Charging failures following recent WeCharge OTA updates

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Gwyver

Post by Gwyver »

Until recently my home recharging routine has worked reliably for the past 5000 miles and 9 months..
I use a Pulsar Plus charger set to charge between the hours of 00:30 and 06:30 each night.
My ID.3 has no location or charge scheduling specified - merely the charge limit set to 80%.

I plug the cable into the car. The light beside the CCS socket flashes white for a short while & then turns solid red (With an associated notification on my phone stating "Charging error") and at the specified hour when I'm fast asleep the current pours in at 32A until the charge limit is reached.

Well, that's how it used to be. Since the recent OTA WeCharge related update completed (after more than a week of trying), followed soon after by the inevitable patch to fix the update, my charging process has failed every time I've launched it.

It seems that the ID.3 is no longer sending a 'ready' signal back to the Pulsar and hence the charger does not become active at the appointed time.
I'm getting brassed off with having to get up in the small hours and manually restart the charging cycle.

Any body experiencing similar and can suggest how to fix it (without waiting for Cariad to produce reliable s/w :D ) ?

BTW, I have rebooted the charger, reinstalled the WeConneect.ID app on my phone, rebooted the phone, checked that the charging cable is properly plugged-in - all to no avail.
My car has factory installed 2.3 s/w.

Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Gwyver wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:49 pm Until recently my home recharging routine has worked reliably for the past 5000 miles and 9 months..
I use a Pulsar Plus charger set to charge between the hours of 00:30 and 06:30 each night.
My ID.3 has no location or charge scheduling specified - merely the charge limit set to 80%.

I plug the cable into the car. The light beside the CCS socket flashes white for a short while & then turns solid red (With an associated notification on my phone stating "Charging error") and at the specified hour when I'm fast asleep the current pours in at 32A until the charge limit is reached.

Well, that's how it used to be. Since the recent OTA WeCharge related update completed (after more than a week of trying), followed soon after by the inevitable patch to fix the update, my charging process has failed every time I've launched it.

It seems that the ID.3 is no longer sending a 'ready' signal back to the Pulsar and hence the charger does not become active at the appointed time.
I'm getting brassed off with having to get up in the small hours and manually restart the charging cycle.

Any body experiencing similar and can suggest how to fix it (without waiting for Cariad to produce reliable s/w :D ) ?

BTW, I have rebooted the charger, reinstalled the WeConneect.ID app on my phone, rebooted the phone, checked that the charging cable is properly plugged-in - all to no avail.
My car has factory installed 2.3 s/w.
Whilst I am with you with Cariad (I assume you mean they are incompetent?), I would be interested to know if any others have this problem. Could it be related to the handshaking between your Pulsar charger, or could it be any make of charger? My Zappi is working ok.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

The WeCharge app has got nothing to do with the car's charging. (For many of us we could charge long before WeCharge existed) I suggest that is coincidence.
What happens when you plug in and ask for immediate charge? I assume it works?
What errors are shown on the charger if any?
Has there been a software or firmware release for the charger?
The app is not necessary for any of this to work, the car and charger are in control not the phone app.
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

I have had a Wallbox pulsar plus on my ID3 for the last 18 months.
I think something is wrong with how yours has worked if you ‘ plug the cable into the car. The light beside the CCS socket flashes white for a short while & then turns solid red’.
It shouldn’t go red. What happens on you Wallbox halo light?
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.
ajf

Post by ajf »

I have a different charger to you, Gwyver, and that also has issues working on "Smart Charge" mode with the iD3.
I use an App to control the charger (and I assume you do too?)
The workaround they have given me is:
1. Turn the wall charger off "smart charge" mode (using the App).
2. Plug in the car and allow the handshake, and allow immediate charging to start (just 10 seconds is enough - green pulsing light on car)
3. Turn the charger to Smart mode (using the App). At this stage I witness the car stopping to charge (white fixed light on car).
4. The charger App then displays "Smart Charge to start at 0130, ready to depart 0730"
In the morning the car is ready (set to 80% or higher if selected)

