Dynamic electricity pricing compatible chargers

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
mez

Post by mez »

Apologies if this has been asked before but I could not find the answer - Am I right in thinking only the Ohme wall box is smart enough to control EV charging based on dynamic electricity pricing, like Octopus's Agile tariff? (aka dynamic Time-of-Use (TOU) electricity tariffs)

Many thanks.

sclrkuk

Post by sclrkuk »

Ohme also do a smart cable, which works with a non-smart charger. It's £199 for Octopus customers https://octopus.energy/ohme/
VW ID.3 Life
mez

Post by mez »

Great thanks - two options then so far - both from Ohme. Wonder if there are any others?

I am curious as I am currently shopping around for an EV charger, and with the increasing prevalence of renewables, especially wind and solar, it seems to me dynamic pricing is going to become the norm particularly for EV charging.
ID.3 150kW Life Pro Performance 62kWh, v0792, battleship grey.
I recommend Octopus Energy: Receive a £50 credit with this signup link: share.octopus.energy/shy-wasp-900
sclrkuk

Post by sclrkuk »

I'm currently on Octopus Go, which is 5.5p offpeak, but I was on Agile until it became significantly more expensive than their standard tariff. We definitely make savings in our house on the Go tariff and 2 x EVs.
VW ID.3 Life
mez

Post by mez »

That's very interesting - so Octopus Agile could be a bit of a white elephant.. :-)
I recommend Octopus Energy: Receive a £50 credit with this signup link: share.octopus.energy/shy-wasp-900
sclrkuk

Post by sclrkuk »

Well it is definitely worth looking into the various options. There is an Octopus Agile forum which has loads of info, and I think it has links to apps and websites where you can compare what you would pay on Agile vs the standard Octopus tariff.

Their Go tariff meets my needs better, but your experience and circumstance may differ.

Octopus' customer service is head and shoulders above any other energy supplier I've used before, but I realise that's off topic and not what you were asking about!
VW ID.3 Life
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Also ask Octopus about Go Faster - it's based on Go but is more flexible.

Go is a fixed price at fixed hours - 5p from 00:30-04:30 - whereas with Go Faster has 3 options:

3 hours @ 4.5p
4 hours @ 5p
5 hours @ 5.5p

All with various start times as early as 20:30 - they offer a limited number of slots at each start time.

So I have 5 hours from 20:30-01:30 at 5.5p.

This means I just plug my car in at 20:30 and leave it to get on with itself to whatever % I want knowing it will be done by 01:30 - no need for smart cables, chargers, or even timed charging :-)
sclrkuk

Post by sclrkuk »

I'm on Go Faster at the same times as you, but I heard they'd restricted it to by invitation only to existing Octopus customers. Worth a try though.
VW ID.3 Life
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

You do have to email them once you are a customer, I was dabbling with Agile for a couple of months while monitoring our typical usage (not just EV charging) and decided Go Faster would work better for us.
mez

Post by mez »

Great to know! Thanks for sharing. I will probably have a tinker with Go, Go faster and Agile over the next few months and see what transpires.
Ians

Post by Ians »

Have a look at Bulb's EV offering it might suit some better. Peak between 16.00 & 19.00 weekdays only all other times base rate.

You have to do your sums to work out whats best for your circumstances.
gwr

Post by gwr »

Worth checking the Zappi capabilities. MyEnergi (the manufacturer) see dynamic charging as a more important development than car-to-grid so they must be planning to link to providers.
gwr

ID3 Tech 2.3

N Scotland