Stationary Aircon (heat) only functions when charging

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Kryten

Post by Kryten »

I've got an ID3 life and am having the same problem. Spoke to VW customer services and they said it should work but needs latest software before they can investigate as that might fix it. It's in at my dealer for 2.1upgrade today. So will see if it works when I get it back.

wgibbons

Post by wgibbons »

Hi

Having the same problem here. We have the 2.1 software, but ours is the Style spec, so it has single zone climate control only...maybe you need dual zone for it to work?

Any way, for other owners with single zone, can you confirm:

does the stationary air con work on your ID3? When I click the button to 'start air con' when I turn the car off, the slider bounces back to 'off'. It seems to work fine when the car is plugged in, but I really want to get it working when the car isn't plugged in too.

Have you been able to start/stop the aircon using the app while the car is not plugged in?

And have you been able to remotely (plugged in or not) turn on heated steering wheel and seats?

When I try to set up the stationary aircon using the infotainment screen, I can see a top-down view of the car, and a 'set departure time' button. The button does nothing, and I thought that the top down view would allow me to programme the seats and steering wheel, but none of those parts of the screen react at all when I touch them.
phicb

Post by phicb »

We've just collected a brand new ID3 Family this afternoon and cannot get the AirCon working AT ALL!! Is there something that I'm missing, it all looks very simple on the control panel - but none of the fans spin up regardless of whether I'm driving or sat still.... will be making a phonecall to VW first thing tomorrow but surely this can't be normal?
stevieboy

Post by stevieboy »

In the Climate menu top left is an on/off icon. Turn it on
ID.3 Tour 77kWh Pro S 204PS | Stone washed Blue | 19" Andoya Black Alloy Wheels | Wallbox Home Charger
yummymummy11

Post by yummymummy11 »

I have a ID.3 Family collected at the beginning of June, my stat ac is working without being plugged in, to be fair it’s only being used to cool the car so far as it’s been warm since we took delivery. It might be a different story in the winter time with no heat pump 🥶
Bromsgroveuser

Post by Bromsgroveuser »

On my car it's weird ,the heating system is the only thing on the car where the switch is blue when it's off and grey when it's on everything else is blue on grey off, how weird is that
First Edition Pro Plus, Moonstone Grey,2.3, sold via motorway 09/07/22 at a profit!!!
New car Ioniq 5 Premium 72 kw
hungerdunger

Post by hungerdunger »

Yes, I've often wondered about that too. Completely illogical and unintuitive, as well as confusing for the new owner.
ID.3 1st Edition - Manganese Grey - purchased 15/12/20.
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

wgibbons wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:53 am Hi

Having the same problem here. We have the 2.1 software, but ours is the Style spec, so it has single zone climate control only...maybe you need dual zone for it to work?

Any way, for other owners with single zone, can you confirm:

does the stationary air con work on your ID3? When I click the button to 'start air con' when I turn the car off, the slider bounces back to 'off'. It seems to work fine when the car is plugged in, but I really want to get it working when the car isn't plugged in too.

Have you been able to start/stop the aircon using the app while the car is not plugged in?

And have you been able to remotely (plugged in or not) turn on heated steering wheel and seats?

When I try to set up the stationary aircon using the infotainment screen, I can see a top-down view of the car, and a 'set departure time' button. The button does nothing, and I thought that the top down view would allow me to programme the seats and steering wheel, but none of those parts of the screen react at all when I touch them.
There was a long thread on the ID.3 UK Facebook group which concluded that "Air condition now on leaving" worked unless the car was incorrectly configured - I assume the remote app functions won't work unless the "Air condition now on leaving" works - so a car setting rather than an App problem.

However, mine doesn't work in my ID.3 Business Pro with Heat Pump, do you have a heat pump?

My ID.3 spent 38 days at the dealer getting the 2.1 recall, then 5 days with the dealer trying to fix this and a number of faults. VW Technical told the dealer this feature was not part of the vehicle's specification and dealer returned car unfixed. I believe it should work and have seen no proof that this is not the case. So car is now back at dealer in Northallerton where they are checking it out prior to sending it to Newcastle EV Expertise Centre.

In the thread I have seen people say there is a setting to disable stationary air-con when on battery, but I certainly can't find it in Infotainment menus, so I guess it must be accessible via ODIS.

I now have a loan ID.3 1st edition and "Air condition now" just works, so I have to wait to see what happens to my ID.3.

It is a shame that VW don't appear to share information across dealers (people had the same issue and the dealer fixed it) or that the different departments in VW don't communicate with each other (Technical tells dealer I don't have the feature, Executive Office still have my call open and state they will do everything possible to enable dealer to solve my issues).
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
wgibbons

Post by wgibbons »

[/quote]
There was a long thread on the ID.3 UK Facebook group which concluded that "Air condition now on leaving" worked unless the car was incorrectly configured - I assume the remote app functions won't work unless the "Air condition now on leaving" works - so a car setting rather than an App problem.

