Regen braking misunderstood by reviewers

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

Most of the YouTube reviews of the ID.3 that I've watched (and I've watched most of them...) lead me to think the reviewers have misunderstood the regenerative braking system. They all mention D and B modes, but often state that D mode provides no regen braking while B mode provides moderate braking but not quite one pedal driving. Some even state that you'll have to use B mode to get the best range from the car because without it you won't be harvesting braking energy into the batteries.
In fact both D and B modes have regenerative braking enabled. In D mode, if you lift your foot off the accelerator, the car will coast, unless you're approaching a hazard with Front Assist enabled, when the car will gently decelerate using regenerative braking. If you put your foot on the brake pedal, the car will slow down, using regenerative braking only if it can, and only supplementing it with friction brakes if your pressure on the pedal demands more braking than the motor can provide.
The difference in B mode is that if you lift your foot from the pedal, the car will decelerate using regenerative braking. In order to come to a complete stop you do need to touch the brake pedal, so not true one pedal braking.
It's probably true that in most circumstances to get the best range from the car, use of D mode and advance reading of the road ahead combined with coasting will give the best range. There are losses associated with the conversion from electrical potential to kinetic energy and back again.
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Agreed.

B is great if you’re going downhill, in an area with speed bumps, or in stop/start traffic - otherwise I leave it in D.
Coopear

Post by Coopear »

I agree.
I started on D (because that’s what comes first when you twist the knob), then moved to B (thinking that would maximise regen), and now use both. I have noticed improved efficiency mixing them.