IONITY Charging - but not charging?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
NorwichComputersAndy

Post by NorwichComputersAndy »

As I had a rare afternoon free I decided to head to a supplier and grab a coffee with a friend in MK. 110 miles from the office to the Newport Pagnall Ionity SC -

It is the longest journey I have made in my ID 1st so headed off with 170 miles and got here (NP SC) with 80 miles available. Most pleased!

Feels like a behave here of Audi Etrons and Teslas (with the odd Zoe coming and going.

I was armed with my ionity card very excited to use my £500 of electric as I haven’t any chargers nearby!

The ionity screen is gives very clear instructions. Press here to start - Connector into car - Communicating with car - Charging!

Amazing - charging currently at 149MPH which is fine - appreciate cold etc however it hasn’t asked me to present my card!

Now I have a feeling there has been a mistake as how do they know it is me? The VIN can’t be transmitted via the cable (I shouldn’t imagine)

It certainly wasn’t sitting on someone else’s failed attempt as I have checked all the other chargers and they show the same screen.

I’m never going to use my £500 if it is bloody free! 🤪

Has anyone else used one and had it communicate automatically or is this a free charge? Happy either way!

Also on a side note - one of the Etrons has just rearranged the ordinary upright position of a lamp post - whoops! 😳

NeilDA

Post by NeilDA »

Its a different scenario to not being asked for IONITY account details but in my case I have used the "free £500" IONITY WeCharge card on a number of occasions (not at IONITY branded chargers) and while it charged my ID.3 main EV battery as anticipated I am unable to see that any charge has been made against the balance on the card. I'm not arguing but at the moment only the most recent charging session is showing on my account with a £00.00 value.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I used my We Charge card at an Osprey charger on Saturday - it shows in the We Connect ID app as £0.00 for 40kWh, so until VW update the app I think we'll be guessing how much of the credit we've actually used...

As Osprey are a straight 36p/kWh I know I have used £14.40 of mine now (I've started a spreadsheet!)

I shall be using that same charger regularly in the next 10 months now!
Last edited by Deleted User 192 on Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 192

NorwichComputersAndy wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:59 pm
Has anyone else used one and had it communicate automatically or is this a free charge? Happy either way!

Sounds like you got a freebie :P
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

I've used my local Osprey charger three times now, successfully. But my We Connect app shows the list of charging sessions is still completely blank. I've phoned We Connect, and also Osprey, but neither can throw any light on why this is.
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot
Deleted User 192

HeidiFlowerpot wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:34 pm I've used my local Osprey charger three times now, successfully. But my We Connect app shows the list of charging sessions is still completely blank. I've phoned We Connect, and also Osprey, but neither can throw any light on why this is.

To be honest I was expecting that behaviour so was pleasantly surprised when it showed in my app!
Sindidziwa

Post by Sindidziwa »

I've charged at Ionity points a couple of times (Leeds and Kent) and not been charged either time. I think that some of the chargers are free at the moment. Maybe to get people used to using them before the 69p/kWh charge kicks in!
NorwichComputersAndy

Post by NorwichComputersAndy »

Sindidziwa wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:11 pm I've charged at Ionity points a couple of times (Leeds and Kent) and not been charged either time. I think that some of the chargers are free at the moment. Maybe to get people used to using them before the 69p/kWh charge kicks in!
Was this the Ionity at Maidstone services?
Rhevian

Post by Rhevian »

I have used Ionity chargers (at Baldock, and Boxworth near Cambridge) - on a couple of occasions they were giving free charge, but the last time I was at Boxworth I needed to use my card and used up some of my WeCharge credit.
Deleted User 192

Rhevian wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:56 pm I have used Ionity chargers (at Baldock, and Boxworth near Cambridge) - on a couple of occasions they were giving free charge, but the last time I was at Boxworth I needed to use my card and used up some of my WeCharge credit.

Does the charge show in the We Connect ID app, and with a cost so you know how much credit you’ve used?
Sindidziwa

Post by Sindidziwa »

NorwichComputersAndy wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:15 pm
Sindidziwa wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:11 pm I've charged at Ionity points a couple of times (Leeds and Kent) and not been charged either time. I think that some of the chargers are free at the moment. Maybe to get people used to using them before the 69p/kWh charge kicks in!
Was this the Ionity at Maidstone services?
Just at the exit to Leeds Castle
Rhevian

Post by Rhevian »

Replying to Scott - it shows the details of the charging session in the app (Sunday 1/11, 11:41 9kwh, 15min, £0.00) but I don’t see any indication of remaining credit, in the app.

I also had an invoice email on 1st Dec, which listed It as 9.89kwh, £2.47, discount -£2.47, and stated “there are still £497.53 in credit Available to you”
Deleted User 192

Rhevian wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:13 pm Replying to Scott - it shows the details of the charging session in the app (Sunday 1/11, 11:41 9kwh, 15min, £0.00) but I don’t see any indication of remaining credit, in the app.

I also had an invoice email on 1st Dec, which listed It as 9.89kwh, £2.47, discount -£2.47, and stated “there are still £497.53 in credit Available to you”

I guess I’ll get that invoice email at some point. I wonder if it’s monthly... 🤷‍♂️