Totally dead

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

hwhbev wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:42 pm Surely VW must know by now the cause with so many ID.3s having had this problem......
I think when listening to "Battery Life" channel on YouTube he stated one issue is the carbus drawing current continuously from 12v battery when ID.3 switched off. It will be properly fixed in 2021 with 2.1 software - - "My ID.3 died" and - "What happened after it died".
But according to Facebook - ME2.0 software charges the 12v battery from the high voltage battery when the 12v battery is getting too low. https://www.facebook.com/groups/514077975814912/
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire

RDR

Post by RDR »

Two weeks before I am booked to get the software update it seems we are now getting issues. App warned me the battery was low this morning I tried the car and got a few errors presumably related. I just called my dealers service desk to see if its ok to put the 12v battery on a battery charger/conditioner the chap would not agree to it and told me to call VW assistance. Offered to just drive it to them but they wont give me a car as its not technically broken down yet so i'ma little stuck do I risk using it for it to be dead in a carpark somewhere if it hasn't charged the 12v enough or right my morning off getting it recovered :-/
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Call VW Assistance.

They will send out the AA, they should give the 12V a boost and check it over for anything obvious such as a loose connection. If your car needs recovery or to go to the workshop they will arrange a hire car for you.
RDR

Post by RDR »

thanks, took matters into my own hands after the dealer advised me not to condition the battery myself. I didn't want too boost or charge it incase the Battery Management System threw a hissy fit giving the dealer cause to blame me. Not wanting to get stranded either I put weight on the drivers seat, clicked the seatbelt, turned the ignition on (touched the brake pedal) put it in neutral and chocked it on the drive. Left it for an hour and now it seems ok. The app no longer throws the message either. I guess when the ignition is on the onboard charger conditions the 12v battery. Bit of a Heath Robinson solution but seems to have worked.
Deleted User 192

That’s pretty much what the AA guy had me do after boosting the 12V battery, but with my main drive battery charging.

Left it for 30-60 minutes each time, did it 3 times in total a few hours apart.

It’s been fine since.

Glad yours has been successfully brought back to life 😊
Rockonron

Post by Rockonron »

I didn't think it was going to happen to me, but after 3 months of ownership, came out this morning to a completely dead car. Have a charger on it at the moment, but it seems to be saying that 12v battery is fine. I Will leave it on for a few hours and check again.

But right now car is dead.

Does anyone know if

1. There is a way to release the handbrake manually,so that at least we can move the car out of the way (currently blocking our diesel car in)
2. Is there a way to manually release the charging point flap, would love to plug car in to see what happens.

Ronan
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

Rockonron wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:38 pm 1. There is a way to release the handbrake manually,so that at least we can move the car out of the way (currently blocking our diesel car in)
2. Is there a way to manually release the charging point flap, would love to plug car in to see what happens.
1. Sorry I don't know.
2. Page 263 manual release in panel on right hand side of boot, just make sure you pull the right release loop for the charging connector not the one that disconnects the high voltage.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
Rockonron

Post by Rockonron »

Well I ended up calling vw assist and they sent someone out and got me going in now time at all.

Drove the car around for a while and seems to be working again.

Just a heads up for anyone, previous to the battery dying I had a yellow and red exclamation on the panel behind the steering wheel.

The status screen showed no error. I had this for maybe a week on and off until that eventful day.

I believe this gets fixed somewhat in the q1 update.

As things stand now, I can drive except that I got a nail in the tyre this morning, so will have to limp to a garage to get it sorted in the morning.

Ronan
Deleted User 192

If the nail is in the tread pattern and you have 19” or 20” wheels your tyre should include a seal technology for punctures up to 5mm in size

When my car had a poorly 12V it first had the yellow triangle coupled with a warning message at the top of the screen, then a red triangle with an error message at the top of the screen - it tried to let me know...
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

We have had our first instance of dead battery this morning

Doors won’t open and totally dead awaiting AA at tge moment and we are on 0564

Hopefully latest software does the problems as really putting a damper on the enjoyment of vehicle.

