Totally dead

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Sheila

Post by Sheila »

There is a part that needs replacing in my car too. Think it's the gear control, which seems to be consistent with the solution provided to others who have the same issue as me. Not sure if it's connected to the 12V battery in my case since VW didn't mention it. But yeah, a replacement part has been ordered, but I've been told that it is unknown when it will arrive. For now, I have a loaner car (first an ID.3 1st Performance, and today, they changed it to an ID.4 Performance since they had apparently sold the first loaner car). They have put us down for 3 weeks with the loaner car this time, and our car has been at the workshop now for 14 days... .

Waldemar

Post by Waldemar »

My ID3 has the same battery problem. Car was uk registered in May 2021. Garage VW Johnsons in Solihull cant see it until 17 Jan 2023 as they have 1 trained ID technician only and are apparently the only garage with an ID technician encompassing an area between Birmingham, Shrewsbury and Liverpool! If thats true its shameful. They have queues of ID3 owners with their cars waiting to be seen! I eventually got a response after Johnsons suggested I ring VW Assistance. Within a couple of hours an AA van pulled up outside my house and the engineer did a few checks on my 12v battery and diagnosed it was totally flat at 0.0Volts! He got his booster out and 10 minutes later, Viola! All errors disappeared. Used my 12volt battery charger to bring battery up to 100% charged.
My only issue now is that my 12v battery will discharge 50% from full overnight. That means unless I drive it regularly, it will leak power and go flat again!
I've bought a booster. Come on VW! This has been going on, according to the ID3 forum, since 2020! Why haven't you sorted it and recalled all affected cars!
WW
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

I assume you haven't had the 2.4 update, is the appointment on the 17th to complete tha? If not have you tried any other dealer franchise in the area?
Has anyone had any success with getting a replacement battery of similar type put in the car even as a temporary stop gap?
Waldemar

Post by Waldemar »

In reply to G43Fan, yes my car is software ver 2.4. Although VW says its 2.4 my car says its 2.3. Still they confirmed it was definitely 2.4. It got updated in October 22 and I got it back after about 4 weeks. In fairness after 1 week they gave me a courtesy after first week. I've been charging my ID3 every other night. Its in the garage on Tuesday 17th so hope they sort it.
WW
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

That is a bit odd, early cars that had 12v battery discharge issues were fixed via much earlier software updates,
The 2.4 Update was to replace the 12v battery as much as anything so you should have a newer more robust battery.

I would also say "In fairness"? No 2.4 was a recall and the email from VW makes it clear you should get alternative transport should you require it.

and Yes, the car still says 2.3 the important thing to look for is Version 0912 lower down.
KelvinForce9

Post by KelvinForce9 »

SOFTWARE UPGRADES:- We delivered our id3 1st Edition, in full working order, to the local dealer for its first service on 05 December and the car is still with them due to repeated software upgrade related problems.
The first problem appears to have been caused by the new software (V2.4) not recognising the reversing camera as our car had been fitted with an assembly made for the VW Golf. Eventually the camera was replaced and the upgrade to V2.4 completed on 06 January 2013.
However, as my wife and I are both 73 years old and incapable of making the over the air upgrade to V3.0 the dealer agreed to make the upgrade on our behalf but this failed and today we were told that they were unable to guarantee the drivability of the vehicle.
What does this mean; they have broken our car rendering unserviceable plus they are unable to give any indication of when they can fix the problem.
How can VW expect its owners to undertake upgrading the vehicle software when it appears that their own agents are incapable?
As a side issue I contacted VW Customer Service and was given no help whatsoever other than a complaint number and being told that in situations like this they had no authority and/or responsibility and the Dealer was solely responsible for resolving the matter.
It used to be that a car service was an oil & filter change plus a rub down with an oily rag but now days its a software upgrade hoping that it does not leave your car unserviceable as in our case.
VW have got to do better; we have owned 3 x Toyota Hybrids and 4 x Lexus Hybrids with no problems and certainly nothing related with software upgrades.
It was not so long ago that we complained about Microsoft using its customers to debug its Windows operating systems; however, unlike a computer a car has the potential to kill. Note the actions of Boeing when, recently, they withdrew the 737 Max8 from service due to to issues with its software.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

