Wheels

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Surtur18

Post by Surtur18 »

Hi all,
I'm considering buying an iD.3, but am really not impressed with any of the offered wheel choices, they're all downright ugly imo.
Has anyone fitted any other/aftermarket wheels?
On the VW online configurator the biggest choice is a 7.5j 20" with 215/45 tyres, anyone know if the 8j 20" wheel from the Arteon would fit? I asked my local dealer, and to say they were less than helpful would be an undetstatement πŸ˜‚

BevTowcester

Post by BevTowcester »

Hi
I am after a set of standard rims (18 inch) for my, yet to arrive, ID3, if anyone does change theirs and has spares.
I have ,on previous cars, had a set of winter tyres, and plan to do the same on my ID3. Two sets of rims makes this easy.
You need room to store the spare set and a certain mindset to make it work.
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

The ID.3 has large wheels and narrow tyres, resulting in low rolling resistance. Large wheels/tyres designed for conventional cars are likely to be low profile and fat, so unsuitable for the ID.3.

There are aftermarket wheels from VW Parts, specifically designed for the ID.3. For instance these:
https://www.volkswagenpartsuk.co.uk/par ... nt-silver/ which I think look very nice.
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot
BevTowcester

Post by BevTowcester »

Thanks HeidiFP For that link
Yes those β€˜Leon’ rims look good. In the scheme of things not expensive either.
Maybe use β€˜Leon’s’ as every day rims and use the std ones supplied for the winters.
Surtur18

Post by Surtur18 »

HeidiFlowerpot wrote: ↑Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:02 pm The ID.3 has large wheels and narrow tyres, resulting in low rolling resistance. Large wheels/tyres designed for conventional cars are likely to be low profile and fat, so unsuitable for the ID.3.

There are aftermarket wheels from VW Parts, specifically designed for the ID.3. For instance these:
https://www.volkswagenpartsuk.co.uk/par ... nt-silver/ which I think look very nice.
Cheers Heidi, will have a look on there.
Tho, i did see on an earlier post rumours of an R version, might just have to wait & save up for that...should have better wheels & seats i guess πŸ€”πŸ˜‚
Ians

Post by Ians »

You need to be very careful with alternative wheels. Not only do you have the obvious diameter, width and profile that you regularly see quoted which relate to the tyres but the wheels also have diameter, PCD and number of bolts, the centre hole diameter, width and very importantly the offset.
If you are looking for a set for winter tyres then best bet would be to find a set of ID3 steel wheels that someone has swapped for alloys.
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

Ians wrote: ↑Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:50 am You need to be very careful with alternative wheels. Not only do you have the obvious diameter, width and profile that you regularly see quoted which relate to the tyres but the wheels also have diameter, PCD and number of bolts, the centre hole diameter, width and very importantly the offset.
If you are looking for a set for winter tyres then best bet would be to find a set of ID3 steel wheels that someone has swapped for alloys.
The Loen 18" wheels I linked to earlier in this thread are VW parts specifically for the ID.3
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot
Emanuel

Post by Emanuel »

Surtur18 wrote: ↑Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:41 pm Hi all,
I'm considering buying an iD.3, but am really not impressed with any of the offered wheel choices, they're all downright ugly imo.
Has anyone fitted any other/aftermarket wheels?
On the VW online configurator the biggest choice is a 7.5j 20" with 215/45 tyres, anyone know if the 8j 20" wheel from the Arteon would fit? I asked my local dealer, and to say they were less than helpful would be an undetstatement πŸ˜‚
I have fitted after market wheels on mine, not for esthetics but for my winter tires. I have no idea what the margins are but I can say right away that the ID.3 has a very narrow turning circle, ie high steering angle. On my last car I fitted significantly larger wheels than standard, and it impeded my turning circle. I didn't worry about it because I owned the car outright and I knew exactly where it touched in close turns, but I would imagine that might happen with the ID.3 as well if you start going for wider sets and if you plan on leasing the car that might be something to at least be aware of. Now, as I mentioned, the turning circle is very narrow so naturally you can also help that by not turning the wheel 100% when you make narrow turns, if it does touch. Other than that, I see absolutely no reason there should be an issue assuming the bolt pattern matches.
pdk42

Post by pdk42 »

I think the Andoya wheels look very nice (and they are really easy to clean):

Surtur18

Post by Surtur18 »

pdk42 wrote: ↑Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:31 pm
I think the Andoya wheels look very nice (and they are really easy to clean):

Each to their own as the saying goes πŸ˜‰ i think there's a lot better looking out there...in the VW stable too

iris.jpeg

These are what i'm leaning towards atm, from the Arteon R-Line