ID3 Wheel options

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
BFA

Post by BFA »

Hi All,

I’m waiting for the ID3 Tour model to be available in the UK,

One of the draw backs I found with the Tour is the limited options on wheel sizes, with only 19 and 20’’, I find smaller wheels more practical, I’m not great at parking by the curbs, and there is the occasional situation when you have to go over the curb on a very narrow and busy street. I also think small wheels are more eficiente and comfortable.

Has someone checked if VW doesn’t offer smaller wheels due to the extra weight of the car or due to other technical limitations?, I’m thinking to push the dealer to offer me the Tour with 18’’, but I wouldn’t do that if it would make the car less safe to drive.

Thank you for your comments,

Cheers,

NeilDA

Post by NeilDA »

I have an ID.3 1st Edition that comes with 19" wheels and I can tell you the they are definitely not your standard 19" low profile wheels/tyres where you feel even the tiniest of bumps in the road and they have a good amount of sidewall to take care of riding curbs etc. The actual tyre that is fitted to our car is a Continental 215/50 R19 93T ECOCONTACT 6 which is a semi run flat tyre. It's not the sort of run flat tyre which has very stuff side walls that makes for an exceptionally stiff ride but sort of a halfway house that has the addition of being "self-sealing". We've already had a 4" screw go through the tyre and, surprisingly, the self-sealing actually worked. All in all probably one of the best things about the car, and it has it's fair share of issues, is the way it effortlessly rides the roads including those with lumps, bumps, and potholes. Be aware that the car doesn't come with a jack, and wheel brace, spare wheel... OR emergency inflation kit whatsoever, so if you do get a flat it's a call to a recovery service (unless you happen to have access to a spare jack and brace/spanner!). Not ideal.
BFA

Post by BFA »

Thank you Neil,

Very helpful first hand information.
I’ll probably go for the 19’’ then.

Cheers