I wonder if you can try this workaround with your charger. FWIW I agree that its not a "Weconnect" problem.....
iD3 Tour Pro (77kW) in white
Ordered Aug 2021, initially due Jan 2022, arrived 31 May 2022
Gwyver

Post by Gwyver »

OB1CCFC wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:36 am I have had a Wallbox pulsar plus on my ID3 for the last 18 months.
I think something is wrong with how yours has worked if you ‘ plug the cable into the car. The light beside the CCS socket flashes white for a short while & then turns solid red’.
Apologies for not replying sooner, home life is busy at the moment:

Ever since I've had the car this behaviour has been the same; i.e. ‘ plug the cable into the car. The light beside the CCS socket flashes white for a short while & then turns solid red’.
I should have added: 'After the light has been solid red for 1~2 minutes the light goes out until the time at which the Wallbox schedule starts. It then pulses green whilst charge current flows.'
There are numerous posts on this forum in which other members report the same.

Under normal circumstances the Wallbox halo light behaves as expected: i.e pulsing blue indicating 'ready to charge' and then at the appointed time for the schedule to start it changes to a deep blue to show that charging is underway. (The LED next to the CCS socket on the car changes from uniluminated to pulsing green).

Yesterday I set up an extra (daytime) schedule using the Wallbox app on my iPhone and this charging session was successful. Maybe the car has become afraid of being charged overnight or else VW's software engineers had decided to torment me ;)
Last edited by Gwyver on Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gwyver

Post by Gwyver »

ajf wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:43 pm I have a different charger to you, Gwyver, and that also has issues working on "Smart Charge" mode with the iD3.
I use an App to control the charger (and I assume you do too?)
The workaround they have given me is:
1. Turn the wall charger off "smart charge" mode (using the App).
2. Plug in the car and allow the handshake, and allow immediate charging to start (just 10 seconds is enough - green pulsing light on car)
3. Turn the charger to Smart mode (using the App). At this stage I witness the car stopping to charge (white fixed light on car).
4. The charger App then displays "Smart Charge to start at 0130, ready to depart 0730"
In the morning the car is ready (set to 80% or higher if selected)

I wonder if you can try this workaround with your charger. FWIW I agree that its not a "Weconnect" problem.....
I think it's just another indication that the ID3 software which controls the handshake with the charger is very flaky - perhaps there is some kind of timing window which isn't adequate?
mez

Post by mez »

Exactly the same behaviour here. Same car and charger here. Until 2 nights ago off-peak charging worked a charm. Now it has stopped working. The id3 shows “battery not ready” in the vw app. The wallbox is sat there waiting to begin it’s scheduled charge at 00:30.

Did you find a solution? I’m losing sleep!!
ID.3 150kW Life Pro Performance 62kWh, v0792, battleship grey.
I recommend Octopus Energy: Receive a £50 credit with this signup link: share.octopus.energy/shy-wasp-900
mez

Post by mez »

OB1CCFC wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:36 am I have had a Wallbox pulsar plus on my ID3 for the last 18 months.
The red LED is expected though isn’t it? It’s because the car is connected but no power is present - because the home charger is configured to begin charging later on a schedule (starting at midnight or thereabouts to use your off-peak cheap electricity). I always see the red LED on the id3 in this scenario.
ID.3 150kW Life Pro Performance 62kWh, v0792, battleship grey.
I recommend Octopus Energy: Receive a £50 credit with this signup link: share.octopus.energy/shy-wasp-900
danielt

Post by danielt »

What firmware are you running on the charger and when is there any chance that the change that broke things was on the Wallbox not the car (FWIW Wallbox releases a new firmware for Pulsar Plus on 27 Jun this year).
Last edited by danielt on Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

mez wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:11 am
The red LED is expected though isn’t it? It’s because the car is connected but no power is present - because the home charger is configured to begin charging later on a schedule (starting at midnight or thereabouts to use your off-peak cheap electricity). I always see the red LED on the id3 in this scenario.
A red LED indicates a fault and you shouldn't really see it. However it's true that with some charger types (not all) the sequence of things the charger does after plugging in with a schedule will cause the car to think there has been a fault. When I used to use my Ohme to schedule I got a red light perhaps one in ten times. It's more complex than just the charger not immediately charging. These interface issues can usually be resolved by the charger provider if they are causing an actual problem.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Gwyver

