Infotainment : Media

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Avalon

Post by Avalon »

Being stuck in the dark ages, I’m used to listening to music from USB.

Plugging in my large-ish external drive to the ID.3 I find that the entire library appears as one huge list sorted alphabetically. It was cool on my Golf as it recognised the albums and tracks that I could easily select from.

Apart from having to now ‘tag’ a zillion MP3 tracks is there any other way of listening to my music in a more logical way in the car?

(I’ve a few gigs worth of music on my phone but I’m restricted for space on that device).

Best wishes all.

A
ID.3 1st Edition

Folkramfer

Post by Folkramfer »

Also looking for info on the infotainment. I have 2 iPods one in my car one in my wife's. Great. Loads of music at hand and sorted whichever way. Now she has an id.3 and........nothing. Can't find any way to even find ipod on id.3. Even had to buy two usb adaptors for the usb C sockets.
I found it on blue tooth but can only push songs from the ipod. No good.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Folkramfer wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:44 pm Also looking for info on the infotainment. I have 2 iPods one in my car one in my wife's. Great. Loads of music at hand and sorted whichever way. Now she has an id.3 and........nothing. Can't find any way to even find ipod on id.3. Even had to buy two usb adaptors for the usb C sockets.
I found it on blue tooth but can only push songs from the ipod. No good.
Best option is to get all that music onto a USB stick/drive and plug it into the car, assuming it is in MP3 format.
Folkramfer

Post by Folkramfer »

Thanks Scott. I've put a usb stick in and it works with the built in player.

Strange thing though, the volume + & - buttons on the wheel seem buggy. Tap plus and the volume keeps going up until on max. Tap minus, same thing. Then after a few attempts it sometimes works as it should.
Emanuel

Post by Emanuel »

Folkramfer wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:11 pm Thanks Scott. I've put a usb stick in and it works with the built in player.

Strange thing though, the volume + & - buttons on the wheel seem buggy. Tap plus and the volume keeps going up until on max. Tap minus, same thing. Then after a few attempts it sometimes works as it should.
I don't know if it helps your problem but I've found that all the plus/minus-buttons on the steering wheel are easier to use if you swipe on them rather than press on them. Basically, for plus, swipe from the minus button to the plus button.
Folkramfer

Post by Folkramfer »

Anyone any idea what size usb this car can take. The one I tried is only 8gb and I need about 32gb.
Deleted User 192

Folkramfer wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:11 am Anyone any idea what size usb this car can take. The one I tried is only 8gb and I need about 32gb.

Good question, I’ve not seen that mentioned anywhere and it doesn’t seem to be in the manual (from the quick scan I just did)

You can’t really buy anything smaller than 32gb these days - a 64gb costs less than a tenner so it will be cheap to find out if that size works 😊
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

I'm using a 64Gb stick with no problems.
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot
Folkramfer

Post by Folkramfer »

Thanks for all replies. If we ever get the car back from the dealer we can try the new 64gb stick with all my music on it.
id73

Post by id73 »

You can add Apple Music/ Spotify/ Tidal as a streaming music service if you already have a subscription according to VW website. I’ve tried and failed so far to do this, maybe it will be available with the 2.1 software update?
Deleted User 192

id73 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:11 am You can add Apple Music/ Spotify/ Tidal as a streaming music service if you already have a subscription according to VW website. I’ve tried and failed so far to do this, maybe it will be available with the 2.1 software update?

What software version is on your car?

If it's 0783 (2.0) you gain Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, plus can tether the car to your phone and access internet radio - I'm using YouTube Music via CarPlay in mine, my wife uses Spotify via CarPlay.

If you don't have 2.0 you will get those when 2.1 is rolled out.
stu-evs

Post by stu-evs »

id73 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:11 am You can add Apple Music/ Spotify/ Tidal as a streaming music service if you already have a subscription according to VW website. I’ve tried and failed so far to do this, maybe it will be available with the 2.1 software update?
You need a separate data connection to add these directly into the infotainment system (I.e. a paid data connection via VW or a tethered connection to your mobile hotspot - you can then add the relevant app(s) to your car - and then log in using your normal account details.

However - as stated above - if you’ve got that account set up on your phone then it’s far easier just to use CarPlay....
ID.3 1st Edition

Octopus referral code (get £50 when you switch to Octopus): share.octopus.energy/pale-hare-366
id73

Post by id73 »

Yeah I have been using car play and Apple Music and using Siri to call up music and radio. I have software 2.0 already.
I was trying to add Apple Music natively to the car as a streaming service but as you say it requires a separate data subscription which does not seem to be available yet to ID3 owners but it seems available to other VW cars such as golf mk8.
ProstetnicVogonJeltz

Post by ProstetnicVogonJeltz »

Folkramfer wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:11 am Anyone any idea what size usb this car can take. The one I tried is only 8gb and I need about 32gb.
I'm using a 256Gb USB with no obvious problems. Guess I have way too much music!
Bill Manhire’s not getting any younger.
MusicManInCar

Post by MusicManInCar »

hi,a new member here.
Im in a process of buying a new car and the id3 is the one im likely to get.
Being old school I think I really gonna miss the cd player but maybe you guys can tell that it is ok without one?
Anyway was wondering what is the options of playing music files.....I see you guys mentioning usb/memory stick possibility?
Other ways to play mp3 or flac files? Is there possible to use a AUX input?
Where are inputs.....in the glove compartment?
Sorry for the noob questions but Im coming from a 17 year old Toyota so this is all new to me :oops:
simonmaskell

Post by simonmaskell »

What is a CD??😂
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Like a flat shiny cassette.
Deleted User 192

MusicManInCar wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:27 pm hi,a new member here.
Being old school I think I really gonna miss the cd player but maybe you guys can tell that it is ok without one?
Anyway was wondering what is the options of playing music files.....I see you guys mentioning usb/memory stick possibility?
Sorry for the noob questions but Im coming from a 17 year old Toyota so this is all new to me :oops:

There are USB-C ports in the console between the front seats, copy your MP3s onto a flash drive and plug it in - you might need an adapter from the old USB plug to USB-C, these are sold on Amazon, eBay, and loads of other places.

Then press the Radio/Media icon on the infotainment screen, and choose Media from the options on the left.

Or, just have your music accessible via a phone app (such as Spotify, Apple. Music, YouTube Music, etc) and link your phone to your car (either wired or wireless) via Apple CarPlay or Android Auto.
MusicManInCar

Post by MusicManInCar »

scott28tt wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:34 pm
MusicManInCar wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:27 pm hi,a new member here.

There are USB-C ports in the console between the front seats, copy your MP3s onto a flash drive and plug it in - you might need an adapter from the old USB plug to USB-C, these are sold on Amazon, eBay, and loads of other places.

Then press the Radio/Media icon on the infotainment screen, and choose Media from the options on the left.

Or, just have your music accessible via a phone app (such as Spotify, Apple. Music, YouTube Music, etc) and link your phone to your car (either wired or wireless) via Apple CarPlay or Android Auto.
Thank you for your great reply scott28tt
Raxacorico

Post by Raxacorico »

I'm using two 128GB Sandisk sticks (USB A at one end, USB C at the other) and they work without problem. Music and video both work.
Life Pro Performance, Makena Turquoise - Loen Alloys - June 2021- Zappi Charger - Software v3.2 [dealership]