Totally dead

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Hoppy wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:20 pm Any suggestions on how to prevent in the meantime?!

Here's what I posted when it happened to mine, thankfully I've had no repeat and the 2.0 software installed this week which means the car self-monitors the 12V and keeps it topped up:

Well by some miracle (and me heeding the advice of the AA man) my car is alive again, with no warnings or errors.

I’ve done 3 cycles now of leaving the car “started” with my Pod Point plugged in - after the first cycle I still had a 12V warning but after the second cycle everything was as normal, I did a third this morning just to be sure.

I’ve been for a drive, deliberately using the heated stuff to trigger a boost to the 12V - no problems and now all locked up til this evening.

Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

AA been snd concerned with the warning snd errors including brake warnings and have recovered to local VW dealer

Hire car being provided and hope dealer puts latest software on as also having the alarm calls at 5am once a week!
1st Edition Makena Turquoise Metallic
2.4 update complete
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

Update at last on our ID
They are ‘hoping’ to look at it and install update on Monday (over a week sat in their park) and may be back Wednesday

Nearly 2 weeks without car !!!!

Don’t hold your breath !
2.4 update complete
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

Car returned last night with latest software
Hopefully all resolved !
2.4 update complete
dilbert

Post by dilbert »

Thought I'd add to the list of 12v battery issues. Mine went flat 12/02, called VW Roadside Assistance and the AA arrived within 20 minutes. He got the car started again and recommended that every couple of days I start the car up and leave it on so that the main battery can charge the 12v battery. It was very cold at the time and I was using heated steering wheel, seats etc but only making short journeys so thought that it was a case of too much drain and not enough charge going back in. Battery was flat again 21/02, AA came out (again) and said that there was a 'parasitic drain' on the battery and to take it the VW dealer on Monday. I did this and have left the car with them. 4 hours later I had a replacement car on my drive and got a courtesy call today to say they are updating the software. I've seen from others that this may take some time which I don't mind too much as long as the issue is fixed
dilbert

Post by dilbert »

Well the good news is I have an ID to drive, bad news is that it isn't my ID though. Dealer contacted me to say I could have one of their ID's to drive and I could hand the rental I got as part of the Roadside Assistance back. They don't yet know what the issue is with my car....

On the upside the ID3 Pro that I have has the new software installed so at least I get a sneak preview of what this looks like for when I get mine back :-)
kaiz

Post by kaiz »

How new? Version?
Life Pro Performance, Manganese gray, Heat pump, Tow bar, 0792 / 2.1.
dilbert

Post by dilbert »

hungerdunger

Post by hungerdunger »

0783 is 2.0, so relatively new but not the 2.1 which they're installing later this month. It's an improvement over the previous version, but you'll still have the miles/kilometres bug in the speed warning (and no doubt other ones too)
ID.3 1st Edition - Manganese Grey - purchased 15/12/20.
Nick Jan

Post by Nick Jan »

After a clear run with my pre-ordered ID3 Style from collection on 31st Dec (s/w version sadly still 0564), I've finally joined the "totally dead" customer experience group! Having charged my car via a Shell rapid charger & CCS socket on Friday, with a top-up at home same night, to my surprise the car was totally dead and locked on Saturday morning.

Having read several comments on here previously, I decided against attempting any wake-up measures myself, and instead called VW Driverline this evening. AA arrived 40 mins later, with a technician who had never worked on an ID3 before, Despite that he managed to gain entry (without alarm triggering) and then boost 12v battery to get car alive again using their huge powerpack; ID3 battery itself showing a meagre 3.2v charge. Once car systems on 12v battery commenced charging from main battery for about 30 mins. He left once satisfied that there were no circuits still draining the battery.

I took then car for 30 min drive, despite a scary range of error messages and briefly a red warning light. Some functions then re-appeared, others did not. AA recommended I arrange s/w update at dealer pronto!
dilbert

Post by dilbert »

still don't have my car back. Dealer advises that the control unit has been replaced but that hasn't solved the issue. When I asked what my car was doing I was advised "nothing"! They are waiting for VW UK to come back to them with advice on what to do next. All a bit concerning really.

Oh, and the software version 0783 that my replacement ID3 has installed doesn't solve the problem of the alarm going off in the middle of the night. Was woken up at 01:45 Monday morning with the alarm going off.

Starting to miss my GTi......
Jono

Post by Jono »

I really feel for you, it’s really an appalling situation. I had a bad experience with a BMW X5 a number of years ago - constantly in the workshop but never fully fixed. In the end I kicked up such a stink, BMW, provided me with a brand new car.

