good on motorways. It's heavily impacted by average speed. In winter, you can drop those 'good' figures quite a bit as it's also heavily impacted by cold weather. I've had my car since January and my overall long term average since new is 3.3mi/kwh.
Ok, so do have the following bits of info correct based on the Now attached Picture ?

20220506_090007.jpg

A. Charge used since start / charge
B. Miles travelled since charge / start
C. ??? Average sped since start / Charge
D. Miles per kWh or in ICE terms MPG ?

So realistically, the higher the value in D m/kWh the better the range per 80/full charge.
A B are purely just for alternate views on the info, and C still eludes me lol.

Regards
ID.3 Family Pro 58kWh
Ordered Sep 2021
Delivered May 2022
mediaguy

Post by mediaguy »

A is power used right now, I think. If you turn the heating up and down, you should see it immediately rise and fall. It isn't an average.
Life Pro MY23 with Interior Style Plus + Assistance Plus + Infotainment Plus
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

A: instantaneous power consumption (the units change to mi/kWh when the car starts moving - when stopped it's just kW, but insists on presenting kWh/hr, which is the same thing)
B/C/D - yes, since your last start, charge or long term depending what you selected at the top.
The average speed just seems to divide the distance by the time since last start or charge etc, so if you stopped for a while in the middle of the journey it will look very low (the 'since start' data only automatically resets when you have been stopped for two hours.)
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
TheMack

Post by TheMack »

sidehaas wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:00 am A: instantaneous power consumption (the units change to mi/kWh when the car starts moving - when stopped it's just kW, but insists on presenting kWh/hr, which is the same thing)
B/C/D - yes, since your last start, charge or long term depending what you selected at the top.
The average speed just seems to divide the distance by the time since last start or charge etc, so if you stopped for a while in the middle of the journey it will look very low (the 'since start' data only automatically resets when you have been stopped for two hours.)
Ah ok, thank you so much, both of you :)

It does seem odd though the average speed to be calculated in this way, it almost makes it useless as I cannot see it being accurate unless you are doing a singular journey with an over 2 hour stop before you go again.

Also, so understanding what you have said, I need to get D as high as possible, whil;e keeping A as low as possible while travelling, for best range coverage :D

Its beginning to feel like a video game this lol.
ID.3 Family Pro 58kWh
Ordered Sep 2021
Delivered May 2022
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

When you are stopped, A being low is low consumption. When you start moving A will switch to the same units as D, so you want it high. Otherwise yes :)
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Ha ha I'm not sure what you were expecting otherwise for average speed on a journey.. Total distance divided by time taken for said journey is Avg Speed?

Every time you stop that distance stops increasing but the time keeps ticking. If you want it to reset every time you stop then press the reset, but then what are you going to define as a break in the journey 5 mins, 2 mins at traffic lights? What about traffic congestion, do You reset it then?
duckworthsj

Post by duckworthsj »

TheMack wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:35 am
sidehaas wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:42 am You can set different settings for this, but most people in the UK use miles/kWh, which is probably set as the default if you have a UK car.
Ok, so do have the following bits of info correct based on the Now attached Picture ?
20220506_090007.jpg

A. Charge used since start / charge
B. Miles travelled since charge / start
C. ??? Average sped since start / Charge
D. Miles per kWh or in ICE terms MPG ?

So realistically, the higher the value in D m/kWh the better the range per 80/full charge.
A B are purely just for alternate views on the info, and C still eludes me lol.

Regards
All the figures are from start of your journey and not from ‘charge’ unless you started you journey after charging.
You need to switch to screen ‘since charge’ if you want to see the figures from the time you charged. It just gives you to different views.
The A figure is an ‘instant’ view and will go up and down depending on you consumption at that point in time. Just like the instant consumption you get for a ICE.
C is like on ICE, and is equally useless IMO. I can’t think of ever using it on any car. It is of theoretical interest perhaps on a long journey. I guess the police would be quite interested if they’d stopped you for speeding, and the car showed an average speed of 80 miles per hour :o …. Guilty M’lud. :lol:
Hers: ID3 204ch Pro Performance Denim Blue Black Roof. East Derry alloys, Pack Comfort Plus, Pack Assistance Plus.
His: Mini Cooper S-Electric 184ch ‘Yours’ (UK Level 3) Chili Red, Black Pack, Heat Reflective Windows… And lots of fun
TheMack

Post by TheMack »

Thank you all for responding :)

I will have to keep an eye on it and see how it goes. I will figure it out I am sure. While out this evening with my lad, we were flicking through the settings and checking the vehicle screen, and one setting came up as Drive mode with Traffic on Left hand side or Traffic on Right hand side.

Easy one I thought, I need to change this from right to left, then I thought, hang on, does it mean traffic as in where I am driving or oncoming traffic...

