Dashcams: Current preferred dashcam please?

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Midgex

Post by Midgex »

What models of dashcam does the panel like?

the.kes

Post by the.kes »

Use a Thinkware Q800 Pro in both our electric cars, the ID3 is powered via the OBD plug as the one attempt at direct wiring via the fusebox failed to work. The OBD provides constant power so is good for parking monitoring.
Family Pro-Performance, Manganese Grey, East Derry alloys.
Commission 314710**
Ordered 16/09/2021
Collected 19/10/2022
SinglePointSafety

Post by SinglePointSafety »

Any of the recent NextBase ones - excellent video quality even in poor light, easy to set up.... they just....work
id3 Max 2021
TimF

Post by TimF »

My Nextbase 622GW + rear camera works fine.
Midgex

Post by Midgex »

SinglePointSafety wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:44 pm Any of the recent NextBase ones - excellent video quality even in poor light, easy to set up.... they just....work
Do the NextBase ones require a connection to the company server on the Internet to be used fully?
SinglePointSafety

I've never felt the need to connect my dashcams to the interweb or even my phone: if I want to store a video segment, I just remove the card and copy file to PC

If you watch any of the YouTube 'bad driving caught on dashcam' channels, you can get a very good idea of the all-important video quality
id3 Max 2021
Trisc64

Post by Trisc64 »

Since there's a front facing camera already built in, plus optional reverse camera, it shouldn't be beyond the wit of VW's engineers to split the video feed to a built in SD card reader
Midgex

Post by Midgex »

Trisc64 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:07 pm Since there's a front facing camera already built in, plus optional reverse camera, it shouldn't be beyond the wit of VW's engineers to split the video feed to a built in SD card reader
There may be differences from what one wants in a dashcam in the focus of the rear camera, which is for close work as well as looking down, and in the behaviour or settings of the sensor and electronics associated with it in the front camera - not something I know about.

There's USB built in, perhaps a USB drive plugged in would be the obvious place to dump footage to. I think that is how another manufacturer with lots of cameras around the vehicle does it.
Gannet15

Post by Gannet15 »

Personally, I would recommend a Nextbase product.
Some two years ago I had a Nextbase 312 camera fitted and came across a road incident where the police asked for video evidence.
I had video of incident, contacted police and showed detective video.
Nextbase had speed, latitude and longitude and other factors built in.
His reply was "You have got more info than our patrol cars!"
Enough said.
SinglePointSafety

Most of the submissions to the 'caught on dashcam'-type YouTube channels include info on each clip which identifies the dashcam make. Some of the submissions show video quality which is so poor - especially at night - that it would be virtually impossible to read a number plate, which makes them a bit worthless IMHO. The NextBase footage is invariably sharp and well-exposed, and as Gannet15 says, these cams record a **lot** of info which can be vital to prove or disprove guilt

I've used NextBase tech support once or twice and found them helpful and knowledgeable, another bonus
id3 Max 2021
eyedeethree

Post by eyedeethree »

I've fitted the FitcamX made specifically for the iD3 - Forward facing but it requires no wiring, no power wiring - look it up on google or better still youtube. In short, you unclip the housing under the rear view mirror and put that to one side - the camera comes ready installed in a new housing and you disconnect a plug in the mirror, the new housing comes with a piggy back cable - just plug in to that and roberts your dads brother. very neat finish which looks like itv was put there by vw plus no cables to route. I believe they do the same kit but with a rear camera but I decided against that as it would have involved wire routing etc which I was nervous about. Great images, an App to review and it does all the normal auto save in an accident - even came with a 64gb memory card. Cost £170 (when I bought it in Feb 24).
O/no 31540***
O/Date 6th Nov 2021
Midgex

Post by Midgex »

eyedeethree wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:51 pm I've fitted the FitcamX made specifically for the iD3 - Forward facing but it requires no wiring, no power wiring - look it up on google or better still youtube. In short, you unclip the housing under the rear view mirror and put that to one side - the camera comes ready installed in a new housing and you disconnect a plug in the mirror, the new housing comes with a piggy back cable - just plug in to that and roberts your dads brother. very neat finish which looks like itv was put there by vw plus no cables to route. I believe they do the same kit but with a rear camera but I decided against that as it would have involved wire routing etc which I was nervous about. Great images, an App to review and it does all the normal auto save in an accident - even came with a 64gb memory card. Cost £170 (when I bought it in Feb 24).
Sounds fun, but I have a 322GW 2 stops away.
Midgex

Post by Midgex »

Midgex wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:50 am
SinglePointSafety wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:44 pm Any of the recent NextBase ones - excellent video quality even in poor light, easy to set up.... they just....work
Do the NextBase ones require a connection to the company server on the Internet to be used fully?
Apparently the latest ones, the IQ series, do, it is a subscription model. I'm really quite against such things, not least since manufacturers have a tendency to go away leaving serviceable kit unsupported.

But the less recent and elaborate ones will work on their own.
Midgex

Post by Midgex »

Position of dashcam.
Where have ID.3 owners found it good to stick the front camera, please?
N21

Post by N21 »

Anyone installed a Nextbase IQ in their ID3?
Handydave

Post by Handydave »

eyedeethree wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:51 pm I've fitted the FitcamX made specifically for the iD3 - Forward facing but it requires no wiring, no power wiring - look it up on google or better still youtube. In short, you unclip the housing under the rear view mirror and put that to one side - the camera comes ready installed in a new housing and you disconnect a plug in the mirror, the new housing comes with a piggy back cable - just plug in to that and roberts your dads brother. very neat finish which looks like itv was put there by vw plus no cables to route. I believe they do the same kit but with a rear camera but I decided against that as it would have involved wire routing etc which I was nervous about. Great images, an App to review and it does all the normal auto save in an accident - even came with a 64gb memory card. Cost £170 (when I bought it in Feb 24).
Agree with this. Easy to fit, decent video quality, good app and it looks completely OEM.
ID.3 Family 58kWh Pro Performance 204PS | Makena Turquoise | East Derry Alloys
Delivered: May 2023
DumfriesDik

Post by DumfriesDik »

BUT no GPS. Or has that been added now?

How are people powering their dashcams? I see OBD port power is now popular.
Motability Customer
VW ID.3 Max
Midgex

Post by Midgex »

I've stuck it above and left of the mirror, just missing the area with the half-toning. Seems to work.
Tried plugging it in to one of the front USB-C sockets, works, the wire obviously needs to be repositioned.
Currently using the 12V socket in the boot with the supplied long cable. Ditto.
I have my eye on the fusebox in the left front.

The rear cam lead is tucked under the seal of the hatch, and I'll get on with tucking it under the headlining when I am sure about position and so on.

Post by 4810510 »

Any recommend an installer in the Glasgow area?
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

I can't say what the quality of these dash cams are, but they seem to be a great way of integrating the cam by utilising the wiper sensor for power:

https://fitcamx.com/collections/volkswa ... -id-4-id-6
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104