High pitched noise?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
ID31stDenmark

Post by ID31stDenmark »

I have the same.

Looking forward to the response you get from the dealer. I test-drove the ID.4 - That car does not have the high pitched sound.

Cheers

ID31stDenmark

Post by ID31stDenmark »

Any update on this Rob123?

Cheers
hungerdunger

Post by hungerdunger »

I was given a courtesy ID.3 for a couple of hours last week. On the first journey I made with it, I noticed a high pitched tone. It wasn't continuous - the best way I can describe it is that someone was sending a morse code message very slowly. Is that what other people are experiencing?

I made a mental note to monitor it on the return journey to the dealer, but forgot all about it and didn't notice it at all, so in this car's case at least it 's intermittent, although quite annoying when I could hear it.
ID.3 1st Edition - Manganese Grey - purchased 15/12/20.
bitmanEV

Post by bitmanEV »

Sounds much like the DC - AC inverter

You can possible hear the same sound with High Rapid chargers 150kW and up
SWMBO / NHS Nurse; Model 3 SR+ | White | Black Interior | AP
Me; MK1 LEAF 24 kWh | Black | Cream Interior | Possible upgrading to ID.3

Referrals Octopus; share.octopus.energy/cream-kiwi-443 Tesla; https://www.tesla.com/referral/elizabeth41441
larsbloch

Post by larsbloch »

@Rob123

Any update. Im thinking of driving past a dealer sometime soon. Any information about this problem is welcome
joeberg1

Post by joeberg1 »

Hi,

I had mine in to locate the problem. But only “youngish” people can actually hear the noise.

If you want to hear it clearly do the following:
- turn off all AC/climate
- put car in drive and have “auto hold” on
- have all music off
- slowly press the accelerator... then listen to the sound coming when you just pressed the pedal 1 cm

I do have a recording of the noise isolated. Then you can all hear it clearly. Just not sure how to share.
Higgy

Post by Higgy »

I have driven three ID3s (two test drives in a Max and Life, and my own Life) and noticed the high pitched noise in my Life test drive.

Must be a hardware issue that only affects some cars. It was definitely high pitched enough that older people might not hear it, but it was a VERY annoying continuous whine and I would be rejecting a car if it was making that sound constantly. Fortunately I knew from my first test drive that this was not normal, and (fingers crossed....) mine doesn't make this noise
joeberg1

Post by joeberg1 »

Sadly I think you will notice it in your new one as well. In process of elimination VW let me try three different ID3’s and they all had that noise.

Having said that I really do hope you get a car without it since that will give hope of them fixing it.

I will see if I can post a link to the isolated sound file of the noise.
2021ian

Post by 2021ian »

Hi I also have the same thing. Family pro performance registered Dec 2020, 3000miles on the clock. The night pitched whine is definitely not there in N or R and is worsened with AC on.

I am also going to attempt to get the dealer to look at it.

I would be interested in anyone else’s experience with the dealer and this issue. Thanks
joeberg1

Post by joeberg1 »

I had mine at the dealership and after checking the problem they said it was manufactured like that and nothing they could do. Let me know if you have any luck.
larsbloch

Post by larsbloch »

In Denmark my dealership have verified the noise and have confirmed that the car needs to be transported across the country to a VW main workshop. They are waiting for a confirmation and a date before it will be shipped/driven.
They have requested me to write down how and when i experience the noise.
It seems to be highest when you are using a little power. When stopped, or accelerating, or having ac on max it makes less, or no noise.
The noise is there at every speed level, but only when maintaining a steady speed.

Luckily they have acknowledge the sound. But the frequency makes my head hurt when driving longer trips on the highway. Even with the radio on.
ID31stDenmark

Post by ID31stDenmark »

Hi Lars

Great to hear. Would you mind posting the result of that service here. Mine has the same and I want to get it looked at.

Kind regards
larsbloch

Post by larsbloch »

Will do. I can give a short update.
It is due for the 13th of October. Apparently it doesnt need to be transported far as they have planned it to be taken to a nearby city for inspection. They will use some kind of listening equipment to figure out which component makes the pitched noise. Afterwards the dealership will fix the car dependant of the outcome.

I will report back by the end of October when i know more of the situation.
ID31stDenmark

Post by ID31stDenmark »

Thanks for the update Lars

What dealer does this 'listening test'? Just if my dealership needs to contact anyone for advice.

Kind regards
larsbloch

Post by larsbloch »

Apparently the car is going to an Audi Dealership in Fredericia Denmark. The company which imports the vw cars have rented som spots in their garage as they have equipment to handle electronic cars (high voltage batteries and listening equipment)
Apparently it is expensive equipment and it seems like its not a cheap thing to debug.

I will check back with news in 2 weeks time.
ID31stDenmark

Post by ID31stDenmark »

Any updates Lars?
2021ian

Post by 2021ian »

Hi Lars that is reassuring. I still have the same issue too and would be very keen to be able to share any recording, reports or outcome with my dealer.

Thanks
Ian
joeberg1

Post by joeberg1 »

Any updates on this issue? Did they find out which component made the noise?
larsbloch

Post by larsbloch »

Hello

And sorry for the long wait. I have been to the dealership many times to help "test" the car.
The car has been to this "listening" place where they place microphone to help find unwanted noise. The noise was somehow the engine. But between my car and another car which did not have the sound, only my car had the noise inside the cabin
They have replaced some parts with no luck. But today there was great news.

I dont know the exact solution. I have asked for an email with the explanation but they dont know if they are allowed to share it. I will with my very low understanding of cars try to retell what the engineer told me.
The electrical engineer fiddled with a ground plug on the highvoltage heater. I dont know if he removed it or replaced it. He told me that it could interfer and make some fluctuations in the electric system.

I will get my car tomorrow and i will share the official response if i am allowed to. Otherwise you can tell your mechanic or dealership to look at the ground plug on the high voltage heater.
ID31stDenmark

Post by ID31stDenmark »

Hi Lars

Thanks for the reply. What was the response from the dealer? Was it the ground plug?

Kind regards