WeConnectID app

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
char

Post by char »

Hello everyone. Became proud owners of our ID3 last month. It’s great, already successfully negotiated our first big road trip, no problems at all. I’ve yet to finish setting up the WeConnect in the car - a couple of half hearted attempts resulting in a “fail”. My dealer is harassing me to get this done. So, my question is - what’s the point of the app? Will my life and driving experience immeasurably improve if I have it? Are there any real disadvantages to not having it? Thanks in advance.

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

It should allow you to see charge state, turn on and off AC/Heating, send Navigation destinations to the car.. In relaity it's flaky, provides an added level of frustration and personally I'm not sure it's required. Profiles certainly don't work in-car. Future software updates will need you to be logged in I think.
Up the jumper

Post by Up the jumper »

I would be much stronger. It is utter rubbish. No functionality of value, not even basic trip data or vehicle location and those "functions" it does have are si slow as to be useless. I sent a route to the car, and it registered just as I was arriving at my destination.

It is so bad I think it should be withdrawn to save further embarrassment to VW, but given their apparant "We really don't care: we have your money" attitude they won't. It really does spoil my ownership experience comparing it to what I had via app in my ICE 6 years ago.
Id3 Family Pro 58kwh, moonstone ordered 23/7/21 Picked up 4/3/22
Gloucestershire.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Up the jumper wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:58 am I would be much stronger. It is utter rubbish. No functionality of value, not even basic trip data or vehicle location and those "functions" it does have are si slow as to be useless. I sent a route to the car, and it registered just as I was arriving at my destination.

It is so bad I think it should be withdrawn to save further embarrassment to VW, but given their apparant "We really don't care: we have your money" attitude they won't. It really does spoil my ownership experience comparing it to what I had via app in my ICE 6 years ago.
I don't agree. The function to send a navigation function is useless because of the delay (at least with 2.3) but everything else about the app works well enough for me. I've never had an app for a car before and I think it's really useful. I use it all the time for monitoring or stopping charging and turning Aircon on/off. I also use the map if I want to look for chargers that work with wecharge RFID.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
steviebabes

Post by steviebabes »

During the recent high temperatures the ability to remotely turn on the aircon before you get to the car is brilliant. In the winter setting the car to warm up and defrost before leaving for work is very convenient. You also need to be registered with the app for future software updates.
ID3 Life Pro Performance Glacier White Andoya 19in Alloys
baguette

Post by baguette »

G43FAN wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:36 am Future software updates will need you to be logged in I think.

Do you mean WeConnect will be required in order to receive future software updates, or do you mean that future software updates will change the car so as to require WeConnect login for the car to operate?

If it's the latter, that'll be the end of my relationship with Volkswagen. Honestly, if it's the former it might be as well. "Account tie-in" is an instant turnoff for me in almost any product.
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

Right now the only things that work properly are the SOC monitoring and the aircon setting. Shame that’s the only functionality but both are useful to me.
I think the point is eventually other useful functions, such as car location, car door, window monitoring will be added. It will be increasingly useful.
But no denying it’s been a shambles within a bigger shambles.
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.
smuj

Post by smuj »

I’d be more inclined to believe that the lack of functionality in the app is because the software in the car is not able to output the data required for the app to provide any more functions than it already does. Just look at the data in the drivers screen. No battery %, no odometer readings etc. As the car’s software gets more mature then so will app functionality. I hope :D
Smuj

I’m an analogue man in a digital world
———————————————————————————————————
Family Pro Performance 58KW. Stonewashed Blue, East Derry wheels.
Up the jumper

