Wifi on 0783 software

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
id73

Post by id73 »

Hi All

Finally got car back from dealer after doing 0783 software update. Wifi seems to be enabled now, however when I select my home wifi network and I enter password it tries to connect but eventually gives up and fails.

Just curious if others on latest software 0783 have successfully been able to get car to join home wifi network, or is this still reserved for ME 2.1?

Thanks

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Yes, it worked first time.
id73

Post by id73 »

Ok, so im now able to connect to my home wifi. No idea why it now works and didnt before.
Question is what additional functionality do you get by connecting to your home wifi network that you dont get with usings the car's inbuilt esim on 4g?
Deleted User 192

It can be used for over the air updates after they have been enabled by the 2.1 software.

I’m hopeful that app to car communication will also use it as my car is parked in a spot where the WiFi signal is better than that of the eSIM - I’ve not read or heard anything to suggest it will, but it would make sense to me at least if it did!
RDR

Post by RDR »

I thought that too however checking my router when the car is asleep I can’t see it on the network so it seems only the 4g module is kept awake.
stu-evs

Post by stu-evs »

I think the wifi functionality is intended more so that you can link the car to a mobile hotspot on your phone to provide media/streaming services ‘on the go’....

And/or for people that have no 4g connectivity where they live it gives an ability to be connected when doing car setup on the drive/in the garage etc.

Can’t see any other real advantage of linking it to home if it’s got a 4g signal at home anyway - and the vast majority of functions are serviced by the 4g connection....?
ID.3 1st Edition

Octopus referral code (get £50 when you switch to Octopus): share.octopus.energy/pale-hare-366
Deleted User 192

stu-evs wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:21 am I think the wifi functionality is intended more so that you can link the car to a mobile hotspot on your phone to provide media/streaming services ‘on the go’....

And/or for people that have no 4g connectivity where they live it gives an ability to be connected when doing car setup on the drive/in the garage etc.

Can’t see any other real advantage of linking it to home if it’s got a 4g signal at home anyway - and the vast majority of functions are serviced by the 4g connection....?
I was hoping it would work like my phone, using WiFi when it can and 4G when it can’t.

Your hotspot theory makes sense, seeing as the car can also act as one for other WiFi-only devices you have in the car.
G4XUR

Post by G4XUR »

Mine went into dealer on Wednesday 27 Jan, got temporary vehicle a week later and told not to expect any news for a few more weeks.
Listening to the techs frustration with rebooting their systems many times a day to be able to perform vehicle software updates indicates VW have skimped on their Tech training and more so on rollout support preparation for the ID3. I remain optimistic but very surprised with VW and their consequential loss of reliability at this stage. Hopefully they will identify the need to redress customer confidence somehow.
Deleted User 192

The dealer techs have had to do their training online due to COVID, when they would usually go to Milton Keynes and be taught in person - so a complex brand new vehicle and compromised training with no hands-on.
G4XUR

Post by G4XUR »

Anyone know the "number" for the new v2.1 software, out soon!!
Deleted User 192

Erm, for now it is just “2.1” - seeing as there isn’t a single vehicle out in the wild or the factory which has it installed I guess that’s as much as anyone of us knows...
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

I guess we open a book on the revision number.
As the fix to 0564 was 0570, and v2.0 is 0783, I am guessing that v2.1 will be 0789 - in which case v2.1 is largely a bug fix of v2.0 plus OTA.
I would like to be wrong and for v2.1 to be greater than 1000, as that would give enough revisions to allow most of the remaining bugs to have been ironed out after 0783.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire