Over-the-air updates happening!

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
digital

Post by digital »

Reports and images on Facebook today of over-the-air updates happening!
ID3 Family, Scale Silver, East Derry alloys.

Go to https://share.octopus.energy/amber-foal-811 to split £100 cashback with me from Octopus Energy.

Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Nothing to get too excited about...

After reading about it, I've just been out to my car and it offered me the update:

Digital Manual

• Small improvements
  • Error preventions

I'm taking that to mean it was just the in-car Help section that got updated - there's no difference in the various versions reported in the main Settings menu. It didn't take long to do, maybe 30 seconds - no idea if it used the 4G or wifi to pull the data down.
ColinID3

Post by ColinID3 »

Mine did it too but completely passively, I didn't need to 'accept' anything.

Must have been 4g because its not connected to WiFi!
Life Pro performance, Makena, 19" Andoya, Heat-pump, Nov'20 build, 23/12/20 delivery. Now with 2.1
Deleted User 192

ColinID3 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:07 am Must have been 4g because its not connected to WiFi!

What is unknown at the moment is if it will use wifi if connected and 4G if not - like a phone does.

Mine was connected to wifi at the time.
id73

Post by id73 »

Does the ID3 stay permanently connected to wifi until you drive away? I parked my car up, switched it to wifi then a few hours later checked on my network scanner and it had disappeared off the network. Also I couldn’t even warm up the car this morning on the weconnectid app, when previously it used to work. Beginning to loose patience with VW flaky software!
Deleted User 192

id73 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:22 am Does the ID3 stay permanently connected to wifi until you drive away? I parked my car up, switched it to wifi then a few hours later checked on my network scanner and it had disappeared off the network. Also I couldn’t even warm up the car this morning on the weconnectid app, when previously it used to work. Beginning to loose patience with VW flaky software!

Apparently not - you're not the first to say it dropped off their network when the car went to sleep.

The app functionality depends on app > VW server in the cloud > car communications rather than being app > car and is too hit and miss at the moment.
pdk42

Post by pdk42 »

Tesla cars disconnect from the mothership when they sleep, but if you try to do something from the app, the server sends an SMS message to the car to wake it up. Neat solution!
id73

Post by id73 »

Any idea how to identify the ID3 on your home wifi network?
Does it appear with an obvious name like VW ID3 or do you need to somehow find the MAC address of the car and search for its MAC address on your wifi network?