Sold my ID3

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Pullingteeth

Post by Pullingteeth »

Really enjoyed it , it was a good car , a fun and interesting drive but holding on to it felt like a financial mistake .
I lost a lot of money on it , but thought I’d lose more .
When I bought it in September ‘21 it seemed myself and the rest of the world and the motoring press thought differently about EV’s .
Government incentives,free parking , free charging, cheap charging.
Promises of improving infrastructure and low maintenance costs .
A lot of these perceived pluses have been eroded and the cost of maintenance outside of a manufacturers warranty worried me .
The press published articles almost daily about problems with ev’s.
Then my neighbours first edition told him to exit the car and call emergency services … they sent 3 engines, thermal imaging found no heat so it was a sensor , but his car is in a queue of 150 cars waiting for a new cell , the offending sensor was a £1400 part and it was just out of warranty, he has been told he may get it back in June ( it’s been gone nearly 2 months already )
I myself had a new cell under warranty, an eyewatering amount for a car that was 2 years old and 10k miles .
Servicing and updates took ages and were not especially cheap .
So I fancied a change back to ice ( seems a backward step ) and my vw supplier would do a part ex but not buy it back , even then the price was quite low .
I didn’t think a private buyer would be keen given the recent press so I used Motorway… it got sold at a few thousand under their estimate.
So , would I buy another EV ?
No,Not for a while , I’m not convinced it’s the future any more.I’m not sure the industry thinks it is too.
Vw, not from that dealer .
Do I miss it ?
A bit

phixion

Post by phixion »

I don't think I'd buy one right now, personally.

Lease on the other hand...
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS | Glacier White Metallic Flat Black | 19" Andoya Black Alloy Wheels | BP Pulse Home Charger
Pullingteeth

Post by Pullingteeth »

Mine was on a PCP first time for me , tbh it was easy to settle and the sale just about covered the residual.
It went from a car with a waiting list , we won’t buy that back sir
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

Pullingteeth wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:59 am Then my neighbours first edition told him to exit the car and call emergency services … they sent 3 engines, thermal imaging found no heat so it was a sensor , but his car is in a queue of 150 cars waiting for a new cell , the offending sensor was a £1400 part and it was just out of warranty, he has been told he may get it back in June ( it’s been gone nearly 2 months already )
This is the the sort of issue that put me off keeping my 1st Edition beyond the expiry of the main three years warranty.
I didn't necessarily expect to have any issues, but as no one had had their ID.3 much beyond three years and with the technology being all new I just didn't want to take the risk. And I also feared that if any issues did occur they might be very expensive to fix and take a lot of time to fix, as per your neighbours case.
Boattrainman

Post by Boattrainman »

Interesting story, and a sobering one, if the average motorist is being de-incentivised to stay with EVs, then something must be broken.

That said, I'm not a huge believer in a lot of the media based negativity around EV ownership, I'm always conscious of an agenda and also who is paying for certain types of coverage, esp from paid content providers. I'm very wary of the headline by such and such semi personality that starts 'Why I'm not buying an Electric Car' etc etc.

As stated in anothet post, I think the market has maxxed out, with most early adopters now in the game, but there is now a glut of unsold EVs holding back the trade-in market. Governments and regulatory bodies need to move to a Phase 2 approach, further grant aid, more on PV installations, and some innovative solutions to public charging, for example unusual locations instead of over-subscribed garage forecourts and shopping centres.

There's no solution to the issue of car out of warranty, except extend the warranty at your cost. I won't be doing this, its a risk I'm happy to take.

Rob
2021 Pro Performance Max
White with East Derry Alloys
Sherlock

Post by Sherlock »

Boattrainman wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:22 am There's no solution to the issue of car out of warranty, except extend the warranty at your cost. I won't be doing this, its a risk I'm happy to take.

Rob
I traded my 1st Edition in and got another brand new ID.3 with 3 years warranty. By the time that expires some ID.3s will have been around 6+ years and I will be able to make a more informed decision about the risks of keeping the car when out of warranty. I'm hoping there will be some cheaper alternatives by then too...

Both of my ID.3s have been on finance.
g320y

Post by g320y »

Out of interest does anyone know what the current price VW are asking for warranty extension at year 3?
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

g320y wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:54 pm Out of interest does anyone know what the current price VW are asking for warranty extension at year 3?
I’ve seen a thread on that on speakEV I think. It was reasonable (£300 ish) but it does seem to vary. You can get a quote within a month or two of your warranty expiring.
Pepet2

Post by Pepet2 »

I received an email from VW in November 2023 inviting me to purchase extended warranty cover for my 1st Edition ID3, as the 3 year manufacturers warranty expired on 11th December. It stated a preferential rate would apply if I purchased cover before 10th January 2024, which I did. See below.

Screenshot (1637).png

Mo1

Post by Mo1 »

That looks like an excellent deal :)
iD3 Tour 77kWh, White 73 Plate.
Octopus energy £50 referral https://share.octopus.energy/ashen-mule-519

Octopus Juice £5 referral https://electricjuice.octopus.energy/network/sign-up?referralCode=ashen-mule-519
Midgex

Post by Midgex »

Pullingteeth wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:59 am ...
I’m not convinced it’s the future any more.I’m not sure the industry thinks it is too.

