Incorrect Speed Exceeded notifications

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
mez

Post by mez »

I don’t think my ID3 can count. While driving below the speed limit it displays the message every few minutes “speed exceeded”. Like when I’m consistently doing 22mph in a 30 (due to mud, walkers, dogs, joggers, with no pavement- before you ask!). Why is this??

18EC61EF-7A30-4DEC-9495-58F41DF019B8.jpeg

ID.3 150kW Life Pro Performance 62kWh, v0792, battleship grey.
I recommend Octopus Energy: Receive a £50 credit with this signup link: share.octopus.energy/shy-wasp-900

simonrg

Post by simonrg »

This the kph to mph error that is present in all the current software (0563, 0570 and 0783), basically anything over 19mph (30kph) will give you a warning in 30mph speed limit areas.
In my mind this is a serious safety issue, as it makes the ID.3 less safe than my previous Toyota Auris which would tell me off for going over speed limits correctly in mph.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
roadhawk

Post by roadhawk »

It seems they could not have tested the RHD cars in the UK. I noticed this pretty much on the very first drive in September. Odd how they still have not fixed it.

In other VAG models I think it used to default to off — they need to look at their software setup and consider adding feature toggles, at least then they could switch the feature off for the UK until they correct it...
VW ID.3 1st Edition, Glacier White, Software version: 0363 aka 3.0 OTA
Split £100 with my Octopus energy referral code: https://share.octopus.energy/ochre-hare-348
Receive £8 referral credit each with Bonnet referral code RJ5M8 https://www.joinbonnet.com/
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

VW (at the factory) are aware of the issue but don’t currently have a fix available, til then just keep it turned off in the Assist menu.
stu-evs

Post by stu-evs »

roadhawk wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:20 am It seems they could not have tested the RHD cars in the UK. I noticed this pretty much on the very first drive in September. Odd how they still have not fixed it.

In other VAG models I think it used to default to off — they need to look at their software setup and consider adding feature toggles, at least then they could switch the feature off for the UK until they correct it...
You can turn this off. It is not linked to any other features so it’s easy to disable the speed warning without impacting any of the ACC connected features (which all work perfectly and are not affected by this issue). VW are aware of the issue and I expect it fixed in an upcoming software drop.

Go in to the driver assistance section as said above and you’ll find the switch for just this speed limit warning.

Hardly a safety feature either - it’s a convenience feature.

This is the only issue remaining, from a software perspective, on my 2.0 software install - so I say that’s pretty damn good for a new vehicle to be so well set up that close to release (compared to other recent experience with another manufacturer). With this feature turned off for the time being everything else works perfectly...
ID.3 1st Edition

Octopus referral code (get £50 when you switch to Octopus): share.octopus.energy/pale-hare-366
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

I would be asking why this feature can work perfectly in many other cars, but not the iD3. You would have thought that the module used was the same as that in other VAG cars.
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
stu-evs

Post by stu-evs »

gailjon wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:21 am I would be asking why this feature can work perfectly in many other cars, but not the iD3. You would have thought that the module used was the same as that in other VAG cars.
It’s not the same.... the ID.3 is the first VAG vehicle produced not just on an entirely new platform - but with an entirely new integrated systems architecture. They’re now using one primary cpu + 2 sub-cpus as I understand it.....rather than lots of separate ecu’s for each component.

It’s a big departure for VAG from all the development over previous platform generations - hence my comment that I’m actually super impressed with how soon after release they have it almost entirely sorted. Still not the case on my other vehicle 2yrs+ after release...
Last edited by stu-evs on Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
ID.3 1st Edition

Octopus referral code (get £50 when you switch to Octopus): share.octopus.energy/pale-hare-366
mez

Post by mez »

Cheers all. Have disabled the feature for now. Interesting that my VW dealer told me last week there are "definitely no s/w updates due" for my v0564 ID.3 Life... That can't be right can it?!?
ID.3 150kW Life Pro Performance 62kWh, v0792, battleship grey.
I recommend Octopus Energy: Receive a £50 credit with this signup link: share.octopus.energy/shy-wasp-900
hwhbev

Post by hwhbev »

Does anyone know if the other mph/kph confusion issue is still there in 0783? The one where using the ACC when leaving a 30mph zone into a 40mph zone, the car slows down to 25mph (40kph). It was intermittent when my car was on 0563 and I haven't driven it enough since the upgrade to know whether this bug still persists.

Here's a thought. :idea:
I am wondering whether the fact that it was intermittent is a satnav vs road sign recognition issue. Maybe road sign recognition interprets the speed correctly as mph whereas using satnav it assumes kph. I believe the speed-exceeded notifications rely on satnav info because I can leave my house without passing a speed sign and it will alert me (if I had it switched on) that I had exceeded the kph equivalent speed limit.
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

0783 still has the mph / kph issue.
I experienced it on a stretch of derestricted road, where the car recognised the national speed limits applied, but decided it was a dual carriageway, displayed 70mph on driver console and accelerated to 70mph, car then realised the road was not a dual carriageway, displayed 60mph on the driver console, breaking forcefully and then slow down to 40mph, on breaking and pressing reset on the ACC car accelerated to 60mph.
So there appear to be multiple inter-related issues.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire