2.4 update and battery replacement

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
scurry

Post by scurry »

rikimaru wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:03 pm If only we could customise the projection lol
Makes you wonder that it might be possible, at least to choose from a few .

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Well so far, tried booking in with one dealership, who annoyingly use a contact centre so you never get to speak to anyone who knows anything.
1. phoned initially and was told they knew nothing about it, but Service Mmnager would call me back. 2 days no call back.
2. Called back and was told they were aware of it but I would need to speak to Service manager, he would call me back, 'Oh it is a Seat isn't it?' - no call back.
3. Couple of days passed again so called and at this point I could see I could book it in online but there was no courtesy car option so phoned to clarify availability. 'Oh, we don't DO courtesy cars Sir'. Somewhat taken aback I mentioned it was part of a VW Recall and alternative transport should be proivded. Booked in with promise of Service Manager calling me back. No call back.
4. Following week I rang to clarify the car situation and mention that yet again no one had called me back, got told there was no way I would get a courtesy car they don't provide them because of Covid. After several minutes of persuasion they reluctantly accepted my cancellation of the appointment.

Relaised that an alternative option was to drop the car off at the Dealership near my work offices and spend the day in the Office, no car needed.
Booked in with them online and received VW email with booking for 19th (Tuesday). I then received an email from the dealership with confirmation (which I didn't check)
Arrived Tuesday 08:00am to drop the car of to be greeted with a puzzled expression.. "Two things SIr, the booking is for the 29th" the email from the dealership had changed the appointment I hadn't noticed. "and we've only done one of these updates so far and, well it hasn't gone well"

Appointment for 29th cancelled, I'll wait until there's a higher success rate I think.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

G43FAN wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:54 am Well so far, tried booking in with one dealership, who annoyingly use a contact centre so you never get to speak to anyone who knows anything.
1. phoned initially and was told they knew nothing about it, but Service Mmnager would call me back. 2 days no call back.
2. Called back and was told they were aware of it but I would need to speak to Service manager, he would call me back, 'Oh it is a Seat isn't it?' - no call back.
3. Couple of days passed again so called and at this point I could see I could book it in online but there was no courtesy car option so phoned to clarify availability. 'Oh, we don't DO courtesy cars Sir'. Somewhat taken aback I mentioned it was part of a VW Recall and alternative transport should be proivded. Booked in with promise of Service Manager calling me back. No call back.
4. Following week I rang to clarify the car situation and mention that yet again no one had called me back, got told there was no way I would get a courtesy car they don't provide them because of Covid. After several minutes of persuasion they reluctantly accepted my cancellation of the appointment.

Relaised that an alternative option was to drop the car off at the Dealership near my work offices and spend the day in the Office, no car needed.
Booked in with them online and received VW email with booking for 19th (Tuesday). I then received an email from the dealership with confirmation (which I didn't check)
Arrived Tuesday 08:00am to drop the car of to be greeted with a puzzled expression.. "Two things SIr, the booking is for the 29th" the email from the dealership had changed the appointment I hadn't noticed. "and we've only done one of these updates so far and, well it hasn't gone well"

Appointment for 29th cancelled, I'll wait until there's a higher success rate I think.
This doesn't sound good at all does it? I was also told I would get a call back from the "service manager" when I spoke to the call centre. Guess what? Correct, no call arrived. Fortunately, I decided to call into the dealer shortly after talking to the call centre, and I actually spoke to a service advisor, who actually seemed to have a brain between his ears. He did instill some confidence in me, that they knew what they were doing, but they hadn't actually done any 2.4 updates at that time.
Big277wave

Post by Big277wave »

I've not received any communication from VW or my dealership about the 2.4 update. I wondered if this is normal, or am I likely to have dropped off a list? My current ID.3 is a 1st edition and is due for replacement. As my car has been in for weeks at a time on each of it's previous updates updates, I don't feel the need to be one of the first guinea pigs with this update.
1st Ed turquoise, white interior, 9/2020
Family Pro preformance, Makena turquoise, Andoya alloys
Ordered 22/9/ 2021 replacing 1st Ed which has been unreliable
Order No 31364***, pre order from July 2021
Status 70 on 25/11/22, build wk38
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Big277wave wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:34 am I've not received any communication from VW or my dealership about the 2.4 update. I wondered if this is normal, or am I likely to have dropped off a list? My current ID.3 is a 1st edition and is due for replacement. As my car has been in for weeks at a time on each of it's previous updates updates, I don't feel the need to be one of the first guinea pigs with this update.
Replacing ID3 with ID3 after your experiences? Not sure I would have the courage to do that. Hope it all works out for you.
Big277wave

Post by Big277wave »

I like the car and it's the right size for me, but it's become obvious that this particular car hasn't been good and after a year of ownership with it spending half of that year in the dealership getting various modules replaced I had had enough. I did a deal to replace it with a Family Pro Performance which seemed to be the nearest similar spec car and have got to keep the 1st until the new one turns up. I paid a small amount to change the car, which seemed reasonable at the time which was to be the full amount. There's the £2500 of the grant on the invoice and if it doesn't come soon then that will no doubt be a frank discussion between us, End result I will have had a car for a couple of years, put 20,000 miles on it for a cost of just over £1k, the main differences in the car are that I gain a panoramic roof, a wireless charger and variable level boot, non of which are features that would be top of my list. I lose the silver strip below the roof and vinyl stickers on the B pillars but that doesn't really bother me. I presume I'll get a MY23 car now.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Big277wave wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:04 am I like the car and it's the right size for me, but it's become obvious that this particular car hasn't been good and after a year of ownership with it spending half of that year in the dealership getting various modules replaced I had had enough. I did a deal to replace it with a Family Pro Performance which seemed to be the nearest similar spec car and have got to keep the 1st until the new one turns up. I paid a small amount to change the car, which seemed reasonable at the time which was to be the full amount. There's the £2500 of the grant on the invoice and if it doesn't come soon then that will no doubt be a frank discussion between us, End result I will have had a car for a couple of years, put 20,000 miles on it for a cost of just over £1k, the main differences in the car are that I gain a panoramic roof, a wireless charger and variable level boot, non of which are features that would be top of my list. I lose the silver strip below the roof and vinyl stickers on the B pillars but that doesn't really bother me. I presume I'll get a MY23 car now.
Did you contemplate the Cupra Born?
Big277wave

Post by Big277wave »

It wasn't out at the time and as it was a buy back by a VW dealership it wasn't offered. The original build week that I was given was 06/22, it's progressively slipped and last week was informed that it had slipped to week 41 which will be over a year since the OLEV grant was applied for.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Getting back to battery replacement and software update, guess what? My dealer just rang and cancelled my booking for this coming Monday, and rebooked it for the 15th September. They said, "they were having issues with the cars they have tried to update". Well done VW, yet another mess. Does anyone believe this company ever tests anything?
Jamie1c

Post by Jamie1c »

Scratch wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:37 am Getting back to battery replacement and software update, guess what? My dealer just rang and cancelled my booking for this coming Monday, and rebooked it for the 15th September. They said, "they were having issues with the cars they have tried to update". Well done VW, yet another mess. Does anyone believe this company ever tests anything?
Utterly laughable.

A battery swap and software update and they still act like headless chickens. Incompetence doesn't even cover it.
Max pro (white)
East Derry wheels
Ordered the 20/08/21
Dealership- Arnold Clark
Status 10 (14/02/22)
Collected - 28/04/23
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

The problem is the structure. The dealers (and workshops) are all separately owned from VW. So whilst some may be on the ball - and know exactly what is coming - read the briefs - have techs who chase up the problems, some will be none of those...

It feels like a bad franchise operation. Think Wimpey rather than McDonalds :D
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

MotMot wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:06 am The problem is the structure. The dealers (and workshops) are all separately owned from VW. So whilst some may be on the ball - and know exactly what is coming - read the briefs - have techs who chase up the problems, some will be none of those...

It feels like a bad franchise operation. Think Wimpey rather than McDonalds :D
Possibly. Meanwhile, do VW know, or even care, that their already tarnished reputation (dieselgate) may be heading ever more downwards?
TheMack

Post by TheMack »

What is the status of the 2.4 update in the UK (And 3.0 at that).

We picked our car up in May from new and it had 2.3 installed, but have not heard nothing since.
ID.3 Family Pro 58kWh
Ordered Sep 2021
Delivered May 2022
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

TheMack wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:24 am What is the status of the 2.4 update in the UK (And 3.0 at that).

We picked our car up in May from new and it had 2.3 installed, but have not heard nothing since.
I wouldn't bother chasing that update, until there are more reports of positive installs.
slug56

Post by slug56 »

Mine went in yesterday morning for the 2.4 update. Was meant to have it back this afternoon, but just had a call to say the third attempt has just failed and they can't give it back to me because it's not in a driveable state. It'll be in at least overnight but really as long as it takes :?
I don't have a courtesy car but then I didn't expect it would take more than a couple of days. If I'm honest I thought they'd have it done in one!
This is their second car getting updated and I can't imagine they're enthused about taking in any more until the process and blips are ironed out.
Max Pro Performance, Glacier White, 18" East Derrys, MY22
Kirkbysteve

Post by Kirkbysteve »

Thankfully this thread prepared me for a phone call from my dealer this afternoon to delay my scheduled next week until the middle of August. They apologised but said that due to difficulties updating cars they were limiting updates to 2 cars per week. They also booked my car in for 2 days rather than the 1 initially planned.
They clarified that this action was being taken by all dealers across their franchise.
rikimaru

Post by rikimaru »

Just to add to all of the other bad news, I went to drop off my car yesterday and as recommended to reschedule. They only have 2 service technicians and 1 of them had just gone on holiday, so they didn't seem too confident about doing the update with only 1 rep.

Mine's now booked for early August. After reading how poorly this has been going, I'm happy to wait.
16 Sep: ID3 Max in Moonstone Grey. BW 40 confirmed. ETA early Dec.
...lots of bad info and delays...
27 April: at port. ETA end of May.
Delivery ETA: 18 May!
TheMack

Post by TheMack »

What exactly is going wrong with the updates ?

One would have thought it would be a straight forward battery replacement and software install, but looking at what your putting someone decided that was too easy ?
ID.3 Family Pro 58kWh
Ordered Sep 2021
Delivered May 2022
Utumno

Post by Utumno »

Folks, I'm beginning to think I've dodged a hail of bullets with this 2.4 software update (my cancelled Tour would have come with 2.3)

I've long been saying that I didn't think 3.x was coming OTA until 2023 at the very earliest, but at the rate of 2 of these 2.4 upgrades a week for each dealer in the UK I think VW owners might be experiencing the heat death of the Universe before 3.x rolls out over-the-air.
Tesla Model Y Long Range
CANCELLED : ID.3 Tour (long story :lol:)

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
Octopus Referral : https://share.octopus.energy/aqua-foal-203
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Battery Life has confirmed that older 58kwh cars with 2.4 now charge up to the same speeds as cars built with 2.3 (peak just over 130kw). He has tested his own car (1st Ed) and put a photo up.
So glass half full, that's a useful improvement here for many people that we didn't know was coming.
I have seen a lot of success stories on social media now as well as failures or delays, it's obviously not a reliable process yet but probably depends on the competence of people at the dealer more than anything else.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.