However, mine doesn't work in my ID.3 Business Pro with Heat Pump, do you have a heat pump?

[/quote]

Interesting. I assume 'incorrectly configured' is something only a dealer can fix? I don't see anything in the settings that would appear to make any difference.

Ours is the Style spec (so it does not have dual zone or 'smart' a/c) and it does not have the heat pump. Does the Business spec have the smart a/c? I know the 1st edition does, and maybe that's what's making the difference?

I'd love to get to the bottom of whether it's a spec issue or a glitch in my car.
Kryten

Post by Kryten »

wgibbons wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:01 pm

[/quote]

Interesting. I assume 'incorrectly configured' is something only a dealer can fix? I don't see anything in the settings that would appear to make any difference.

Ours is the Style spec (so it does not have dual zone or 'smart' a/c) and it does not have the heat pump. Does the Business spec have the smart a/c? I know the 1st edition does, and maybe that's what's making the difference?

I'd love to get to the bottom of whether it's a spec issue or a glitch in my car.
[/quote]
It's not a spec issue as I've got a life courtesy car at the moment and it works fine on it.
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

simonrg wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:39 am
wgibbons wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:01 pm There was a long thread on the ID.3 UK Facebook group which concluded that "Air condition now on leaving" worked unless the car was incorrectly configured - I assume the remote app functions won't work unless the "Air condition now on leaving" works - so a car setting rather than an App problem.

I too can't find a setting that the driver can access to change things, but some Facebook users say there is but I can't find it. Another owner was told by weConnect support that an Infotainment software update is required, I have just told my dealer about this, so await to see if they can get such an update from VW. I did find the loan 1st Edition I have has 3 pages of options for Stationary Air Conditioning (under Settings), whereas my Business only has 1 page with 1 option, how many pages does your Style have? Both our cars have single zone a/c but I don't see why this should stop us having control of a/c, seats, etc.. in the app/stationary, so I hope this is just a sign of the same mis-configuration of the car.

From Facebook I have seen examples of people with Life, Business, Family, 1st .... who say this feature works, so it should work in both of our cars.

I too would love to get this fixed. I would not be happy to find it is a spec issue (Business plus heat pump) as far as I am concerned I purchased a car with stationary heating and not working unplugged makes the feature broken especially as heat pump means that heating only uses 2kW rather than 6kW without heat pump, so this would almost be a red line where car had been sold under false pretences, but hopefully it will work it is just painful / frustrating to get it to. VW Ireland were pushing voice control of heating in a number of YouTube videos, so once again as I purchased a car with heating and voice control, I expected to be able to do voice control of heating, didn't seem unreasonable, so I am still in discussions with VW over the fact that nowhere was it specified in advance that my car did not have this feature.

P.S. I see you are in Galway, nice part of the world, we are going to Donegal and Antrim in August, so I will discover what charging is like on the other side of the North Sea and even in Europe :-).
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
wgibbons

Post by wgibbons »

simonrg wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:51 pm
simonrg wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:39 am
wgibbons wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:01 pmr it's a spec issue or a glitch in my car.
I did find the loan 1st Edition I have has 3 pages of options for Stationary Air Conditioning (under Settings), whereas my Business only has 1 page with 1 option, how many pages does your Style have? Both our cars have single zone a/c but I don't see why this should stop us having control of a/c, seats, etc.. in the app/stationary, so I hope this is just a sign of the same mis-configuration of the car.

VW Ireland were pushing voice control of heating in a number of YouTube videos, so once again as I purchased a car with heating and voice control, I expected to be able to do voice control of heating, didn't seem unreasonable, so I am still in discussions with VW over the fact that nowhere was it specified in advance that my car did not have this feature.

P.S. I see you are in Galway, nice part of the world, we are going to Donegal and Antrim in August, so I will discover what charging is like on the other side of the North Sea and even in Europe :-).
Hi

We get one screen in the stationery a/c menu, and that only has one button in the top left. It looks like the “set departure time” on that screen is also a button, but it does nothing. I drove a 1st for the test drive and I remember that screen having around 4 buttons down the left hand side of the screen.

Hopefully it’s an easy fix with a software update. It was a selling point for us and it’s disappointing that it doesn’t work as promised.

The Style spec has the same system as the Business spec, by the sounds of it. We didn’t go for the heat pump though.

I wonder if the “smart” a/c should be in the Style and business spec too? If you can only get that with the dual zone system, then we’re in trouble. I think (and happy to be wrong) that the voice control for a/c needs the smart a/c functions. If that’s a configuration thing, we might get it. If it is a dual zone thing, nope. Although I suspect the dual zone thing is a software setting anyway; surely the hardware is already there?