Post by Up the jumper »

smuj wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:27 pm I’d be more inclined to believe that the lack of functionality in the app is because the software in the car is not able to output the data required for the app to provide any more functions than it already does. Just look at the data in the drivers screen. No battery %, no odometer readings etc. As the car’s software gets more mature then so will app functionality. I hope :D
Maybe so, but to have a location which shows the location of my phone and not the location of the car is so comically bad it is embarrassing. As a stopgap it would be very simple to update a static set of data (location, odometer reading, SOC/range, recent trips etc) every time the Park button is pressed. That could then be logged in the app. It is the sort of programming I could do. It really is that basic! but, guess we may get some jam tomorrow when the folk at VW decide to extract the digit.
Id3 Family Pro 58kwh, moonstone ordered 23/7/21 Picked up 4/3/22
Gloucestershire.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Up the jumper wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:12 pm
smuj wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:27 pm I’d be more inclined to believe that the lack of functionality in the app is because the software in the car is not able to output the data required for the app to provide any more functions than it already does. Just look at the data in the drivers screen. No battery %, no odometer readings etc. As the car’s software gets more mature then so will app functionality. I hope :D
Maybe so, but to have a location which shows the location of my phone and not the location of the car is so comically bad it is embarrassing. As a stopgap it would be very simple to update a static set of data (location, odometer reading, SOC/range, recent trips etc) every time the Park button is pressed. That could then be logged in the app. It is the sort of programming I could do. It really is that basic! but, guess we may get some jam tomorrow when the folk at VW decide to extract the digit.
They are doing last parked location once you have 3.0. I thought the reason it won't show live location was to do with privacy?
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
ajf

Post by ajf »

I'm on the fence with this App at the moment but assuming that, with so much new(ish) technology it will improve over time - not least as users feed back to the App designers.

Its not as good as the App I use with my electric BMW (i3), but then that App has been in use for 5 years or more and I have seen improvements in that. Such as checking if I closed the windows or sunroof before I left the car (and closing them, if necessary)

I regard the ability to monitor charge level as very useful indeed. Especially as early warning that something may have gone with (say) the charger mid charge.

I also use it to turn on the aircon on a hot day (same as I use my BMW app to turn on the heating in my i3 as I am walking back from a football match on a cold day).

I am certain it will get better, albeit slowly.
iD3 Tour Pro (77kW) in white
Ordered Aug 2021, initially due Jan 2022, arrived 31 May 2022
Bobp

Post by Bobp »

I have never got the app to work for me, it doesn't seem to connect to my car. When I go to Mobile online services in the app, it tells me I don't have any active contracts. What contracts is it referring to?

PLEASE CAN SOMEONE ANSWER MY QUESTION,
Last edited by Bobp on Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
ID3 Family pro, Stonewashed Blue, East Derry alloys, Heat Pump. (Sept 2021)
Zappi charger, solar panels
smuj

Post by smuj »

If you remember the car was released when the software was nowhere near ready. Reading the early posts here it was just a litany of failures on a daily basis. I think that since 2.3 was released these have dropped substantially to just a trickle. Maybe we are at, or will be with 3.0, where they should have been when the car was released. There priority will have been getting the car to that point before the nice to haves appear.
Smuj

I’m an analogue man in a digital world
———————————————————————————————————
Family Pro Performance 58KW. Stonewashed Blue, East Derry wheels.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

smuj wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:54 pm If you remember the car was released when the software was nowhere near ready. Reading the early posts here it was just a litany of failures on a daily basis. I think that since 2.3 was released these have dropped substantially to just a trickle. Maybe we are at, or will be with 3.0, where they should have been when the car was released. There priority will have been getting the car to that point before the nice to haves appear.
Or maybe those of us that have 'lived' through those updates have just stopped caring about all the things that just don't work.. (sorry to bring it down). The app has less functionality in some ways than the ICE We Connect app although we have that on another VW (MY22) and it's no better, profiles are 1 main and guest.. and if you add another user it's 1 main and err guest.. but now it's not sure who is who so both fail.

