Charging recommendations Newcastle - St.Albans

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
scurry

Post by scurry »

Hello All,
I'm looking to do my first long drive.. beyond Newcastle to St. Albans and back in a day, and am wondering if anyone has recommendations for fast changing spots on way there and back?
I've zapmap but would welcome thoughts.. best chance for half hour to 80% (or bit more).
I'll be starting from home 30miles beyond Newcastle with 100% charge, so home to St Albans about 290miles
Not fussed about A1 or M1.
Have 58kwh Life performance pro. 2.4 s/w

TIA

sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

I don't know that route well enough to recommend specific spots really. Skelton Lake (Leeds) and Gridserve Rugby are obvious ones with 6+ high powered chargers, but not perfectly located for your trip if you want to arrive at low SoC to charge as quickly as possible.
In general if you want to be fast you need to arrive at a fast charger with SoC below 20%. I would recommend using sites with lots of chargers run by Instavolt, Osprey, MFG, Gridserve or Ionity. But avoid relying on a charge at the Gridserve service station sites with only 1-3 chargers.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
scurry

Post by scurry »

Can I use Tesla super chargers now?
Bengeo

Post by Bengeo »

Tesla have opened up a few of their chargers, but there aren't any close to your route.
Tour 77kWh Pro S in Glacier White

ID3 Build & Delivery Info Tracker : https://tinyurl.com/id3tracker
OB1CCFC

Post by OB1CCFC »

I live in Yorkshire and my daughter lives in St Albans so I’ve done that run many times in my 58kwh ID3.
I always use the Duckmanton (Markham Vale) M1 stop which has Osprey and Instavolt chargers and then the M1 Ionity Milton Keynes Coach house.
The former is about 136 miles from Newcastle which is fine if you charge up well at home.

For future info. The St Albans area isn’t blessed with chargers. I use the Luton Osprey (Dunstable rd Retail Park) and the AC chargers in Valerium park.
Enjoy!!
Kia Niro EV3 in pearl white.
scurry

Post by scurry »

Thanks all, am sitting down with zapmap, Google maps and installing a multitude of apps!!
Colsterwoth McDonalds c/w Instavolt is looking a possibility for the way down..