Charging ID3

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Ph66

Post by Ph66 »

Hi guys.

Only just picked up my ID 3, wondering what's the best method of charging.

Either plug in every night to home wall box charger (7kw)
or
To only charge when it gets low?

Unless we are going on a long journey, I think it will only be local so low miles

Cheers
ID3 First edition. Glacier white . V3.2 software
Using Octopus IO now - off peak electricity - Share £100 each if you join Octopus use this code - share.octopus.energy/tan-thyme-926

Rhevian

Post by Rhevian »

I don’t think that makes any difference. The main recommendations are to only charge above 80% if you’re about to go on a long journey, and don’t do all your charging at rapid DC chargers.
Avalon

Post by Avalon »

Thanks both for the above. The question posed by ph66 is one I’ve been looking for an answer to. I typically do less than 5K miles/annum and in the main do short, local journeys.

At this stage in my thinking, I’m wondering if I take the plunge and buy an ID.3 whether the low input 13a home supply will do the business for me?

A
ID.3 1st Edition
Rhevian

Post by Rhevian »

A 13A charging cable should give 3kW, which will add about 5% per hour. If you charge for 7 hours overnight that should refill just over 1/3 of battery capacity, say from 45% to 80%, good for 60-70 miles.
Avalon

Post by Avalon »

Many thanks for the reply rhevian; that one over night charge would do me for pretty much a week.
ID.3 1st Edition
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I had a 7kW home charger installed this week, first charge took me from 30-80% in about 4 hours - perfect for the off-peak electricity tariff that I'm in the process of switching to.
Ph66

Post by Ph66 »

Hi Guys

I am trying to set up delayed charging from my new wall box !

Page 260 of the manual says you have to set up a location - which would be home. Press the kite symbol
However the message coming back says function not available .

What am I doing wrong - or is not available until the new year ??
Using Octopus IO now - off peak electricity - Share £100 each if you join Octopus use this code - share.octopus.energy/tan-thyme-926
Robsto

Post by Robsto »

Having the same problem and dealer hasn't a clue. Did a work around by installing a sonoff basic timer into the control cct of my old style basic rolec charger
This works on my wifi to allow charging times to be set
Deleted User 192

VW (corporate, not a dealer) told me this week that the We Connect ID. app will include timed charging in an update “which should become available in the very near future”
Ph66

Post by Ph66 »

I emailed We connect ID digital about the app and delayed charging time.

The reply back said we are

"We are always striving to improve our Apps in order for it to be more user friendly for our customers. New feature to the Apps will be included with each release updates in the "whats new" section"

Bit disappointing that no further info was available .

So- I suppose - watch this space !
Deleted User 192

There is a new "Departure time" option in the vehicle section of the latest version (1.3.0 in iPhone) of the We Connect ID app but it's blank for me at the moment when I go into it - I guess that's where timed charging will go