Anyone have any ideas ?
ID.3 Family Pro 58kWh
Ordered Sep 2021
Delivered May 2022
Jonr37

Post by Jonr37 »

D - is the important one. Directly correlates to the range. Over the winter i was averaging 2.6 ish, which meant on a full charge to 100% the range was 150 miles. Starting to move up a bit now weather is warmer, I’m getting around 3.2 and a full tank showing 170 miles.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

TheMack wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:54 pm Thank you all for responding :)

I will have to keep an eye on it and see how it goes. I will figure it out I am sure. While out this evening with my lad, we were flicking through the settings and checking the vehicle screen, and one setting came up as Drive mode with Traffic on Left hand side or Traffic on Right hand side.

Easy one I thought, I need to change this from right to left, then I thought, hang on, does it mean traffic as in where I am driving or oncoming traffic...

Anyone have any ideas ?
It's poorly worded and apparently refers to where you sit to drive the car, so for UK 'Drive on right' is correct. It will default back to that anyway so no point changeing it. Should also update automatically by location if you do go over the water with it. (or under).
TheMack

Post by TheMack »

G43FAN wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:03 am
TheMack wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:54 pm Thank you all for responding :)

Anyone have any ideas ?
It's poorly worded and apparently refers to where you sit to drive the car, so for UK 'Drive on right' is correct. It will default back to that anyway so no point changeing it. Should also update automatically by location if you do go over the water with it. (or under).
Thank you :)

The car is just a joy to drive. So smooth, and fluid. The only thing I guess that could have been improved on are info layouts and info that can be displayed on the screen behind your steering wheel as it just feels weird having 33% all black, or having the speedo off centre to the right if you enlarge the lane assist screen.
ID.3 Family Pro 58kWh
Ordered Sep 2021
Delivered May 2022
TheMack

Post by TheMack »

I do actually have another question, and don't want to open a new thread.

Every morning when I get in the car I find that the miles remaining is lower than the night before. EG Yesterday when I finished I had an estimates 128 miles range left, get in this morning and its 117 miles. And it is always a drop of around 9 - 12 miles in the range.

Is the battery consumption really that high while it is stood not doing anything or what is that about ? (Does it tie into the 2 hour reset thing, which doesnt add up as its stood for 2 hours+ between uses and the range doesn't change during the day).

Regards,
ID.3 Family Pro 58kWh
Ordered Sep 2021
Delivered May 2022
Hypercube

Post by Hypercube »

For me the guess-o-meter varies quite a bit even whilst the battery percentage charge remains constant. I doubt that what you are seeing is anything to do with the battery draining. Rather, as I understand, it might be more to do with changes in the external and battery temperature. Can’t be sure but VW don’t provide much guidance on this.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

TheMack wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 5:00 pm I do actually have another question, and don't want to open a new thread.

Every morning when I get in the car I find that the miles remaining is lower than the night before. EG Yesterday when I finished I had an estimates 128 miles range left, get in this morning and its 117 miles. And it is always a drop of around 9 - 12 miles in the range.

Is the battery consumption really that high while it is stood not doing anything or what is that about ? (Does it tie into the 2 hour reset thing, which doesnt add up as its stood for 2 hours+ between uses and the range doesn't change during the day).

Regards,
My guess would be ambient temperature. At the moment, mine increases from the previous day if the temp goes up.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

There is no measurable (via the normal infotainment) battery consumption in an ID left overnight (or even for a week) unless something is wrong, or if you are preheating the car.
Look at whether the actual battery % has reduced - either in the charging screen or in the app. If it hasn't then it's just the GOM playing games. Apart from ambient temperature it could also be because you have been running the Aircon/heating differently (for example if it was turned off when you looked at the GOM the previous evening but turned on now.)
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

sidehaas wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 5:28 pm There is no measurable (via the normal infotainment) battery consumption in an ID left overnight (or even for a week) unless something is wrong, or if you are preheating the car.
Look at whether the actual battery % has reduced - either in the charging screen or in the app. If it hasn't then it's just the GOM playing games. Apart from ambient temperature it could also be because you have been running the Aircon/heating differently (for example if it was turned off when you looked at the GOM the previous evening but turned on now.)
Yep.. it's this.. and also depending on your car build/software/firmware version if the temp is below the threshold when you open the car the battery heaters may have kicked in.
TheMack

Post by TheMack »

Thank you to all that responded.

At the moment I am neither using AC or pre heat as I do not see the ned. I will keep an eye on the % instead of range to see what is happening, if anything. Software version atm is 2.3 which is how it was delivered to us.

Right now I have it on charge, I know it was only at 30%, but I thought it best to try now and work out any kinks than leave it till near depleted. :)
ID.3 Family Pro 58kWh
Ordered Sep 2021
Delivered May 2022
Mikek18mdh

Post by Mikek18mdh »

Does anyone have a calculation for working out and comparing my ID3s electric costs in MPG?