Full charge range

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Rockonron

Post by Rockonron »

Hi everyone,

I have just got a new id3 and enjoying driving it very much, however I noticed today that after a full charge the car is reporting 216 mile range to me. Should this not be up at 240 to 260 miles.

Ronan

Sindidziwa

Post by Sindidziwa »

Mine is the same - I've done 1500 miles at 3.1 miles/kWh, which is nearer 180 miles actual range. Many of those miles have been at 70 mph on motorways, which would explain some of the shorter range.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

It's cold, every EV in the UK will be showing a shorter range than usual today.

The 260 miles WLTP range is based on temperatures between 14-23 degrees:

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/ ... explained/
Rockonron

Post by Rockonron »

The cold weather might explain it alright.

Can I ask where you found the info on the dashboard for miles per kWh

Ronan
Sindidziwa

Post by Sindidziwa »

Hi Ronan, In the settings you can choose the units. It's set by default as kWh/100km but you can choose. It does seem a bit strange seeing -20miles/kWh when braking though...
OllyExeterID3

Post by OllyExeterID3 »

Hi all, I posted the below to another thread, thought it would also be appropriate here:

"We are getting our I.D.3 on Friday after having had a 33kWh BMW i3 for 2 years. The main thing to remember about the WLTP range is this is in ideal conditions and generally not attainable unless you drive at absolute maximum efficiency - it has always been a red herring when it comes to showing the genuinely attainable range of any EV. As a guide, our i3 has always been very efficient but we struggle to eek out the WLTP range of 110-120 miles. We can get 130 miles during summer (20 degrees, light wind conditions) but as little as 80 miles during the winter. I suspect similarly, expect an 'average' range of around about 210 miles for the I.D.3 - with up to 260 miles in summer but potentially as little as 160 miles in winter."
Robsto

Post by Robsto »

After 1000miles I am averaging 185 miles per full charge
OllyExeterID3

Post by OllyExeterID3 »

Exactly Robsto - it can really vary so depends where you are/how often you drive on motorways/driving style. We managed to get an average 30% increase in range when we bought our i3 second hand a couple of years ago but that is because I am a tortoise when driving - 65-67 on motorways (always just hang behind lorries!), 55-ish on single carriageways. Once covered the distance from Gloucester services back to Exeter without stopping - 109 miles with a predicted range of 105. Got back with 20 miles of range left but that was being really careful, sticking in left hand lane and not overtaking. I can imagine it will be tempting to be less careful with our I.D.3 though!