My advise would be to write formally to your dealer (copped to VW) setting out your position and making it clear that if it’s not resolved within xx days that you will take further actions. Can’t guarantee it will work, but it did for me
dilbert

Post by dilbert »

spoke to the dealer again today. So the story is they did a software upgrade and the control unit bust. They ordered another control unit and installed it. The car was working fine but then the 'recall' software update (his words) was required before they could release the car back to me. They did the software update and it fell over part way through. Car dead again and another control unit is on order and this should be with the dealer by next Friday (19th). They then they need to fit it, update the car with the latest version of the software and hopefully that should be an end to it. We'll see........
Jono

Post by Jono »

This type of thing really doesn’t fill me with confidence - it’s a sad state when a software upgrade actually breaks the hardware
mediumbird

Post by mediumbird »

Deep joy! I have joined the totally dead 12V battery club.....The day before it was due to go in for its first software upgrade. Currently awaiting roadside assistance. I had charged it up to 90% yesterday afternoon, and not sure why it should be dead. Interestingly, if I am in the car when its charging, I turn the AC off, but there was still a gentle hum from somewhere in the front and Im wondering if that is what the problem is-something isn't powering down properly and keeps on going even when you exit the car and lock it.

Please be patient with me, as I am a newbie, and not that technical minded. I'm assuming if I open the car with the key, that it won't trigger any alarms? If I were to purchase a 12v battery charger-then what is the best to get?

I have suggested to VW support that they should perhaps provide us beta testers(as that's what we appear to be) with a complimentary 12v battery charger! perhaps even have some sort of 12v remote monitoring system...or even give us all complimentary roadside assistance beyond the usual 1 year....Won't be holding my breath on that one.
Have had numerous error message on various parts of the system over my 4 months of ownership. all of which rectify and non of which VW support could help me with, but this is the first one that has completely disabled the system.

On another subject. Does anyone get a gentle electric shock from the car after charging it up? Seems to happen to me quite regularly after Ive disconnected the charger. Wondering if it's just me....
Last edited by mediumbird on Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 192

If you're on the old software (pre 2.0 aka 0783), charging the "drive" batteries won't do anything to the 12V unless you have the car "started" at the time.

When my 12V was too low the AA guy gave me a process to go through after he had boosted it and brought it back to life:

• Start the car with the button on the side of the steering column
  • Leave the car unlocked
  • Plug it in to charge
  • Leave it for at least 30 minutes
He advised me to repeat that process twice more - later that evening and the following morning - after doing that all was fine and I had no repeat.
mediumbird

Post by mediumbird »

Yes, on version 0564. Just dropped the car off at the garage for its software upgrade after roadside recovery got me going with a wee 12V boost. Will see if the upgrade makes any difference.....
Amazing number of errors after the 12V boost-would make you terrified to actually drive it if I hadn't read about that on this forum. Thanks
Deleted User 192

Once it's on 2.0 or later the car monitors the 12V and tops it up from the "drive" batteries if needed, in theory you shouldn't get a repeat.
thefordprefect

Post by thefordprefect »

I measured a voltage of 2.94 volts on the 12 volt battery whilst in our drive. To allow the battery to fall to this level is never advised – as an electronic design engineer, I cannot conceive how there was not a low voltage shut down in the discharge path electronics long before this voltage was reached!:

from - Battery 101 Three Things Need Know Lead Acid Batteries | Northeast Battery Blog
“This is a hard and fast NO. By fully discharging your lead acid battery, or even discharging it below 80% of its rated capacity, you could damage the battery.
The belief that a battery needed to be fully discharged before recharging goes back to the memory effect issue. (See question 1.) Since that is no longer an issue (and never was an issue with lead acid batteries) there is not a need to fully discharge.
By discharging a lead acid battery to below the manufacturer’s stated end of life discharge voltage you are allowing the polarity of some of the weaker cells to become reversed. This causes permanent damage to those cells and prevents the battery from ever being recharged.”

The AA engineer who took the vehicle to dealer (I did not want to drive with errors on brakes, steering and 6 other things) a distance of 10 miles informed us that the battery had not recharged during the trip – still read below 12 volts, This may be because the battery charge circuit was non functional or the battery had been damaged by over discharge.

Beware early death of 12 volt battery if the voltage has fallen below recommended minimum!
Folkramfer

Post by Folkramfer »

I'm a bit bemused as to why you need a lead acid battery. Its adding all that extra weight and taking up space. If vw felt the need for extra electric capacity why did they not put in a slightly higher rated main battery. I'm sure any need for reserve power, segregation of supply and voltage differences could have been handled electronically. Oops! VW aren't too good at electronics these days.