Inclement weather VW ID3 queries prior to purchase, et al

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Vic Thompson

Post by Vic Thompson »

Hi there everyone. I'm a bit of a fraud really as I don't own an ID3 as of yet but am in the process of pulling quotes together as part of the process of considering my options in that direction.

I've previously owned two EV's, a Mitsubishi iMEV and a Vauxhall Ampera, and have been impressed with the "Electric Only Traction" experience. The Mitsubishi just about scraped up an 80 mile range on a Summers day, and 30 on a wet, rainy and cold winters day. The Ampera, 54 miles absolute max, 27 miles absolute min.

Based on my ownership of the above vehicles I'm familiar with weather conditions affecting EV range drastically due to Battery loading over that for Traction purposes alone (as well as problems due to the Battery being outside of it's optimum operating temperature range anyway).

My questions are : does the ID3 have a Battery pre conditioning system installed, ditto Cabin temperature. If so can I programme either/both of these facilities as available via the vehicle Dash Board or by using my LapTop (I am not a mobile Phone user).

In addition, does the (expensive) Heat Pump option add any real improvement to range in dismal driving conditions for the average user ?

What (if any) charging lead comes with the vehicle ?

Lastly, I read somewhere that VW were going to fit "Heated Front Windscreens" to the ID3, has that been the case ?

Thanks in advance for all useful input to my query, but for the $$$$ I might be about to spend I'd appreciate your help in my achieving a good range for my investment .

lastly, apologies if all of these questions have already been answered previously on this same Forum, and in addition, I could have raised them with my local dealership, but IMHO, ownership input beats all other.

Thanks, Vic Thompson.

simonrg

Post by simonrg »

Vic Thompson wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:17 pm ....

lastly, apologies if all of these questions have already been answered previously on this same Forum, and in addition, I could have raised them with my local dealership, but IMHO, ownership input beats all other.

Great you are considering an ID.3, overall opinion is probably to wait until April when the software will be market ready - in the meantime put some of the keywords you are interested into the forum search to find everybody's practical experience and make your own judgement.

My knowledge (opinion):
Winter range for single journey 120 - 180 - depends on speed, temperature etc..
App lets you pre-condition the car making it toasty when you get in, it is not obvious that the battery is pre-conditioned by the current software, battery charge is used to heat battery when you start driving, big hit for short journeys less so for long journeys.
I believe currently all the remote functions are only available via an IoS or Android app, not by website.
Heat Pump jury is out as the software currently doesn't appear to use it correctly.
Comes with a Type 2 charging cable, if you want a 3pin charger the dealer may well be persuaded to give you one FoC./
Not sure about "Heated Front Windscreens" have a look in the brochure, but it does clear very quickly / effectively compared to my Toyota Arus

Also a good looks at forums on Facebook and speakev for other opinions / knowledge about the ID.3.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
stu-evs

Post by stu-evs »

I would say that if you can insist on your car having version 2.0 software installed at point of delivery (which it would be anyway if you're placing a new factory order - in fact you'd likely get 2.1) - then there is no need to wait. The difference in the first version of software vs. 2.0 is night and day (at least when it's been applied properly along with the other required module updates). No complaints here at all on v2.0 - everything works as expected - including all the pre-heat functions and remote heating 'on demand' via app etc.
ID.3 1st Edition

Octopus referral code (get £50 when you switch to Octopus): share.octopus.energy/pale-hare-366
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

stu-evs wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:13 pm I would say that if you can insist on your car having version 2.0 software installed at point of delivery (which it would be anyway if you're placing a new factory order - in fact you'd likely get 2.1) - then there is no need to wait. The difference in the first version of software vs. 2.0 is night and day (at least when it's been applied properly along with the other required module updates). No complaints here at all on v2.0 - everything works as expected - including all the pre-heat functions and remote heating 'on demand' via app etc.
Do you get pre-conditioning (heating) of the battery with 2.0?
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
stu-evs

Post by stu-evs »

simonrg wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:18 pm
stu-evs wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:13 pm I would say that if you can insist on your car having version 2.0 software installed at point of delivery (which it would be anyway if you're placing a new factory order - in fact you'd likely get 2.1) - then there is no need to wait. The difference in the first version of software vs. 2.0 is night and day (at least when it's been applied properly along with the other required module updates). No complaints here at all on v2.0 - everything works as expected - including all the pre-heat functions and remote heating 'on demand' via app etc.
I believe so, yes, looking at the current it’s pulling it’s doing more than just heating the cabin....I believe it’s fully automatic based on ambient/battery temp (I.e. activates as required)
ID.3 1st Edition

Octopus referral code (get £50 when you switch to Octopus): share.octopus.energy/pale-hare-366
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

stu-evs wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:56 pm
simonrg wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:18 pm
I believe so, yes, looking at the current it’s pulling it’s doing more than just heating the cabin....I believe it’s fully automatic based on ambient/battery temp (I.e. activates as required)
Great get it now with 2.0 :D
I have mine but no 2.0 yet :(