Went to open the car
Totally flat 12v battery
Something has drained the battery overnight
Has this happened to anyone else?
Dealer has had the car now for over a week

Sindidziwa

Re: Totally dead

Post by Sindidziwa » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:28 pm

That doesn’t sound good! Let’s hope they sort it out but I think the dealers don’t really know what they are doing with id.3s...

Hilly

Post by Hilly » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:09 pm

Yes exactly
The dealer tells me they are testing and fault finding in Germany.
Hence the delays

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:39 am

Hi Hilly,

I too have the same issue, with my ID.3.

After a couple of days not using the car the 12 volt battery was drained, and the car was totally dead.

The key fob wouldn’t open the doors.

On opening the ID.3 with the emergency key, the car was non responsive; no lights, no sounds, nothing!

The car only came back to life after breakdown recovery, recharged the 12 volt battery.
The main high voltage battery was still at over 70% charge.

My VW dealership haven’t been able to identify any problems with the car; however, I don’t believe these are isolated cases.

See following you tube video

Stephen

ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:00 pm

A lot of people are experiencing this. If not driven my ID.3 depletes the 12V battery from 100% charge to ~60% charge after a couple of days. Apparently it is a software issue causing parts of the car to not always fully power down thus draining the 12V battery. So eventually there should be a fix in some upcoming software update. Until then check your battery and charge it regularly :-(

scott28tt

Post by scott28tt » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:02 pm

Chris (in the YouTube video) posted an update this morning:

"I have my appointment for the Id.3 12V problem software update. Next tuesday. I bring them the car in the morning. I get a dealer car and pick it up in the afternoon."
ID.3 1st Edition - Moonstone Grey

Avalon

Post by Avalon » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:47 pm

This is certainly bad news re 12v battery drain.

I would be interested to know what software version your car is running at now and what it is when you get the car back.

A
ID.3 1st Edition

silver6d

Re: Totally dead - is the key fob interacting with he car?

Post by silver6d » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:35 pm

Hi,
I have a question for those people who's 12v battery was drained when the car was not used for a couple of days.
How close to the car did you keep the keys?

My ID3 is parked with the bonnet just under my study window. The keys are kept out of sight in the study. Last night I picked up the bunch of keys with the ID3 fob to lock the front door. Through the study window I saw the ID3's lights come on as if I was going to get into the car, I wasn't. Looking at the key fob there was a small red LED flashing all the time, is the car communicating with the fob all the time it is in range and is this draining the 12v battery? I had to walk a further 10m away from the car before the LED stopped flashing. If you kept your keys 15 metres away from the car while the 12v battery drained then my little theory is blown, please let me know.

Silver

Rhevian

Post by Rhevian » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:03 pm

The way the keyless entry works is that yes, the car broadcasts a radio signal, and the key replies if in range - however this would be a very low power signal, and it is unlikely to be enough to drain a lead-acid battery in a couple of days. Keeping the keys close to the car may however drain the small button battery inside the key fob faster than you might like (eg A few months)

ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:52 pm

This topic (over active keys) was discussed a lot in the ID.3 First Movers forum and while it may have small impact it seems unlikely it is the main culprit. The rumour from VW is that the 12V battery drain is due to a software issue in the CAN-Bus controller which results in some components not properly powering down when they should. This has not been officially confirmed however.

For my part, when I became aware of this problem I started rigorously monitoring may 12V battery. Initially it was reading 11.7V! I charged it back to full and now I take a careful, precise reading every day at the same time. I find that with my car inactive, locked and unused and with both sets of keys stored 5m away inside a faraday box the car loses 0.3V every 24 hours. This may not sound like much but is in fact an enormous depletion and means the battery goes from full capacity to 25% capacity in 3 days.

My car is booked into the dealer on Nov 10th for this to be investigated. Hopefully VW will issue a software update soon as there are a lot of people suffering from this and many cars have died unexpectedly and had to be recovered. In the meantime my recommendation is to regularly monitor and charge your 12V battery!