Totally dead

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Grafight

Post by Grafight »

For those that have had this issue - what has been the outcome? Has VW accepted that there is an issue and updated your software or fixed the hardware?

Our brand new ID3 (less than two weeks old) had this problem this morning. My wife went to drive it to work and the car was just completely dead. I had to call out VW Assistance / The AA - who confirmed that the 12V battery needed charging. He also confirmed that there was nothing left on in the car by us that would have drained the 12V battery - although in fairness I thought this was impossible as everything switches off when you get out of the car and lock it.

What surprised me was that the car had not been left parked up for weeks. My wife drove it the evening before to return from work without any issue.

The AA then advised me to drive the car for ~30 mins to charge the 12 - which I did, although to start with the car had loads of errors and wouldn't go into D, B or R until I had restarted it.

After 10 mins all the errors apart from the 12V (I've posted an image) went away and after 30 mins this disappeared too.

I'd really like to hear from other owners that have been through this.

VW.jpeg

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I had my first 12V warning yesterday morning, I needed to drive the car for an hour or so anyway and it went away and hasn’t re-appeared. My car was still driveable and there were no other warnings, just the 12V.

Needless to say I’m keeping a close eye on it now!

What software version does your car have? You have sufficient justification to have the 2.0 / 0783 update installed, this has a fix where the car will use the main battery if the 12V runs down.
Grafight

Post by Grafight »

Thanks Scott - I wasn't aware that the 0783 fixed this issue. I've just nipped out and checked and our car is on 0564. I'll contact our dealership and see of they can do the update.
Deleted User 192

I spoke too soon, mine is now completely dead - no warnings, no lights, no mirrors dropping - nothing at all.

Now waiting for the AA to come (via VW roadside assistance).
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Hi Grafight,

My ID.3 1st edition, needed jumpstarting by VW roadside assist, in less than 2 weeks from purchase. The second time it needed jumpstarting by roadside assist was 1 week after receiving the first software update (0570). I'm now on my second software update (0783) and second 12 volt battery. In total, I've been back to the dealership three times to get this problem resolved. The car has been at my VW dealer’s workshops for 17 days – since purchasing the car a little over 2 months ago.

According to my VW dealer the internal information they have, does indicate that the latest software update (0783) should correct the 12 volt battery drain problem.

I've now had the latest software update (0783) for 1.5 weeks, so it's really too early to say whether the problem is now solved.
However, I'm now getting a new error message 'drive system' error, and the problem of incorrect speed limit warnings continues.

I would recommend a strong complaint letter to VW customer services, plus getting your VW dealer to replace the 12 volt battery and update the software to the latest version (0783).

It's my opinion that all ID.3 models without the latest software bug fix will eventually suffer from the 12 volt battery drain problem; however, the majority of customers aren't yet aware of the joys to come.

20201213_093230718_iOS.jpg

hwhbev

Post by hwhbev »

Stephen wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:16 pm It's my opinion that all ID.3 models without the latest software bug fix will eventually suffer from the 12 volt battery drain problem; however, the majority of customers aren't yet aware of the joys to come.
It hasn't happen to my ID.3 yet but I am now carrying one of these in my car just in case:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=car+batter ... r+portable
Cliff T

Post by Cliff T »

I collected my ID3 on 18th December and joined the team of dead battery owners yesterday after the car had sat in the garage for a couple of days. VW assist turned up fairly quickly as the AA man was in the area. He had never seen an ID.3 before but was able to get some power into the 12V battery. He couldn't fully charge it and told me that when everything was turned off the battery was discharging at a rate of 3 amps so something was draining the power. Since then I've had my own charger on the car and it seems to have recharged the battery after a full 24 hours. I haven't yet tried to drive it.

The dealer (Inchcape) had assured me the car had the most recent software update but I'm unsure how to check this. Can anyone tell me how I can find out what software update the car is running?

I have rejected the car to both the dealer and VW and I await the reactions. Needless to say they don't seem to be in a hurry to give me my money back.

I am astounded that they can continue to sell a car with such a crucial inherent fault. They are obviously aware of the problem but continue to use us as guinea pigs.
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

You can find the software version under Settings then System Information.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
hwhbev

Post by hwhbev »

I wonder how many of the 294 registered members of id3forums.co.uk actually own an ID.3. Doing a search through the forum for the dead 12v battery issue I count eight people that have reported this problem. That's eight too many but I wonder what proportion of all ID.3s have experienced this problem. I note that a few owners have this problem with their car just a matter of days after taking ownership whereas for others it can happen weeks later. This is clearly a worry for those of us that have had their ID.3 for some time and aren't sure whether their car is going to respond when they next try to drive it. My car hasn't had this problem (yet) but is it just a matter of time.... :?