KelvinForce9 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:58 pm SOFTWARE UPGRADES:- We delivered our id3 1st Edition, in full working order, to the local dealer for its first service on 05 December and the car is still with them due to repeated software upgrade related problems.
The first problem appears to have been caused by the new software (V2.4) not recognising the reversing camera as our car had been fitted with an assembly made for the VW Golf. Eventually the camera was replaced and the upgrade to V2.4 completed on 06 January 2013.
However, as my wife and I are both 73 years old and incapable of making the over the air upgrade to V3.0 the dealer agreed to make the upgrade on our behalf but this failed and today we were told that they were unable to guarantee the drivability of the vehicle.
What does this mean; they have broken our car rendering unserviceable plus they are unable to give any indication of when they can fix the problem.
How can VW expect its owners to undertake upgrading the vehicle software when it appears that their own agents are incapable?
As a side issue I contacted VW Customer Service and was given no help whatsoever other than a complaint number and being told that in situations like this they had no authority and/or responsibility and the Dealer was solely responsible for resolving the matter.
It used to be that a car service was an oil & filter change plus a rub down with an oily rag but now days its a software upgrade hoping that it does not leave your car unserviceable as in our case.
VW have got to do better; we have owned 3 x Toyota Hybrids and 4 x Lexus Hybrids with no problems and certainly nothing related with software upgrades.
It was not so long ago that we complained about Microsoft using its customers to debug its Windows operating systems; however, unlike a computer a car has the potential to kill. Note the actions of Boeing when, recently, they withdrew the 737 Max8 from service due to to issues with its software.
Judging by the number of people who are having issues with the ID range, it is probably about time that trading standards became involved. Is there still a TV programme like “Watchdog”? VW need to be “prodded” into waking up about these issues. The VW customer support is “not fit for purpose”, and certainly aren’t anything like a support department should be. I wonder, also, if VW realise they can get away with pretty much anything they like with the Brits, since Brexit.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

As it was a 1st had it had the 2.0(?), 2.1 and 2.3 updates already, if so 2.3 was OTA. Also was this a retro fitted Reversing camera?

There should be nothing complicated abuot the software update. The car downloads the software in the background using it's own eSim and then when it's ready you click the screen to update. I don't understand how your age should prevent you being able to do it. Was it made clear to you that the 3.0 update is not actually on general release yet?

Every time I see someone suggest the dealer has agreed to install 3.0 it doesn't seem to go well.
KelvinForce9

Post by KelvinForce9 »

We are unsure of the version of software when the care was sent in for its first service; since buying the car we are unaware of any software updates and were told by the dealer that they had attempted to install V2.4 along with the 12v battery upgrade. As far as we know the camera was a factory fitted item. The reversing camera was found to be the cause of the failure to upgrade to V2.4 and VW tech. support gave them the part number of an id4 camera whereas the id3 camera is integrated in the boot catch module. Once they received and replaced the complete id3 boot catch module they were able to complete the upgrade to V2.4.
The technicians at the dealer are qualified to work on an id3 and as the pervious software upgrades were dealer installed who better to make the upgrade to v3.0; an experienced operator or a person who knows enough about it to be dangerous. Both my wife and I have problems with our mobile phones and ill equipped to attack a job of this magnitude. It is dangerous for VW to ask its customers to interfere in the inner most workings of the car.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

3 posts (1 of which is a duplicate) and making personal insults, haven't got time for people like you mate.. bye bye
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

G43FAN wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:35 am 3 posts (1 of which is a duplicate) and making personal insults, haven't got time for people like you mate.. bye bye
As you haven't quoted any post, could you clarify which particular "mate" you are referring to.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

G43FAN wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:35 am 3 posts (1 of which is a duplicate) and making personal insults, haven't got time for people like you mate.. bye bye
He posted the same duplicate stuff on the speakev forum too. Seems to have made his mind up.
I do have some sympathy for people who struggle with technology and are anxious about the update process, but ultimately you don't have to get it done. Comparisons with Boeing and talk of safety problems due to the updates are false. The biggest problem is the complete lack of knowledge at some of the dealerships.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
KelvinForce9

Post by KelvinForce9 »

I believe that it is you, G43Fan who needs to keep an open mind; the following is a quote from another Id3 forum.

"Thanks for that clarity on the battery. My car brakes for non existence obstacles, tries to take me to 110mph every week if using ACC, and constantly has brake servo and a host of other yellow and red warnings. The alarm goes off randomly if the car is set to heat. It disconnects itself from online services for a week or so now and again. I am told this is all fixed in the update- it has been back to the garage for 3.5 weeks and they haven’t managed to get to 2.3. Basically we haven’t had the car for nearly a whole month of the 3 months of ownership."

