Totally dead

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
dilbert

Re: Totally dead

Post by dilbert » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:49 pm

still don't have my car back. Dealer advises that the control unit has been replaced but that hasn't solved the issue. When I asked what my car was doing I was advised "nothing"! They are waiting for VW UK to come back to them with advice on what to do next. All a bit concerning really.

Oh, and the software version 0783 that my replacement ID3 has installed doesn't solve the problem of the alarm going off in the middle of the night. Was woken up at 01:45 Monday morning with the alarm going off.

Starting to miss my GTi......

Jono

Post by Jono » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:09 pm

I really feel for you, it’s really an appalling situation. I had a bad experience with a BMW X5 a number of years ago - constantly in the workshop but never fully fixed. In the end I kicked up such a stink, BMW, provided me with a brand new car.

My advise would be to write formally to your dealer (copped to VW) setting out your position and making it clear that if it’s not resolved within xx days that you will take further actions. Can’t guarantee it will work, but it did for me

dilbert

Post by dilbert » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:05 pm

spoke to the dealer again today. So the story is they did a software upgrade and the control unit bust. They ordered another control unit and installed it. The car was working fine but then the 'recall' software update (his words) was required before they could release the car back to me. They did the software update and it fell over part way through. Car dead again and another control unit is on order and this should be with the dealer by next Friday (19th). They then they need to fit it, update the car with the latest version of the software and hopefully that should be an end to it. We'll see........

Jono

Post by Jono » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:03 pm

This type of thing really doesn’t fill me with confidence - it’s a sad state when a software upgrade actually breaks the hardware

mediumbird

Post by mediumbird » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:49 am

Deep joy! I have joined the totally dead 12V battery club.....The day before it was due to go in for its first software upgrade. Currently awaiting roadside assistance. I had charged it up to 90% yesterday afternoon, and not sure why it should be dead. Interestingly, if I am in the car when its charging, I turn the AC off, but there was still a gentle hum from somewhere in the front and Im wondering if that is what the problem is-something isn't powering down properly and keeps on going even when you exit the car and lock it.

Please be patient with me, as I am a newbie, and not that technical minded. I'm assuming if I open the car with the key, that it won't trigger any alarms? If I were to purchase a 12v battery charger-then what is the best to get?

I have suggested to VW support that they should perhaps provide us beta testers(as that's what we appear to be) with a complimentary 12v battery charger! perhaps even have some sort of 12v remote monitoring system...or even give us all complimentary roadside assistance beyond the usual 1 year....Won't be holding my breath on that one.
Have had numerous error message on various parts of the system over my 4 months of ownership. all of which rectify and non of which VW support could help me with, but this is the first one that has completely disabled the system.

On another subject. Does anyone get a gentle electric shock from the car after charging it up? Seems to happen to me quite regularly after Ive disconnected the charger. Wondering if it's just me....
Last edited by mediumbird on Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scott28tt

Post by scott28tt » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:36 am

If you're on the old software (pre 2.0 aka 0783), charging the "drive" batteries won't do anything to the 12V unless you have the car "started" at the time.

When my 12V was too low the AA guy gave me a process to go through after he had boosted it and brought it back to life:

• Start the car with the button on the side of the steering column
  • Leave the car unlocked
  • Plug it in to charge
  • Leave it for at least 30 minutes
He advised me to repeat that process twice more - later that evening and the following morning - after doing that all was fine and I had no repeat.
ID.3 1st Edition - Moonstone Grey

mediumbird

Post by mediumbird » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:06 pm

Yes, on version 0564. Just dropped the car off at the garage for its software upgrade after roadside recovery got me going with a wee 12V boost. Will see if the upgrade makes any difference.....
Amazing number of errors after the 12V boost-would make you terrified to actually drive it if I hadn't read about that on this forum. Thanks

scott28tt

Post by scott28tt » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:19 pm

Once it's on 2.0 or later the car monitors the 12V and tops it up from the "drive" batteries if needed, in theory you shouldn't get a repeat.
ID.3 1st Edition - Moonstone Grey

thefordprefect

Post by thefordprefect » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:41 pm

I measured a voltage of 2.94 volts on the 12 volt battery whilst in our drive. To allow the battery to fall to this level is never advised – as an electronic design engineer, I cannot conceive how there was not a low voltage shut down in the discharge path electronics long before this voltage was reached!:

from - Battery 101 Three Things Need Know Lead Acid Batteries | Northeast Battery Blog
“This is a hard and fast NO. By fully discharging your lead acid battery, or even discharging it below 80% of its rated capacity, you could damage the battery.
The belief that a battery needed to be fully discharged before recharging goes back to the memory effect issue. (See question 1.) Since that is no longer an issue (and never was an issue with lead acid batteries) there is not a need to fully discharge.
By discharging a lead acid battery to below the manufacturer’s stated end of life discharge voltage you are allowing the polarity of some of the weaker cells to become reversed. This causes permanent damage to those cells and prevents the battery from ever being recharged.”

The AA engineer who took the vehicle to dealer (I did not want to drive with errors on brakes, steering and 6 other things) a distance of 10 miles informed us that the battery had not recharged during the trip – still read below 12 volts, This may be because the battery charge circuit was non functional or the battery had been damaged by over discharge.

Beware early death of 12 volt battery if the voltage has fallen below recommended minimum!

Folkramfer

Post by Folkramfer » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:31 am

I'm a bit bemused as to why you need a lead acid battery. Its adding all that extra weight and taking up space. If vw felt the need for extra electric capacity why did they not put in a slightly higher rated main battery. I'm sure any need for reserve power, segregation of supply and voltage differences could have been handled electronically. Oops! VW aren't too good at electronics these days.