Any suggestions on how to prevent in the meantime?!
1st Edition Makena Turquoise Metallic
2.4 update complete
Deleted User 192

Hoppy wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:20 pm Any suggestions on how to prevent in the meantime?!

Here's what I posted when it happened to mine, thankfully I've had no repeat and the 2.0 software installed this week which means the car self-monitors the 12V and keeps it topped up:

Well by some miracle (and me heeding the advice of the AA man) my car is alive again, with no warnings or errors.

I’ve done 3 cycles now of leaving the car “started” with my Pod Point plugged in - after the first cycle I still had a 12V warning but after the second cycle everything was as normal, I did a third this morning just to be sure.

I’ve been for a drive, deliberately using the heated stuff to trigger a boost to the 12V - no problems and now all locked up til this evening.
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

AA been snd concerned with the warning snd errors including brake warnings and have recovered to local VW dealer

Hire car being provided and hope dealer puts latest software on as also having the alarm calls at 5am once a week!
2.4 update complete
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

Update at last on our ID
They are ‘hoping’ to look at it and install update on Monday (over a week sat in their park) and may be back Wednesday

Nearly 2 weeks without car !!!!

Don’t hold your breath !
2.4 update complete
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

Car returned last night with latest software
Hopefully all resolved !
2.4 update complete
dilbert

Post by dilbert »

Thought I'd add to the list of 12v battery issues. Mine went flat 12/02, called VW Roadside Assistance and the AA arrived within 20 minutes. He got the car started again and recommended that every couple of days I start the car up and leave it on so that the main battery can charge the 12v battery. It was very cold at the time and I was using heated steering wheel, seats etc but only making short journeys so thought that it was a case of too much drain and not enough charge going back in. Battery was flat again 21/02, AA came out (again) and said that there was a 'parasitic drain' on the battery and to take it the VW dealer on Monday. I did this and have left the car with them. 4 hours later I had a replacement car on my drive and got a courtesy call today to say they are updating the software. I've seen from others that this may take some time which I don't mind too much as long as the issue is fixed
dilbert

Post by dilbert »

Well the good news is I have an ID to drive, bad news is that it isn't my ID though. Dealer contacted me to say I could have one of their ID's to drive and I could hand the rental I got as part of the Roadside Assistance back. They don't yet know what the issue is with my car....

On the upside the ID3 Pro that I have has the new software installed so at least I get a sneak preview of what this looks like for when I get mine back :-)
kaiz

Post by kaiz »

How new? Version?
Life Pro Performance, Manganese gray, Heat pump, Tow bar, 0792 / 2.1.
dilbert

Post by dilbert »

hungerdunger

Post by hungerdunger »

0783 is 2.0, so relatively new but not the 2.1 which they're installing later this month. It's an improvement over the previous version, but you'll still have the miles/kilometres bug in the speed warning (and no doubt other ones too)
ID.3 1st Edition - Manganese Grey - purchased 15/12/20.
Nick Jan

Post by Nick Jan »

After a clear run with my pre-ordered ID3 Style from collection on 31st Dec (s/w version sadly still 0564), I've finally joined the "totally dead" customer experience group! Having charged my car via a Shell rapid charger & CCS socket on Friday, with a top-up at home same night, to my surprise the car was totally dead and locked on Saturday morning.

Having read several comments on here previously, I decided against attempting any wake-up measures myself, and instead called VW Driverline this evening. AA arrived 40 mins later, with a technician who had never worked on an ID3 before, Despite that he managed to gain entry (without alarm triggering) and then boost 12v battery to get car alive again using their huge powerpack; ID3 battery itself showing a meagre 3.2v charge. Once car systems on 12v battery commenced charging from main battery for about 30 mins. He left once satisfied that there were no circuits still draining the battery.

I took then car for 30 min drive, despite a scary range of error messages and briefly a red warning light. Some functions then re-appeared, others did not. AA recommended I arrange s/w update at dealer pronto!