Setting ID3 for reduced charge power

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Jono

Post by Jono »

At the moment, I’m restricted to 3.5KW charging as my circuit needs upgrading. I’d assumed this wouldn’t be a problem as I’d still get a decent range over night.

At 3.5KW I should have easily achieved 150miles+ in 14 hours

How wrong I was.

Firstly, if you switch the ID3 to lower charge current, it seems to drop from 7.2KW, to under 1KW, or around 6 miles per hour of charge. Every other EV I’ve encountered drops to around 3.5 or gives you options

To compound the problem, I’ve now been told not to leave the ID3 plugged in for more than 8 hours, otherwise I’ll get problems - I’ve encountered 3 so far.

The net result - I can add the grand total of 48 miles each time I charge

Seriously considering handing the car back.

Daveion

Post by Daveion »

That doesn't sound right.
Even a 3 pin granny charger can deliver 2.3 kw.
I have charged mine several times at 9mph.
I can remember trying the limited charge as well and from memory it was 7 mph or what I guessed was less than 2kw. Only time I saw less was when I first got the car and charged it with Climate switched to ON.
Im sure someone here will know the answers.
Dave
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
hwhbev

Post by hwhbev »

You shouldn’t need to set the ID.3 to a lower charge current. The type 2 connector and your 3.5kW wall box will communicate with the car to indicate the maximum charge current available. So if the wall box is working correctly, according to the J1772 specification, your car will charge at 3.5kW without having to change anything in the car's settings.

Setting the lower charge current in the infotainment system limits it to 8 amps (1.92kW) according to the manual. I don’t know why it is so low – you’re better off with a granny cable which I think is limited to 10 amps.