Unintended Acceleration

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Rockonron

Post by Rockonron »

Had a weird experience today.

I was driving around town with my wife today and as we turned into our estate the id3 started accelerating on its own. It was unsettling to say the least, pressing the brake stopped the acceleration.

My wife thinks I just pressed the wrong pedal but I don't believe that was the case.

However it may have been possible that as I was taken the turn I accidentally pressed the ACC button, if this was the case, it was way to easy to be done and something drivers should be aware off.

No question here really , but just curious if anyone else has experienced this.

NeilDA

Post by NeilDA »

I have had the ACC engaged when approaching a roundabout or traffic lights when I intend to make a turn and found the car identified the junction, automatically slowed to a predefined speed, then tried to accelerate to the speed limit halfway through the turn. Very disconcerting and definitely something to have in mind if you've got ACC engaged.
hwhbev

Post by hwhbev »

Most of my driving is on country roads where it’s only really safe to do 40-50mph. I’ve noticed that if you set the cruise control to say 45 and then drive through a village, it automatically slows down to the speed limit through the village but then on leaving tries to accelerate up to the national speed limit (60 mph). This is not only disconcerting but wrong in my opinion. It should speed up to the speed that was set before it driving through the village.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

hwhbev wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:07 pm I’ve noticed that if you set the cruise control to say 45 and then drive through a village, it automatically slows down to the speed limit through the village but then on leaving tries to accelerate up to the national speed limit (60 mph).

Mine does the same.
NorwichComputersAndy

Post by NorwichComputersAndy »

Does sound like the ACC button accidentally pressed - I have done it already while driving in a 20 after leaving dual carriageway.

I do however really like the auto ACC jump from 30 to national back down to 50 etc. Also the lane assist (much better than previous 2018 Tiguan!) makes for a rather effortless drive.

Also finding the ID auto speed reduction for roundabouts and junctions very good! However the only part I am not keen on is the bend ahead speed reduction. Feels like the attempted map reading AI of the car is a bit much - either that or the speed reduction needs to be calmed down a bit! Perhaps dropping 10mph from national not down to 30!

It does concern me slightly though that one of the roads here in Norwich for what ever reason is listed in the VW satnav at a 110Mph road! Got my colleague to take this earlier as it happens! Bit worrying if there are other map defects going from ACC at 50 to a road marked at 110!

99A969E3-EAB5-4BC0-9AEC-FB11D361BD1A.jpeg

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I wonder where it’s getting that 110 from?

One other quirk you might come across is where the mph signs are calculated by the car when using ACC in kmh - sometimes the sign displays correctly but the car interprets a 60 sign as meaning 60kmh so it slows down to 37mph!
Last edited by Deleted User 192 on Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
M100

Post by M100 »

I found the speeding up to whatever the new road sign says to be very unsettling, and potentially dangerous if you are not prepared for it, and have turned off this feature in the ACC settings.
dem-id3

Post by dem-id3 »

It happened to me today, I set the ACC to 50mph then when it was approaching the motorway, even before I got there it started to accelerate, had to brake to take it off the ACC. It is a good thing when is slows you down when approaching roundabout or junctions, but the accelerating does scare you a bit.
OllyExeterID3

Post by OllyExeterID3 »

How strange! In reference to NorwichComputersAndy, I assume the 110mph comes from a confusion of 110kph which is a standard motorway speed across mainland Europe (Norway for example has 110kph roads near Oslo). Perhaps the glitch in the system is not reporting the figure itself but rather the 'national limit' which is being reported as 110 with mph as a suffix.