Post by Gwyver »

sidehaas wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:10 am A red LED indicates a fault and you shouldn't really see it. However it's true that with some charger types (not all) the sequence of things the charger does after plugging in with a schedule will cause the car to think there has been a fault. When I used to use my Ohme to schedule I got a red light perhaps one in ten times. It's more complex than just the charger not immediately charging. These interface issues can usually be resolved by the charger provider if they are causing an actual problem.
As mentioned in my OP - for the past 2 years, after attaching the (Pulsar Plus) charging cable, my ID.3's charging light flashes white for a few seconds and then turns solid red for ~2 minutes before switching off. At this point I get a notification on my phone from the VW Connect app telling me that there is a charging error...
The Pulsar's display & it's phone app continues to show the status as waiting for charging schedule to start and, at the appropriate time, charging commences and works as expected.
I hope this well-established process isn't going to fail now that my car has just had it's s/w 3.2 update.

(Just to clarify - I have no locations or schedules set in the car and rely on the Pulsar (Wallbox) app on my phone to specify the charging time window.)
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Gwyver wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:51 pm
sidehaas wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:10 am A red LED indicates a fault and you shouldn't really see it. However it's true that with some charger types (not all) the sequence of things the charger does after plugging in with a schedule will cause the car to think there has been a fault. When I used to use my Ohme to schedule I got a red light perhaps one in ten times. It's more complex than just the charger not immediately charging. These interface issues can usually be resolved by the charger provider if they are causing an actual problem.
As mentioned in my OP - for the past 2 years, after attaching the (Pulsar Plus) charging cable, my ID.3's charging light flashes white for a few seconds and then turns solid red for ~2 minutes before switching off. At this point I get a notification on my phone from the VW Connect app telling me that there is a charging error...
The Pulsar's display & it's phone app continues to show the status as waiting for charging schedule to start and, at the appropriate time, charging commences and works as expected.
I hope this well-established process isn't going to fail now that my car has just had it's s/w 3.2 update.

(Just to clarify - I have no locations or schedules set in the car and rely on the Pulsar (Wallbox) app on my phone to specify the charging time window.)
Does your Pulsar have a dumb mode, ie can you operate it without a smart schedule? If it does you have nothing to worry about because even if you are unfortunate and see problems with it working as it used to, you can schedule from the car instead. This has the advantage that the car and app both see what they expect to see, so show indications that make sense (don't report errors), you can completely forget your charger app and not use it again (ie go from 2 apps to 1), and the process works reliably. The in car scheduling is also more flexible than many smart chargers are. It does take a little effort to set up correctly at first but people here can advise).
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Sheps

Post by Sheps »

I have had a series of problems with my iD3/Zappi2 faiing at various points - the latest being a failure to start the scheduled charge at 0030 as set despite everything being, apparently, set to go. I now set the alarm to wake me up to check that it has started then starting fast charge manually and setting another alarm to switch it off. Not ideal when I have early starts in the morning. It has happened twice now - I'll try it again tonight to see if it starts.

The difficulty is knowing whether this is a car fault or a charger fault.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Sheps wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:12 am I have had a series of problems with my iD3/Zappi2 faiing at various points - the latest being a failure to start the scheduled charge at 0030 as set despite everything being, apparently, set to go. I now set the alarm to wake me up to check that it has started then starting fast charge manually and setting another alarm to switch it off. Not ideal when I have early starts in the morning. It has happened twice now - I'll try it again tonight to see if it starts.

The difficulty is knowing whether this is a car fault or a charger fault.
Are you scheduling with the Zappi or in Car? Over 2 years and my Zappi has only failed to charge when I forget to unlock it. That's with all the scheduling done by the charger.