This is the hottest February in recorded history. Probably the hottest for 50 000 years.

The industry shows signs of a struggle going on between people who have not retired or died yet, and want to carry on doing what they are used to, and good at, selling a few more ICEVs, and those who see the end of combustion coming up during their careers.

Assuming there is that much future.

Electric family vehicles may not be the future of transportation, but the age of Carbonaceous ICEVs is ending.
MattP

Post by MattP »

phixion wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:41 pm I don't think I'd buy one right now, personally.

Lease on the other hand...
100% - I lease, and would only for the short/ medium term.
Octopus referral

https://share.octopus.energy/plum-mouse-3910
Boattrainman

Post by Boattrainman »

Spot on Midgex, change comes at a cost, radical change will come at a radical cost, as someone involved in change manangement for 25 years it's clear that for many consumers they simply don't get that their lifestyle habits have to be altered to secure a future for our grandchildren.
2021 Pro Performance Max
White with East Derry Alloys
Alfiedog

Post by Alfiedog »

Hello All ...

First Post on here, just bought a 2022 id3 performance pro 2 weeks ago from stoneacre, sold my 6 year old Audi q3 quattro black edition s tronic on car wow .. got £600 more than the main dealer offered. Love the car, its still got 1 year vw warranty, still got one year of service plan on it and got a 3 year ev warranty from stoneacre as part of the deal, so I'm hopeful it will be covered for a few years. Car is driving great .. I work from home but calk into the office twice a week... lots of queuing in traffic, car regens really well got to work 1 mile more than I started with. All controls and info system working ok. So far so good and don't miss the 2lt petrol engine, I feel like I just waft around on electricity.. love the looks ... like the minimal design interior, not that keen on granny seats compared to the Audi:)

Oh ..just remembered... 2 niggles... when I put in reverse my passenger mirror does not dip ... even though I have set it to do it a few times ... aslo .. keyless central locking opens all doors ... not just the drivers door as I've also set up 2 times ... but the app turns all the heating on before I get in every time :)
DanWill

Post by DanWill »

Alfiedog wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:29 pm Hello All ...

First Post on here, just bought a 2022 id3 performance pro 2 weeks ago from stoneacre, sold my 6 year old Audi q3 quattro black edition s tronic on car wow .. got £600 more than the main dealer offered. Love the car, its still got 1 year vw warranty, still got one year of service plan on it and got a 3 year ev warranty from stoneacre as part of the deal, so I'm hopeful it will be covered for a few years. Car is driving great .. I work from home but calk into the office twice a week... lots of queuing in traffic, car regens really well got to work 1 mile more than I started with. All controls and info system working ok. So far so good and don't miss the 2lt petrol engine, I feel like I just waft around on electricity.. love the looks ... like the minimal design interior, not that keen on granny seats compared to the Audi:)

Oh ..just remembered... 2 niggles... when I put in reverse my passenger mirror does not dip ... even though I have set it to do it a few times ... aslo .. keyless central locking opens all doors ... not just the drivers door as I've also set up 2 times ... but the app turns all the heating on before I get in every time :)
For the mirror - you still have to flip the mirror switch on the door arm to left mirror. I know, right.
Alfiedog

Post by Alfiedog »

Cheers Danwill ... I'd have never worked that out :)
Gannet15

Post by Gannet15 »

I have a lot of sympathy with "pullingteeth".
Bought my iD3 Family in Sept 2021, a cancelled order, so 95%of what I wanted - no alloys.
I have really enjoyed owning the car, it suits my needs but I have to say that VW have been absolutely awful with their software.
My local garage have been very supportive but have been let down by VW. Booked my car in for 3.2 update in March 2023, earliest date available was July 2023.
Two days before update booking, local garage phoned to tell me "they had been advised by VW to stop doing 3.2 updates due to persistent failures. Book in to HV centre."
Booked in with HV centre and got date of 27th March 2024 for update which could take "up to 5 days including battery check.". Confirmed need for courtesy car as I lived some 25 miles away from centre and only transport home alternative was multi bus/train trip taking 4 or 5 hours. This need for courtesy car was confirmed twice, once two weeks before and second time some three days before by email.
Arrived at HV centre yesterday after 90 minute drive in rush hour to be told that all courtesy cars had been handed out and that I would have to find my own way home. When I questioned how I could do that I was met with a shrug of the shoulders - suspect this meant it was not his problem!
Refused to put car in and have yet another wait to get update.
VW have lost another customer and I will definitely advise anyone against buying either a VW or any of its associated companies.
NoddyNinja

Post by NoddyNinja »

g320y wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 12:54 pm Out of interest does anyone know what the current price VW are asking for warranty extension at year 3?
Just had quote of £241 from VW - 58kW pro performance on a 21 plate - 3yr warranty ends on 31st March - offer open until 30th April
durhamlad

Post by durhamlad »

My daughter has had her id.3 for over a year now, no issues, and I've had lots of opportunity to drive it so am looking forward to receiving my own, with 77kWh battery, later this month.
id.3 Family Pro Performance ordered 8/11/21, build week 17, then 23 then 40, then 45, then 50, then delivery expected in January, 2023, picked up the car on January 16th. Yay!
Order number 31316***