Yes my mind is made up regarding the id3 and software updates and it's not only me as a significant number of owners have suffered a similar problem. I doubt if you would you allow an unqualified amateur to work on your car so why do VW proposed that I make the over the air upgrade?
You are so right about "the complete lack of knowledge at some of the dealerships"; also, any contact with VW Customer Services is totally useless. So due to no fault of mine I have been left without my car for over six weeks with no idea of if or when it is going to be repaired. Do you have any constructive suggestions regarding what I should do next?
Safety must be the key issue when dealing with any aspect of a motor car and even a hint of any danger must be eliminated.
Waldemar

Post by Waldemar »

Since my 12v ID3 battery was 100% flat (5/1/2023) and has been into the VW garage in Solihull -17/01/2023 to 24/01/2023) there has not been a resolution to my problem of 12v battery drain. I ended up measuring and charging my 12v battery repeatedly between the 5-17/01 using an electricians multimeter set to the 20v range. It did drain consistently, totally flattening in about 3 or 4 days without any car use. However the VW garage had left the car outside every night during these last tests and found NO, I repeat NO, battery drain at all. Their ID3 expert concluded that the 12v battery discharge must somehow be related to my home and recommended a few suggestions. About that timespan I changed where I parked my car on the drive, leaving it close to my house and within 6 or 7 foot from our BT router. Guess what! In my case he was right.

The recommendations he gave were:-

1. Ensure when you get out of the car and leave it, that the On-line/Off-line menu that displays is Off-line. When leaving my car I actually had to get out of the car, lock it and re-enter it to get that menu back. Leaving the car on-line may cause a continuous 12v battery drain, particularly if its paired to your smart phone and close to your router. Mine's was.

2. Make sure your car key fobs are well away from the car and if possible in a metal box or faraday pouch. Mine's wasn't always.

3. Keep the distance between your ID3 and your house router as distant as possible, especially if its a newish, more powerful router that you have.

4. If you have a charging point at your house and if its controlled with smart charging app (cheap 11.30pm- 6.30am tariff) and you have the ID3 app on your phone then keep your car distant to your phone and charging point as you can.

5. Park your car as far away from your property as is reasonable.

Apparently, it was suggested, it may be that if the car senses devices such as keys/smartphone/router/smart charger it remains powered up, consequently draining the 12v battery.
The fault in my case lies with an ignorance of these factors and because there is nothing about this in a comprehensive English manual for the ID3 from VW. I have not had a proper manual for my ID3 for 1.5 years. The beta version, obtained with difficulty on the internet, was poor, putting it politely.

I do hope people with the same issue find these comment useful.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Waldemar wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:17 pm Since my 12v ID3 battery was 100% flat (5/1/2023) and has been into the VW garage in Solihull -17/01/2023 to 24/01/2023) there has not been a resolution to my problem of 12v battery drain. I ended up measuring and charging my 12v battery repeatedly between the 5-17/01 using an electricians multimeter set to the 20v range. It did drain consistently, totally flattening in about 3 or 4 days without any car use. However the VW garage had left the car outside every night during these last tests and found NO, I repeat NO, battery drain at all. Their ID3 expert concluded that the 12v battery discharge must somehow be related to my home and recommended a few suggestions. About that timespan I changed where I parked my car on the drive, leaving it close to my house and within 6 or 7 foot from our BT router. Guess what! In my case he was right.

The recommendations he gave were:-

1. Ensure when you get out of the car and leave it, that the On-line/Off-line menu that displays is Off-line. When leaving my car I actually had to get out of the car, lock it and re-enter it to get that menu back. Leaving the car on-line may cause a continuous 12v battery drain, particularly if its paired to your smart phone and close to your router. Mine's was.

2. Make sure your car key fobs are well away from the car and if possible in a metal box or faraday pouch. Mine's wasn't always.

3. Keep the distance between your ID3 and your house router as distant as possible, especially if its a newish, more powerful router that you have.

4. If you have a charging point at your house and if its controlled with smart charging app (cheap 11.30pm- 6.30am tariff) and you have the ID3 app on your phone then keep your car distant to your phone and charging point as you can.

5. Park your car as far away from your property as is reasonable.

Apparently, it was suggested, it may be that if the car senses devices such as keys/smartphone/router/smart charger it remains powered up, consequently draining the 12v battery.
The fault in my case lies with an ignorance of these factors and because there is nothing about this in a comprehensive English manual for the ID3 from VW. I have not had a proper manual for my ID3 for 1.5 years. The beta version, obtained with difficulty on the internet, was poor, putting it politely.

I do hope people with the same issue find these comment useful.

There's a lot of questionable advice here sorry!

The key is supposed to go to sleep. If the keys are moved about they wake up and yes if in range, wake the car and this I think is what he's basing everything else on.
Have you put new batteries in the key fob recently?
Where do you store the keys, is there anything nearby that vibrates or is a source of vibration? Can you leave the keys so the red light is visible and check to see if it starts flashing?

1. Never seen anyone being told to take the car offline when parking it before. How are you supposed to connect to it from the App?

3. Why is your car connecting to your house router? There is no need for this and in fact most people struggled to get the car to connect to a router in the early days, (before realising it was pointlesss). Have you set up a connection between your house and car?

4. & 5. I would have asked him to explain as this is nonsensical.

