Changing to Alloys

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Matte100

Post by Matte100 »

scott28tt wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:00 pm
Matte100 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:08 pm Hi all, 1st post here as just about to order a new id3 Family. Dilemma is stick with the 18" steel wheels or upgrade to the 19" Andoya Black wheels. My question are why are VW supplying steel wheels as standard, i thought most manufacturers had alloys as standard? Is it an environmental thing? 18" steel will avoid the annoying kerbing which my wife is worried about but worried they may look a bit naff. Any thoughts welcome. Thanks

Cost and weight I believe.

I have the 19” Andoya wheels on my 1st edition, they really suit the car and the covers on the steels really don’t (in my opinion anyway)
Thanks Scott. I'm leaning towards the 19" Andoya's too. Strange that on the VW configurator, when you add the Black Andoya's it tries to remove the £3k grant from the configurator? It doesnt seem to do it with the Copper ones?! Strange

roadhawk

Post by roadhawk »

Matte100 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:08 pm Hi all, 1st post here as just about to order a new id3 Family. Dilemma is stick with the 18" steel wheels or upgrade to the 19" Andoya Black wheels. My question are why are VW supplying steel wheels as standard, i thought most manufacturers had alloys as standard? Is it an environmental thing? 18" steel will avoid the annoying kerbing which my wife is worried about but worried they may look a bit naff. Any thoughts welcome. Thanks
I also quite like the look of the 18" alloys — I forget their name. One thing I noticed when I first saw the car was the amount of rubber as I was initially concerned about ride quality, although am very happy with it. The 19" tyres have a 50% aspect ratio so quite tall with respect to the width, which I am finding helps, once or twice I have got close to a kerb and its only been rubber not alloy close. I too hate kerbing my wheels!
VW ID.3 1st Edition, Glacier White, Software version: 0363 aka 3.0 OTA
Split £100 with my Octopus energy referral code: https://share.octopus.energy/ochre-hare-348
Receive £8 referral credit each with Bonnet referral code RJ5M8 https://www.joinbonnet.com/
Matte100

Post by Matte100 »

roadhawk wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:18 am
I also quite like the look of the 18" alloys — I forget their name. One thing I noticed when I first saw the car was the amount of rubber as I was initially concerned about ride quality, although am very happy with it. The 19" tyres have a 50% aspect ratio so quite tall with respect to the width, which I am finding helps, once or twice I have got close to a kerb and its only been rubber not alloy close. I too hate kerbing my wheels!
That's useful to know roadhawk. Do you have the 19" Andoya's? If so that's decision made fro me as they look great and if they are harder to kerb due to amount of rubber then that's job done.
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

Personally I quite like the look of the steel wheels. But then I like the terracotta dashboard option...

I have the 19" alloys, and I've managed to kerb one of mine already, slightly. It was rather easy...
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot
Kaygee

Post by Kaygee »

The Andoya 19" look great on my Life model. When I ordered my car from upcoming stock in mid - December it was the only Life model available in the Makena Turquoise. I managed to do a deal for the wheels at £600, instead of the usual £1280. Not a bad deal.
ColinID3

Post by ColinID3 »

Matte100 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:08 pm Hi all, ........ My question are why are VW supplying steel wheels as standard, i thought most manufacturers had alloys as standard? Is it an environmental thing? ..........Thanks
Hi Matte
I believe the wheel trims on steels are designed for aerodynamic optimisation. I saw a lost of WLTP range data somewhere (can't find it right now) which showed a small increase in range (2miles I think) on this set up. On the Tesla model 3 some alloy wheel specs come with a flat wheel finisher for this reason
Life Pro performance, Makena, 19" Andoya, Heat-pump, Nov'20 build, 23/12/20 delivery. Now with 2.1
roadhawk

Post by roadhawk »

Matte100 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:19 am That's useful to know roadhawk. Do you have the 19" Andoya's? If so that's decision made fro me as they look great and if they are harder to kerb due to amount of rubber then that's job done.
Yes I have the 19" Andoya's and do like them.

IMG_9141.jpeg

VW ID.3 1st Edition, Glacier White, Software version: 0363 aka 3.0 OTA
Split £100 with my Octopus energy referral code: https://share.octopus.energy/ochre-hare-348
Receive £8 referral credit each with Bonnet referral code RJ5M8 https://www.joinbonnet.com/
Yorkie

Post by Yorkie »

We ordered ours yesterday (Delivery April/ May.) Family Pro in Glacier White along with the Black Andoya 19””. Saw another vehicle with them on during a clandestine (tier 4) visit Monday. Looked great. Steel wheels as standard are to keep costs down and increase profit.

Kev
Ear509

Post by Ear509 »

I am looking for cheap steel 18" with hubcaps, the standard ones in id3.
Please let me know if you have spare ones.
kts@radiologist.net
digital

Post by digital »

Glacier White Family with Loen alloys.

ID3_1.jpg

ID3 Family, Scale Silver, East Derry alloys.

Go to https://share.octopus.energy/amber-foal-811 to split £100 cashback with me from Octopus Energy.
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

Now I think that looks very cool indeed. Nicer than the 1st Edition alloys I reckon.
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot
GingerBob

Post by GingerBob »

Im interested in buying some steel wheels if anyone changes theirs for alloys.
ID3_EIRE

Post by ID3_EIRE »

Gingerbob what size alloys/style have you? I've steels in 18s
GingerBob

Post by GingerBob »

I have 18" steels but am looking for at least 2 for spares / winter
benid3

Post by benid3 »

GingerBob wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:51 pm Im interested in buying some steel wheels if anyone changes theirs for alloys.
We’ve actually just ordered a set of Loens for our ID3 so we will have our steel wheels and hubcaps for sale in a week or 2 if you’re still looking?
colonelpurple

Post by colonelpurple »

I thought the Andoya look amazing but eventually chose the east derry as they at 1" smaller, slightly more battery life, more comfortable ride and 95% ad good looking. Shocked at their aftermarket price !!! But glad I chose them now
--------------------------------
ID3 Life White Derrys 58kw Pro Performance

Click here to get £50 back if you join octopus energy:
http://share.octopus.energy/cyan-teal-674
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

colonelpurple wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:22 pm I thought the Andoya look amazing but eventually chose the east derry as they at 1" smaller, slightly more battery life, more comfortable ride and 95% ad good looking. Shocked at their aftermarket price !!! But glad I chose them now
Good thing about the East Derrys (apart from the price) is that the tyre side walls are tall enough for the missus not to scrape the alloys on a typical height kerb!
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
Wolfsburg

Post by Wolfsburg »

Wanted
ID3 STEEL WHEELS 18INCH FOR WINTER TYRES
benid3

Post by benid3 »

Wolfsburg wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 12:21 pm Wanted
ID3 STEEL WHEELS 18INCH FOR WINTER TYRES
We have a set of 4 for sale.
Wolfsburg

Post by Wolfsburg »