Heat and electrical stuff on when engine off

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
BFA

Post by BFA »

Hi,
I’m currently leasing a Corsa-e, I’m thinking to buy an ID3.
There is one thing about the Corsa that annoys me, could someone please confirm if it’s different in the ID3?

If I want to rest on the car for a while while parked and it’s cold outside, I cannot keep the heat on and use the other stuff without putting pressure on the 12V battery, the heat actually doesn’t even work, unless I turn the engine on, which, in this car, means to keep the positioning lights on (they don’t turn off if the engine is on) and I also have to keep pressing the engine on button every few minutes, it automatically turns off after a while.

To keep the car warm while parked, if someone doesn’t know that it is electric, it looks like I have the car idling, due to the lights, which doesn’t give a good image and is borderline legal on a petrol car, I had once even the police stopping by checking. And I can’t have even a nap, as you need to keep pressing the On button often.

How is is with the ID3?

Thank you,

Coopear

Post by Coopear »

You can run the heating to your heart’s content... with lights off.
roppenheimer

Post by roppenheimer »

It's wise to keep an eye on your 12v battery as it can become depleted and just driving the car isn't always enough to keep it topped up. I've started putting a 12v charger on it from time to time to make sure.
BFA

Post by BFA »

Thank you both for the feedback
Coopear

Post by Coopear »

roppenheimer wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:49 pm It's wise to keep an eye on your 12v battery as it can become depleted and just driving the car isn't always enough to keep it topped up. I've started putting a 12v charger on it from time to time to make sure.
I must admit I assumed the heating and peripherals would all be powered from the main battery and the 12volt did things like hazard lights and locks... Does anyone know for certain what the 12v battery powers?
hwhbev

Post by hwhbev »

Coopear wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:50 pm I must admit I assumed the heating and peripherals would all be powered from the main battery and the 12volt did things like hazard lights and locks... Does anyone know for certain what the 12v battery powers?

I believe it's everything except the drive motor. It is meant to be topped up when the car is being driven. I'm not sure if it is charged when the main battery is being charged – it is on other EVs.
Coopear

Post by Coopear »

hwhbev wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:52 pm
Coopear wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:50 pm I must admit I assumed the heating and peripherals would all be powered from the main battery and the 12volt did things like hazard lights and locks... Does anyone know for certain what the 12v battery powers?

I believe it's everything except the drive motor. It is meant to be topped up when the car is being driven. I'm not sure if it is charged when the main battery is being charged – it is on other EVs.

I’ve done a little googling and it would appear that the heating runs from the main high voltage battery. There’s some interesting info on the heat pump here too:
https://evflux.pro/id3-cooling-and-heating/
hwhbev

Post by hwhbev »

Coopear wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:49 pm
hwhbev wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:52 pm

I’ve done a little googling and it would appear that the heating runs from the main high voltage battery. There’s some interesting info on the heat pump here too:
https://evflux.pro/id3-cooling-and-heating/
I realised that after I'd posted :oops: . The heater/cooler is going to use a few hundred Watts of energy which is more than the 12v battery could handle. But lights, pumps, sensors, small motors, displays, etc. are probably borrowed from other VW cars and so these will all be designed for 12v. Interesting link, thanks.