Lane Departure Warning

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
RichH

Post by RichH »

I realise this is going to be an issue on all new cars because of EU regs, but the convoluted process to turn off lane departure warning in the ID3 (every time the car is started) has the potential to drive me nuts. Having tested a Lexus with this feature, I couldn’t t believe how intrusive it was.
I really like the ID3 it wonder how current users find this feature on a day to day basis?
Thanks
Richard

simonrg

Post by simonrg »

RichH wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:50 pm I realise this is going to be an issue on all new cars because of EU regs, but the convoluted process to turn off lane departure warning in the ID3 (every time the car is started) has the potential to drive me nuts. Having tested a Lexus with this feature, I couldn’t t believe how intrusive it was.
I really like the ID3 it wonder how current users find this feature on a day to day basis?
Thanks
Richard
I find it helpful, it takes a little bit of getting used to and then I zone it out in normal driving.
When it seems to be overzealous I guess I go through the process of analysing what it thinks it is doing, so more interesting than annoying.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
hungerdunger

Post by hungerdunger »

A lot of the driving I do is on local B roads, where often it's virtually impossible to stop it from warning about getting too close to the centre. I've finally got in the habit of turning it off at the start of each journey, but it's also annoying that if I get out of the car (e.g. to post a letter) the car now thinks I'm on a new trip and I have to turn it off again.
ID.3 1st Edition - Manganese Grey - purchased 15/12/20.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

I understand having to disable it every time was part of the car getting the latest NCAP 5* rating.

In terms of use, I don’t have to do too much B road type of driving, so it’s not too intrusive for me and I leave it switched on.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

The first time I drove my Tiguan to work I didn't know what was happening.. There's a long straight piece of back road on the way with a chicane half way down it.. all very clear and visible so pretty much everyone straight lines it unless there's another vehicle coming.. I did the usual and suddenly the steering wheel was kicking in my hands and I thought trying to steer me into a hedge.. nearly had a heart attack. I can see me getting used to turning it off.
OllyExeterID3

Post by OllyExeterID3 »

In the ID3, it has been a little annoying but only on some of the really tricky, narrow roads and not so much on A roads. One route here has poorly maintained markings and a muddy verge and it pretty much tries to yank the steering out of my hand for a good 2 mile section - if I held the line the car wanted me to drive in, I would end up driving head on into a verge or ditch! I think it gets confused not just by the faint road markings but the proximity of oncoming traffic on roads of variable width - which I suppose are not so much of an issue in other northern European countries perhaps? I saw Bjorn Nyland do a video from Norway with similar issues so perhaps it is common elsewhere too?
gwr

Post by gwr »

We have quite a few single track roads around us so this is going to be interesting. Car allegedly at the dealer's but not date for collection yet.
gwr

ID3 Tech 2.3

N Scotland
simonrg

Post by simonrg »

gwr wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:16 pm We have quite a few single track roads around us so this is going to be interesting. Car allegedly at the dealer's but not date for collection yet.
I am on the edge of the North York Moors, so all single track roads in one direction
So on many journeys I feel the car gently trying to do something, but I think I am now expecting it so I just carry on and the car gives up trying fairly quickly.
In general features of the car such a the B regenerative mode, adaptive cruise control at low speeds, smart headlights make driving around here great fun, even in the snow.
So hope you have an interesting time (in a nice way) with your new car.
ID.3 Business Pro Performance + Heat Pump - 0564 (23/12/20) - 0783 (28/1/21) - 0792 (7/5/21) - 0910 (24/10/21) - 3.2 (6/7/23) - Hardware H20 - North Yorkshire
M100

Post by M100 »

As mine only comes on when you approach 40 mph I have found it less intrusive than when it operated at all speeds, as mine did initially. Not a problem now.
Deleted User 192

Yes they apparently changed it with an update so it isn’t active below 30mph - amazing that it works given how other functions of the car can’t understand the difference between mph and kmh
digital

Post by digital »

scott28tt wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:29 am Yes they apparently changed it with an update so it isn’t active below 30mph - amazing that it works given how other functions of the car can’t understand the difference between mph and kmh
Thanks for that, I had wondered why I wasn't seeing it! I wonder if they've also changed the roundabout/junction slowing in the same way as I'm not seeing that on roads in town either.
ID3 Family, Scale Silver, East Derry alloys.

Go to https://share.octopus.energy/amber-foal-811 to split £100 cashback with me from Octopus Energy.
Deleted User 192

digital wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:54 amI wonder if they've also changed the roundabout/junction slowing in the same way as I'm not seeing that on roads in town either.

I’ve not seen any difference in behaviour through the various versions/updates I’ve had on mine.