Type 1 charging unit adapter cable availability

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Vic Thompson

Post by Vic Thompson »

I'm asking this question here in the hope that others reading this posting might know the answer to my question : my Wall Charging was last used for charging an Ampera that I had until a couple of years ago and it's not compatible with the ID3. Are there cables available that will plug into the charging end of the tethered cable and allow me to use the same charger to top up the ID3 ? I can find an adapter to do the job but it appears to add bulk to the charging connector and the combination might obstruct the access path past the car to my front door.

All help appreciated.

Thanks, Vic Thompson.

hwhbev

Post by hwhbev »

Is this https://evonestop.co.uk/products/type-1 ... mp-1-metre what you’re looking for?

Alternatively find a competent electrician to replace the type 1 connector with a type 2 connector, available from the same store.
Ay_Gee

Post by Ay_Gee »

I've been through this exercise with my change from Nissan Leaf to ID3. I bought an adapter which works fine with my wife's Peugeot e208 but did not work with the VW! Most sellers of the adapters do not that they don't work with BMW cars and being a German manufacture it's not surprising that it fails with the VW as well. My solution was to replace the whole charge lead for a type 2 one. Whilst it will be best done by a qualified and approved installer (not least to protect any warranty on the charger) it's not a big job if like me your charger is over 4 years old! How this helps and sadness you the expense of buying an adapter that proves not to work.