Do you drive mostly in D or B

D
20%
B
80%

Total votes: 15

Coopear

Post by Coopear »

How do you drive your ID.3 and what which mode gives you the best economy?

For the first week I drove it in D but for the last three weeks I’ve been driving almost exclusively in B. I love the one pedal driving and I’m getting to the stage that I’m hardly using the brake pedal at all...it makes me wonder whether the pads/shoes will ever need replacing :)

I share the car with my wife and I’m struggling to get an accurate view on the difference in economy between D and B. I see the range record breaking drive in an ID3 https://www.volkswagenag.com/en/news/st ... rland.html by Felix Egolf (I can’t believe his surname!) was done mostly in D or even N(?) so he could coast, but I thought that the extra regen in B would make that mode more economical. Are we expected to switch between D and B on journeys to eek out the mileage? Or... will some of this intelligence be built into the eco mode as the sw improves??

How are other people getting on?

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

D makes more sense to me, letting the car coast when it can means less energy is needed bringing it back up to speed than if you were in B where the car would have slowed down regardless.

I did the opposite of you, coming from a diesel automatic I initially found the feel of B more natural, but left the car in D after the first half a dozen drives and haven’t gone back to B since.

I am used to D increasing the regen automatically when the car would need to slow anyway cos of traffic or a junction.
DAN142

Post by DAN142 »

I have a telemetry box fitted for my insurance and it scores me on "smooth driving" amongst other factors. My scores in B are rubbish!
Avalon

Post by Avalon »

B seems to be my default.

A
ID.3 1st Edition
hwhbev

Post by hwhbev »

Surely it’s possible to replicate the D-mode coasting by just not lifting your foot all the way off the ‘go’ pedal when in B.

Some argue that it’s better to coast in D than to Brake (regenerate) and then accelerate. I suggest that which is more efficient probably has little to do with whether it is in D or B but more to do with driving style.
OllyExeterID3

Post by OllyExeterID3 »

Coming from an i3, I found the B mode still too weak on regen. As most of my driving is done on single carriageway A roads in rural Devon, having the natural regen helps to temper the car around corners and, ironically, maintain steady speeds by moderating accelerator pressure. Still miss the strong regen on the i3 but slowly getting used to it. I think D is great when motorway driving, in particular sections with flat or downhill straights where you can make the most of coasting.