Carplay small buttons and text

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
VengefulSeal

Post by VengefulSeal »

Hi all,

A few weeks in with the new car - for the most part loving it but...

The icons on the right side of the screen are ridiculously small - almost impossible to hit the first time while driving, which means taking your eyes off the road. The icons on the home screen are fine, but the shortcut 3 icons on the right are tiny.

As is the font. I use Waze and it's ridiculously small, as well as the icons for reporting traffic and entering a destination. It also appears incredibly zoomed out. The font when in other apps likeAudible or Apple Music is crazy small.

It's not my phone, tried it with the boss and hers was the same.

I've read online that changing the font size on the phone will work, doesn't seem to do anything, plus I don't want to change the font size on my phone just for use in the car.

For the record, this is the 3rd car with Carplay I've had, a Skoda and an Arteon last time - so it's not as though my expectations are off.

Anyone else having this issue? I'm wondering if the car isn't reporting properly to the phone about resolution etc.

And nevermind how shockingly awful the touchscreen responsiveness is - but I have read that's a generic issue?

IMG_4972.JPEG

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

It's the same in ours but Android Auto is much better. The problem is the Carplay interface (edit - or the way it is integrated in to the ID3).
I find that I can hit the buttons pretty accurately when driving by placing my left hand fingers on the top of the screen and pressing the screen with my thumb. Trying to press the screen accurately with fingers requires too much concentration.
Last edited by sidehaas on Fri May 13, 2022 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
rikimaru

Post by rikimaru »

Yep I noticed this the first time I test drove the car. Before that I’d been using CarPlay regularly in a Hyundai Ioniq electric. In that car the icons are larger and much easier to hit.

Like sidehaas said I ended up holding the screen to keep my hands steady and then pressing the dock icons.

Maybe VW can fix this in a future update. I don’t think it’s a CarPlay issue because it works just fine in other cars.

Edit: I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. The left side VW interface is just badly implemented and takes up unnecessary space. Would be better if the screen was slightly taller and the interface was along the bottom so you could have your passenger climate settings on the left and drive on the right.
16 Sep: ID3 Max in Moonstone Grey. BW 40 confirmed. ETA early Dec.
...lots of bad info and delays...
27 April: at port. ETA end of May.
Delivery ETA: 18 May!
ItshardtobuyId3

Post by ItshardtobuyId3 »

CarPlay is really bad on the ID3. I’d assumed it was just down to the high resolution of the screen making the buttons far too small. I had no such similar problems on my Polo GTi.

It really does need attention though. It’s properly dangerous. I could far more easily use my actual phone to perform the tasks I’m trying to achieve with the cars infotainment. If I used my phone directly I’d be breaking the law.

It’s not just that the buttons are small but they are unresponsive even if you manage to hit the right one.

I’d also like it if the car didn’t keep randomly asking me if I want to connect to other peoples iPhones!!!
ID3 Life Pro Performance
Glacier White
East Derry alloys
Driver Assistance pack
[traded in for]
Cupra Born V1 with Typhoon Alloys - Aurora Blue - Tech pack L
VengefulSeal

Post by VengefulSeal »

The general touchscreen responsiveness is dire to be fair, even when not using CarPlay. Also annoying is that when I'm not using CarPlay (which is often now as it's so bad) if I get a text or the like, the display switches to CarPlay and shows the notification, and then back to the VW infotainment - pretty poor...

The responsiveness of my touchscreen is like an old underpowered tablet from 10 years back.