Charging in Ireland is certainly improving. Way more options now that EasyGO has entered the market. Still not brilliant, but I don’t think you’ll get stuck. Have a look on the EasyGO app; it also shows the locations of the original ESB charge points too. I’m not familiar with the situation in Antrim, and the last time we went to Donegal we brought the ICE (now traded for the ID3).
wgibbons

Post by wgibbons »

Update:

After contacting VW Customer Service and the dealer, it seems that the static air con (and related remote control air con via the app) should work when unplugged on the car, regardless of spec. That's good news, in that it should be possible, and buying a lower spec car (with single zone aircon) is not the issue.

The car is booked in for a 'software' update (not the 'main' one to 2.1 because it already has that) this coming Thursday. I suspect it has something to do with a configuration setting that only the dealer can access, as someone mentioned earlier in this thread, rather than an actual update. He said he doesn't know how long it will take until he starts, but has offered a courtesy car overnight if it's going to take more than a few hours. So, looks promising.

I'll report here with more details after the visit to the dealer.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Put my airrcon on via the app at the start of a 10 min uphill walk back to the car from the seafront in Seaburn (Sunderland) on Saturday. Very refreshing! However, the car seemed to remember it when parked at home. Got out, locked up and the static aircon kicked in, although the app didn't indicate it was on. Has to turn it on in the app then turn it off in the app for it to physically turn off.
Cupra Born V2 e-boost 230ps Aurora Blue, replaced ID3 PP Family

Audi S3 - because I hate rapid charging for long distance driving.

Octopus referral: https://share.octopus.energy/lush-fawn-565
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

monkeyhanger wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:32 pm Put my airrcon on via the app at the start of a 10 min uphill walk back to the car from the seafront in Seaburn (Sunderland) on Saturday. Very refreshing! However, the car seemed to remember it when parked at home. Got out, locked up and the static aircon kicked in, although the app didn't indicate it was on. Has to turn it on in the app then turn it off in the app for it to physically turn off.
I've noticed this, but dismissed it as probably an operator error, but yes a couple of days ago had been out with the dog, cooled the car down prior to getting back in and then when it was sat on the drive the cooling continued and I had to (well I opted to use) use the phone app to stop it.

I notice that on the clima screen in car a lot of the options like 'Rapid cooling' have a timer function on them and it is possible that the timer was still running down on what was a very short drive back to home.
Kryten

Post by Kryten »

Update: just got my car back after having it's 2.1 update and pleased to say stationary Aircon and app work when car is not plugged in! Not sure why but as long as it works I'm not bothered.
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

Kryten wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:41 am Update: just got my car back after having it's 2.1 update and pleased to say stationary Aircon and app work when car is not plugged in! Not sure why but as long as it works I'm not bothered.
Pleased for you, what is your model and do you have heat pump?

To get boring, my car likes being at the dealers - 38 days for the 2.1 recall, then 5 days failing to correct stationary Aircon, now at dealers since Friday having another go at fixing this (5 days and counting). All with awareness / support of VW.

I think it is amazing that VW can make a car which sometimes they can fix and sometimes they can't, and VW don't seem to be too worried about this.

So, while if my car was fixed would not bother me, but I do wonder what fun this might lay in store for us all or at least some of us in future.
Kryten

Post by Kryten »

simonrg wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:48 pm
Kryten wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:41 am Update: just got my car back after having it's 2.1 update and pleased to say stationary Aircon and app work when car is not plugged in! Not sure why but as long as it works I'm not bothered.
Pleased for you, what is your model and do you have heat pump?

To get boring, my car likes being at the dealers - 38 days for the 2.1 recall, then 5 days failing to correct stationary Aircon, now at dealers since Friday having another go at fixing this (5 days and counting). All with awareness / support of VW.

I think it is amazing that VW can make a car which sometimes they can fix and sometimes they can't, and VW don't seem to be too worried about this.

So, while if my car was fixed would not bother me, but I do wonder what fun this might lay in store for us all or at least some of us in future.
Mine is a life without heat pump
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

:-) After only two stays with the dealer (21 days), my car's heating system functions as it is supposed to.
  • "Air Condition Now" works on leaving the car - whether plugged in or not plugged in.
  • App displays all the Air Conditioning functions now and they work whether plugged in or not plugged in.
It was finally fixed at the dealer group's EV expertise centre in an hour where the technician just knew what to do, he had seen the issue previously. The technician who had been trying to solve the problem had done all the right diagnostics, but VW Technical just kept telling him after each time waiting 3 days for a reply to do things that were unrelated to the solution, disappointing but at least it is finally fixed.
wgibbons

Post by wgibbons »

Update:

About 2 weeks ago my dealer attempted to fix the stationery air con issue (it wasn’t working unless the car was plugged in), but gave up after about 3 hours saying that the servers in Germany were acting up and he couldn’t get the download to work.

This morning he tried again and got an activation key very quickly. Not sure if it was a software “update” as such (still on 2.1), but all the correct buttons are now showing up on the menu for stationery air con, and the app is now able to remotely control the air con even when the car is not plugged in. So, anyone having this issue should talk to their dealer because it is fixable. Just ask them to check that everything is working at the German side before making a trip to the service centre, so you know you’re not wasting your time.