Surely VW must know by now the cause with so many ID.3s having had this problem......
Cliff T

Post by Cliff T »

Thanks for the advice Simonrg. I have checked my software update and it is 0783 so I appear to have the most up to date fix. It seems that has not sorted the 12V battery problem.
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

hwhbev wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:42 pm Surely VW must know by now the cause with so many ID.3s having had this problem......
I think when listening to "Battery Life" channel on YouTube he stated one issue is the carbus drawing current continuously from 12v battery when ID.3 switched off. It will be properly fixed in 2021 with 2.1 software - - "My ID.3 died" and - "What happened after it died".
But according to Facebook - ME2.0 software charges the 12v battery from the high voltage battery when the 12v battery is getting too low. https://www.facebook.com/groups/514077975814912/
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
RDR

Post by RDR »

Two weeks before I am booked to get the software update it seems we are now getting issues. App warned me the battery was low this morning I tried the car and got a few errors presumably related. I just called my dealers service desk to see if its ok to put the 12v battery on a battery charger/conditioner the chap would not agree to it and told me to call VW assistance. Offered to just drive it to them but they wont give me a car as its not technically broken down yet so i'ma little stuck do I risk using it for it to be dead in a carpark somewhere if it hasn't charged the 12v enough or right my morning off getting it recovered :-/
Deleted User 192

Call VW Assistance.

They will send out the AA, they should give the 12V a boost and check it over for anything obvious such as a loose connection. If your car needs recovery or to go to the workshop they will arrange a hire car for you.
RDR

Post by RDR »

thanks, took matters into my own hands after the dealer advised me not to condition the battery myself. I didn't want too boost or charge it incase the Battery Management System threw a hissy fit giving the dealer cause to blame me. Not wanting to get stranded either I put weight on the drivers seat, clicked the seatbelt, turned the ignition on (touched the brake pedal) put it in neutral and chocked it on the drive. Left it for an hour and now it seems ok. The app no longer throws the message either. I guess when the ignition is on the onboard charger conditions the 12v battery. Bit of a Heath Robinson solution but seems to have worked.
Deleted User 192

That’s pretty much what the AA guy had me do after boosting the 12V battery, but with my main drive battery charging.

Left it for 30-60 minutes each time, did it 3 times in total a few hours apart.

It’s been fine since.

Glad yours has been successfully brought back to life 😊
Rockonron

Post by Rockonron »

I didn't think it was going to happen to me, but after 3 months of ownership, came out this morning to a completely dead car. Have a charger on it at the moment, but it seems to be saying that 12v battery is fine. I Will leave it on for a few hours and check again.

But right now car is dead.

Does anyone know if

1. There is a way to release the handbrake manually,so that at least we can move the car out of the way (currently blocking our diesel car in)
2. Is there a way to manually release the charging point flap, would love to plug car in to see what happens.

Ronan
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

Rockonron wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:38 pm 1. There is a way to release the handbrake manually,so that at least we can move the car out of the way (currently blocking our diesel car in)
2. Is there a way to manually release the charging point flap, would love to plug car in to see what happens.
1. Sorry I don't know.
2. Page 263 manual release in panel on right hand side of boot, just make sure you pull the right release loop for the charging connector not the one that disconnects the high voltage.
Rockonron

Post by Rockonron »

Well I ended up calling vw assist and they sent someone out and got me going in now time at all.

Drove the car around for a while and seems to be working again.

Just a heads up for anyone, previous to the battery dying I had a yellow and red exclamation on the panel behind the steering wheel.

The status screen showed no error. I had this for maybe a week on and off until that eventful day.

I believe this gets fixed somewhat in the q1 update.

As things stand now, I can drive except that I got a nail in the tyre this morning, so will have to limp to a garage to get it sorted in the morning.

Ronan
Deleted User 192

If the nail is in the tread pattern and you have 19” or 20” wheels your tyre should include a seal technology for punctures up to 5mm in size

When my car had a poorly 12V it first had the yellow triangle coupled with a warning message at the top of the screen, then a red triangle with an error message at the top of the screen - it tried to let me know...
Hoppy

Post by Hoppy »

We have had our first instance of dead battery this morning

Doors won’t open and totally dead awaiting AA at tge moment and we are on 0564

Hopefully latest software does the problems as really putting a damper on the enjoyment of vehicle.

Any suggestions on how to prevent in the meantime?!
1st Edition Makena Turquoise Metallic
2.4 update complete