High pitched noise?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
larsbloch

Post by larsbloch »

In Denmark my dealership have verified the noise and have confirmed that the car needs to be transported across the country to a VW main workshop. They are waiting for a confirmation and a date before it will be shipped/driven.
They have requested me to write down how and when i experience the noise.
It seems to be highest when you are using a little power. When stopped, or accelerating, or having ac on max it makes less, or no noise.
The noise is there at every speed level, but only when maintaining a steady speed.

Luckily they have acknowledge the sound. But the frequency makes my head hurt when driving longer trips on the highway. Even with the radio on.

ID31stDenmark

Post by ID31stDenmark »

Hi Lars

Great to hear. Would you mind posting the result of that service here. Mine has the same and I want to get it looked at.

Kind regards
larsbloch

Post by larsbloch »

Will do. I can give a short update.
It is due for the 13th of October. Apparently it doesnt need to be transported far as they have planned it to be taken to a nearby city for inspection. They will use some kind of listening equipment to figure out which component makes the pitched noise. Afterwards the dealership will fix the car dependant of the outcome.

I will report back by the end of October when i know more of the situation.
ID31stDenmark

Post by ID31stDenmark »

Thanks for the update Lars

What dealer does this 'listening test'? Just if my dealership needs to contact anyone for advice.

Kind regards
larsbloch

Post by larsbloch »

Apparently the car is going to an Audi Dealership in Fredericia Denmark. The company which imports the vw cars have rented som spots in their garage as they have equipment to handle electronic cars (high voltage batteries and listening equipment)
Apparently it is expensive equipment and it seems like its not a cheap thing to debug.

I will check back with news in 2 weeks time.
ID31stDenmark

Post by ID31stDenmark »

Any updates Lars?
2021ian

Post by 2021ian »

Hi Lars that is reassuring. I still have the same issue too and would be very keen to be able to share any recording, reports or outcome with my dealer.

Thanks
Ian
joeberg1

Post by joeberg1 »

Any updates on this issue? Did they find out which component made the noise?
larsbloch

Post by larsbloch »

Hello

And sorry for the long wait. I have been to the dealership many times to help "test" the car.
The car has been to this "listening" place where they place microphone to help find unwanted noise. The noise was somehow the engine. But between my car and another car which did not have the sound, only my car had the noise inside the cabin
They have replaced some parts with no luck. But today there was great news.

I dont know the exact solution. I have asked for an email with the explanation but they dont know if they are allowed to share it. I will with my very low understanding of cars try to retell what the engineer told me.
The electrical engineer fiddled with a ground plug on the highvoltage heater. I dont know if he removed it or replaced it. He told me that it could interfer and make some fluctuations in the electric system.

I will get my car tomorrow and i will share the official response if i am allowed to. Otherwise you can tell your mechanic or dealership to look at the ground plug on the high voltage heater.
ID31stDenmark

Post by ID31stDenmark »

Hi Lars

Thanks for the reply. What was the response from the dealer? Was it the ground plug?

Kind regards
larsbloch

Post by larsbloch »

Hi. It was a split on the ground plug on the high voltage heater. Somehow it makes som sort of fluctuations which makes the noise.

The technician simply removed the pin. It was not replaced or repaired. Simply removed.

I have added a photo to this reply

split.jpg

Last edited by larsbloch on Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joeberg1

Post by joeberg1 »

Hi Lars,

This is fantastic news! I have had an issue with this annoying noise and googled forever to find a solution. My dealership also gave up almost immediately.

Can you guys confirm that the noise you hear is the same as in the attached file? This file has isolated the noise from everything else.

http://www.sndup.net/kh8d

If so I will take my car to the dealership and ask them to replace the ground plug.
larsbloch

Post by larsbloch »

That is a very clear recording. I would think it was the same, but its hard to be 100% sure.

To add to my post, as i can see i wasnt making myself clear. The pin was removed and not replaced.
2021ian

Post by 2021ian »

Larsbloch - thanks very much for this information.

It seems very promising as I am convinced I have the same issue

Was it an easy job to do? Is it possible to do it yourself? Or did the dashboard have to come off?

I am not familiar with where the part is located!

If there are any other pieces of information or instructions that could help my dealer that would be great to have them.

Thanks
larsbloch

Post by larsbloch »

Hi Ian

I have no idea where the pin was located. It would seem that it would be hidden away somewhere as it is on the high voltage heater, maybe for the battery.
I asked the dealer if i could get more information or more pictures but i guess they dont want someone they dont know, talk about electric car repairs.

It could be fun to know if any other in this forum has had any luck with the same repair ?
MiniMine

Post by MiniMine »

Larsbloch and all others, thank you very much for sharing your experiences with the high-pitched noise in the ID.3. We suffer from the same symptoms and did quite some research to get well prepared for the workshop.
When we bought the car a year ago there was a very faint high pitched noise we ignored in the beginning and enjoyed the car. However, the noise became a little louder, and a little louder, to a level where we decided something has to be done.

Thanks to this forum we learned a lot about potential locations, reasons, etc.

So, we started by measuring, "What is the noise and whether can we locate the source within the car?" We used a USB microphone, a Windows laptop, and Visual Analyser for the sound analysis. It is quite distinctively measurable: a continuous noise of 9.000 Hz (9 kHz) from the front trunk area when the car moves, however silent at standstill.

Screenshot (43).png

With the same tool, we were able to confirm that the noise recorded by @joeberg1 has exactly the same frequency: 9 kHz. So our car is not the only victim and there might be more.

We visited the VW workshop this week and showed our research, measurements, and forum's suggestion for the split on the High Voltage Heater's ground plug. After two days of research our VW dealer in The Netherlands could not find the source of the noise, nor were they able to find the split pin. However, they did find a loose bolt and spacer on the heater and tightened that.

After receiving the car from the workshop, we couldn't detect the noise anymore, yeah :D. But... that was related to the environmental conditions, heatwave ;) The noise emission is related to the High Voltage Heater and if nothing has to be heated, our ID.3 is silent. Using the A/C, cooling it down significantly, waiting a bit, and warming up again: the noise is noticeable, but very very faint again.

The noise is only measurable when the car moves and the heater is active. When the car is Parked or Auto Hold, but still heating, no noise is emitted. So, our hypothesis is that something might be resonating at a frequency of 9 kHz when the car moves and the heater gets active. Would be great if anyone would know what could emit a 9 kHz resonating vibration.

We're not done, yet. But we hope that we can help other forum members with this additional information. Greetings from The Netherlands.
Icetuborg

Post by Icetuborg »

Hi Larsbloch and Minimine.

do you know where to search for the pin/split or the loose bolt/space on the heater.. Possible to see from the upside in the frunk or need to see from the below?

Other people have the same problem?
Icetuborg

Post by Icetuborg »

And is problem only related to when the air condition is on? Or all the time? I am facing the same problem, but on ID4
stefannl

Post by stefannl »

larsbloch wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:10 am Hi. It was a split on the ground plug on the high voltage heater. Somehow it makes som sort of fluctuations which makes the noise.

The technician simply removed the pin. It was not replaced or repaired. Simply removed.

I have added a photo to this reply
I also had a high pitch noise while driving and they removed the same part from the heater and the noise is gone! They also told me this is a known issue and VW has informed dealers on how to repair it.
stefannl

Post by stefannl »

Icetuborg wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:47 am Hi Larsbloch and Minimine.

do you know where to search for the pin/split or the loose bolt/space on the heater.. Possible to see from the upside in the frunk or need to see from the below?

Other people have the same problem?
They told me they needed to take out the entire dashboard and steering wheel to get to the part that needs to removed.