It sounds like the expert is basing all this on the suspiscion that your car keeps waking up, the car doesn't sense routers and smartphones unless it's awake, the keys wake the car. The first thing I would have done was to put the keys in a metal box somewhere where they won't get knocked or vibrated. Failng that take the batteries out.

As for the manual the full version has been available via VWs Manuals website all along, I have the printed version it's no better or different to the online version and none of this is covered particularly well.
Waldemar

Post by Waldemar »

For everybody with flat 12v battery in the ID3 on one of the other ID3 forums I have an easy solution to the power leakage in the ID3. It worked for me and was suggested by the ID3 engineer at VW Solihull after he left my car outside the VW garage for a whole week with no battery drain as he couldn't detect a fault anywhere in the car.
1. Don't leave the car on-line. Turn on-line to offline.
2. Don't park near your house router and leave your smart phones well away from the car.
3. Keep away from your charger at home if you can.
4. Keep your keys in a metal box or faraday pouch.

Apparently the car, when left on-line overnight or during the day, senses other IT devices and keeps itself on draining the battery consistently.
There may be people out there who wonder why a proper English manual isn't out there for ID3's explaining all this.
If it is now available why haven't users been contacted by VW? The beta version as a download has been out for a couple of years but it is mediocre at best.
Hope other owners of ID3/4 with this issue find this useful.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Waldemar wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:43 pm For everybody with flat 12v battery in the ID3 on one of the other ID3 forums I have an easy solution to the power leakage in the ID3. It worked for me and was suggested by the ID3 engineer at VW Solihull after he left my car outside the VW garage for a whole week with no battery drain as he couldn't detect a fault anywhere in the car.
2. Don't park near your house router and leave your smart phones well away from the car.

Apparently the car, when left on-line overnight or during the day, senses other IT devices and keeps itself on draining the battery consistently.
There may be people out there who wonder why a proper English manual isn't out there for ID3's explaining all this.
If it is now available why haven't users been contacted by VW? The beta version as a download has been out for a couple of years but it is mediocre at best.
The master technician at my VW dealership told me that it was a bad idea to take the car off-line when parked up overnight. If you do that then apparently it stops the car updating if there is an update due.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Waldemar wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:43 pm For everybody with flat 12v battery in the ID3 on one of the other ID3 forums I have an easy solution to the power leakage in the ID3. It worked for me and was suggested by the ID3 engineer at VW Solihull after he left my car outside the VW garage for a whole week with no battery drain as he couldn't detect a fault anywhere in the car.

Isn't this just a repeat pf the previous post?
This isn't helpful, it makes no sense, why would you take the car offline, people have issues with the car doing that itself without being told to turn it off every time they get out.

This was a dead thread until you resurrected it stating you have the same issue. Very few peoope if any have had the leakage issue post update 2.3 (or was it 2.1 it's in this thread) so the advice should be to you to take it to a dealer who can fix it, instead of a technician who couldn't actully find a fault, so has come up with a solution that renders the advantages of a 'connected' vehicle inoperable. A fix which as suggested above, goes against VW's advice.

If your car has the 2.4 update and battery is losing 50% overnight I would start with asking for the battery to be checked or swapped out the 12v drain issue that was the reason for this thread was fixed a long time ago.

What is this Beta manual you keep going on about, the Manual as much as you get is and has been available all along online. The printed version is no different but VW stopped issuing them almost immediately probably to help with the 0% Carbon footprint. Almost every other Feature VW has on it's cars has a web page with detail and videos explaining how they work (ACC, Lane Assist etc) Manuals are a thing of the past.
sidehaas

Post by sidehaas »

Agree.
The ID3 does not have a battery draining issue at all, the 12V will not run low and the HV will keep it topped up with minimal effort (<1% SoC in a fortnight) unless your car has an unusual fault or has never been updated from the early 'beta' software.
Edit: small caveat, I have heard of a couple of cars which have had 12V warning messages after the 2.4 update for some reason (having not had the problem on 2.3). I don't think any of them have died though.
Last edited by sidehaas on Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ID.3 Family Pro Performance (Jan 22), Makena Turquoise / East Derry alloys. Ohme Home Pro charger.
Up the jumper

Post by Up the jumper »

The suggestion that a 12v battery could flatten by polling the router and/or key is frankly twaddle. Just think about it: a mobile phone doesn't drain that fast when idle, and the capacity of a phone battery is significantly smaller than a car battery. But leaving that aside the car doesn't poll wifi when idle: why would it? Updates are done via the inbuilt SIM.

The answer to battery drain is almost certainly either a faulty battery, or a short somewhere.
Id3 Family Pro 58kwh, moonstone ordered 23/7/21 Picked up 4/3/22
Gloucestershire.