In my opinion and it's just me voicing my opinion sorry, VW spent too long listening to the You tubers and part time reviewers and adressed the wrong issues.
e.g. Interior, the new interior is no better than the old, actually I prefer the original but apparently we needed a new interior so all hands to the pumps, new interior designed and delivered.. Yay.. Oh, it's still the same.
Actual driving of the car.. it's superb to drive (remember it's not light) but the efficiency needs a tweak,
VW response.. hmm let's just update the interior and add another colour choice.. yay aren't we brilliant.
Owners: But, what about the efficiency?
VW 2021: Oh we'll address that in the quarterly updates...
Customer 2021 : Yay..
Customer 2022: ermm quarterly updates?
VW: Yes, there's a quarterly update Q3 every year, takes up to 6 months to arrive but it's quarterly.. aren't we briliant..
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

To be fair, efficiency has been addressed for new cars since last summer. Mine (MY22) is fine in winter. Updates are the only way they can address it for new cars.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

G43FAN wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:44 pm
smuj wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:54 pm If you remember the car was released when the software was nowhere near ready. Reading the early posts here it was just a litany of failures on a daily basis. I think that since 2.3 was released these have dropped substantially to just a trickle. Maybe we are at, or will be with 3.0, where they should have been when the car was released. There priority will have been getting the car to that point before the nice to haves appear.
Or maybe those of us that have 'lived' through those updates have just stopped caring about all the things that just don't work.. (sorry to bring it down). The app has less functionality in some ways than the ICE We Connect app although we have that on another VW (MY22) and it's no better, profiles are 1 main and guest.. and if you add another user it's 1 main and err guest.. but now it's not sure who is who so both fail.

In my opinion and it's just me voicing my opinion sorry, VW spent too long listening to the You tubers and part time reviewers and adressed the wrong issues.
e.g. Interior, the new interior is no better than the old, actually I prefer the original but apparently we needed a new interior so all hands to the pumps, new interior designed and delivered.. Yay.. Oh, it's still the same.
Actual driving of the car.. it's superb to drive (remember it's not light) but the efficiency needs a tweak,
VW response.. hmm let's just update the interior and add another colour choice.. yay aren't we brilliant.
Owners: But, what about the efficiency?
VW 2021: Oh we'll address that in the quarterly updates...
Customer 2021 : Yay..
Customer 2022: ermm quarterly updates?
VW: Yes, there's a quarterly update Q3 every year, takes up to 6 months to arrive but it's quarterly.. aren't we briliant..
I think what they mean by “quarterly updates” is, we looked at what needed addressing and have updated a quarter of them.
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Scratch wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:13 pm
I think what they mean by “quarterly updates” is, we looked at what needed addressing and have updated a quarter of them.
Bwahahahaha!!

True story!!
ajf

Post by ajf »

Bobp wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:46 pm I have never got the app to work for me, it doesn't seem to connect to my car. When I go to Mobile online services in the app, it tells me I don't have any active contracts. What contracts is it referring to?

I'll have a go Bob.... When you bought your car they would have had an email address for you. You need to use that same email address when logging into your WeConnect App to set up your car/app connection. My suggestion is that you might not be using the email address VW have for you?

If that stab in the dark doesn't help, then its back to your dealer; BTW, when you buy a new car they are supposed to set the app up for you. It was on their "delivery day checklist" when we bought ours.
iD3 Tour Pro (77kW) in white
Ordered Aug 2021, initially due Jan 2022, arrived 31 May 2022
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

ajf wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:36 pm
Bobp wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:46 pm I have never got the app to work for me, it doesn't seem to connect to my car. When I go to Mobile online services in the app, it tells me I don't have any active contracts. What contracts is it referring to?

I'll have a go Bob.... When you bought your car they would have had an email address for you. You need to use that same email address when logging into your WeConnect App to set up your car/app connection. My suggestion is that you might not be using the email address VW have for you?

If that stab in the dark doesn't help, then its back to your dealer; BTW, when you buy a new car they are supposed to set the app up for you. It was on their "delivery day checklist" when we bought ours.
Can you log into this http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/myvolkswagen and see your details/car? The log in details will be the same as for the app usually. If you can't log in here then that needs to be resolved first.

What version of the app are you on i.e. have you checked it's the latest version of 'We Connect ID' as currently on the Play or Apple stores and again telling us what flavour of mobile your on might be helpful?
You seem to have had your car since last September so not having got connected by now seems odd. Have you got as far as scanning the QR code on the infotainment screen? (What happened)
chrisfs

Post by chrisfs »

And (not sure if it’s already covered above) it does j need to be the WeConnect id app, not the ordinary WeConnect app which is for “normal” cars.