v2.0 - still room for improvement

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
hwhbev

Post by hwhbev »

My ID.3 has just been updated to 2.0. It's a huge improvement but it still could be improved. While the car was in the dealership being updated I was loaned a brand new Golf. Its infotainment and dash systems are very polished and responsive. It is very similar to the ID.3 so was very familiar to me. They clearly share a lot of software so it seems very strange to me (as someone who worked in the IT industry) that the ID.3 fork of the software was so far behind when the ID.3 was launched and, with v2.0, is still catching up. I haven't had time to fully explore v2.0 yet but CarPlay was one thing I was looking forward to and it seems to be well implemented.

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Totally agree with the Golf comments - I had one as a loaner when my ID3 was in the workshop in November. I loved the customisation of the display behind the wheel and wish we had that in the ID3, as well as the core/basic functionality working as well as it did!
Jel

Post by Jel »

Lets hope that the ID3 gets to that level of software refinement
Nick Jan

Post by Nick Jan »

Interested to know how you managed to get dealer to do your 2.0 update? My dealer said they only update software at VW request, not customers!
Tbh, I'm staggered that the car has been delivered with software which is clearly far from complete or fully functioning. I'm also amazed that VW were still building and delivering ID3's with the original buggy software in Nov 2020, long after many s/w faults were widely known!
hwhbev

Post by hwhbev »

Nick Jan wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:00 pm Interested to know how you managed to get dealer to do your 2.0 update? My dealer said they only update software at VW request, not customers!
Tbh, I'm staggered that the car has been delivered with software which is clearly far from complete or fully functioning. I'm also amazed that VW were still building and delivering ID3's with the original buggy software in Nov 2020, long after many s/w faults were widely known!

I sent a list of the faults I had witnessed to VW UK and they passed them on to the dealer who called me to arrange a software update. They will only update to 2.0 if your vehicle has faults. None were critical (e.g. I had not experienced the dead 12v battery issue) but there had been a constant stream of seemingly random issues. The dealer told me that the car's memory "contained a log of many faults" (he implied there were a lot more than I had reported) and that v2.0 should fix them.

After the car had been updated the dealer called me to say that the car was ready except for one issue – the alarm kept going off. I told him to check that the boot was properly closed. A few minutes later he called to say that the boot had not been completely closed and that closing it fully had fixed the last remaining problem! I was glad to be able to help improve the knowledge of my local dealer. :D
Kryten

Post by Kryten »

I've got version 2.0 but can't see apple carplay or android auto. Still had some issues as well.
dem-id3

Post by dem-id3 »

Just a quick question what is the difference between V2.0 and 0783 Software as i am seeing two different post on this forum regarding Software
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

dem-id3 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:31 pm Just a quick question what is the difference between V2.0 and 0783 Software as i am seeing two different post on this forum regarding Software
Same thing - I assume V2.0 is the public release code (if widely available) and 0783 is the internal software build number.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
hwhbev

Post by hwhbev »

dem-id3 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:31 pm Just a quick question what is the difference between V2.0 and 0783 Software as i am seeing two different post on this forum regarding Software
I was told by the dealer that they installed v2.0. Checking the car’s system information it shows 0783. They are the same.
hwhbev

Post by hwhbev »

Kryten wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:35 pm I've got version 2.0 but can't see apple carplay or android auto. Still had some issues as well.
I couldn’t find it at first. The main menu screen has got a second page of icons. If you scroll down (swipe up), this is where I found the App-Connect icon through which I setup CarPlay.
HeidiFlowerpt Driver

Post by HeidiFlowerpt Driver »

hwhbev wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:54 pm
Kryten wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:35 pm I've got version 2.0 but can't see apple carplay or android auto. Still had some issues as well.
I couldn’t find it at first. The main menu screen has got a second page of icons. If you scroll down (swipe up), this is where I found the App-Connect icon through which I setup CarPlay.
The icons can be re-arranged so that those you use most frequently are on the first page.
ID.3 1st Edition Manganese Grey - called Heidi Flowerpot
sclrkuk

Post by sclrkuk »

Apologies if this has already been covered, this is my first post. I ordered my ID.3 at the weekend with an expected delivery of one month's time. Given that it's still being built, should I expect it to come with software 2.0 / 0783 or an older version? Thanks.
VW ID.3 Life
pdk42

Post by pdk42 »

sclrkuk wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:02 pm Apologies if this has already been covered, this is my first post. I ordered my ID.3 at the weekend with an expected delivery of one month's time. Given that it's still being built, should I expect it to come with software 2.0 / 0783 or an older version? Thanks.
Who knows? I would guess that it'll be 2.0, but I think you won't know until you get it!
pdk42

Post by pdk42 »

hwhbev wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:33 am I haven't had time to fully explore v2.0 yet but CarPlay was one thing I was looking forward to and it seems to be well implemented.
It does seem to work well, I agree. The only real fault I've found is that the CarPlay screen often doesn't get refreshed after another screen has been up (e.g. climate, reverse cam, assist etc). Easy enough to force a refresh by going to main menu and selecting Car Play again.
hwhbev

Post by hwhbev »

pdk42 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:48 pm The only real fault I've found is that the CarPlay screen often doesn't get refreshed after another screen has been up

I had noticed an occasional blank screen. I wonder whether that is one for Apple to fix or VW.....
Deleted User 192

sclrkuk wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:02 pm Apologies if this has already been covered, this is my first post. I ordered my ID.3 at the weekend with an expected delivery of one month's time. Given that it's still being built, should I expect it to come with software 2.0 / 0783 or an older version? Thanks.

Yes it should do, that version was being pre-installed at the factory from week 48 or 49 of 2020.
Deleted User 192

hwhbev wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:55 pm
pdk42 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:48 pm The only real fault I've found is that the CarPlay screen often doesn't get refreshed after another screen has been up

I had noticed an occasional blank screen. I wonder whether that is one for Apple to fix or VW.....

VW, it’s the same behaviour with Android Auto apparently.