VW ID.3 Roof Bars

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

PaulB wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:50 am ps - it took a little time to put them on. i pre-assembled the bars, then with one helper I placed them on the car (need to two people either side of the car at that point so you dont scratch the car) then tightened up. probably took 60-90mins from taking out of packaging, reading instructions etc to fully fitted. next time though would be 30 mins max. would defo recommend the cruz bars for the ID3
The feet look sound! Do they offer an aero bar rather than the square section? Do you intend to leave them on the car?
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22

MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Ended up getting some of the Farad bars as the Cruz ones were not in stock before I needed them. £98 or so.

Small write up here: https://www.speakev.com/threads/id-3-ro ... st-3059906

(Can’t post pics easily here)
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Let us know how you get on with them.
I said I would hold out for VW ones but there isn't a sniff of them yet so will either go for the Farad or Cruze Aearo bars. Supprised Thule have nothing.
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Ok - so the roof bars have been fine. Drove 120 miles or so from Manc to N Lakes with them yesterday (up to 80 or so) with a small roof box attached. Fair bit of usual whistling - though not with the box on.

All great.

Economy has taken a big hit though… it’s been a bit colder - and rained most of the way but my long term average of 4.1 got a bit of a hammering - 3/3.2 on this leg.
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Glad they performed ok. 80 means 80mph with a roof box? 😄 Were you totally happy with the bracket fit into the roof and how the feet sit on the roof line?
The LTA hit seems big! Did you note the consumption for the trip? I would hope to leave bars on all year round and maybe just detach the the bike racks. They sound promising 👍
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Daveion wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:16 am Glad they performed ok. 80 means 80mph with a roof box? 😄 Were you totally happy with the bracket fit into the roof and how the feet sit on the roof line?
The LTA hit seems big! Did you note the consumption for the trip? I would hope to leave bars on all year round and maybe just detach the the bike racks. They sound promising 👍
Just realised the trip was around 3.2. Thats not bad with a box and speeds up to 80mph. Is that mostly on the M6 as well?
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Fit: seems ok. Since tightening/fitting I’ve given them a few jiggles / hard tugs and they seem to fit fine. It’s clear they’re a generic foot and clamp - ie it’s not a perfect match to the roof crease and under door. But they are dead solid now they’re on.

My last car (V40) I had a pair of genuine Thule made ones that had pegs fitting into lugs under the roof frame for the clamp bits - and that qualifies my generic statement above.

Yes - 80 with a small roof box on :) only for a few downhill overtaking moments. Most of the time sat at 65-70. Lots of side winds too and it felt noticeably more wobbly but still really stable (better than the Volvo).

They are noisy enough that I’d take them off for general use. Here I’ve taken the roof box off for the week we’re here - and just got the bars on now - a bit too noisy for me above 50. Not helped by the car being electric so you can hear everytring of course!! I thought I could hear some odd whistling at one point and it was another cars bike rack overtaking me!

The economy hit was a surprise - esp last night - I filled up (25-80) at the InstaVolt in Keswick (👍👍) and lost 9% in the 15 mile - 20 min drive home (mostly A66 cruise set at 60). Though this is the first time I’ve driven the car much when it’s been colder - and lots of wind/rain too. (This was with just the bars).

No water ingress either. Drips when you open the door as the clamps disrupt the outer seal - but nothing inside when closed and running (torrential rain and motorway yesterday).
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

MotMot wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:44 am Fit: seems ok. Since tightening/fitting I’ve given them a few jiggles / hard tugs and they seem to fit fine. It’s clear they’re a generic foot and clamp - ie it’s not a perfect match to the roof crease and under door. But they are dead solid now they’re on.

My last car (V40) I had a pair of genuine Thule made ones that had pegs fitting into lugs under the roof frame for the clamp bits - and that qualifies my generic statement above.

Yes - 80 with a small roof box on :) only for a few downhill overtaking moments. Most of the time sat at 65-70. Lots of side winds too and it felt noticeably more wobbly but still really stable (better than the Volvo).

They are noisy enough that I’d take them off for general use. Here I’ve taken the roof box off for the week we’re here - and just got the bars on now - a bit too noisy for me above 50. Not helped by the car being electric so you can hear everytring of course!! I thought I could hear some odd whistling at one point and it was another cars bike rack overtaking me!

The economy hit was a surprise - esp last night - I filled up (25-80) at the InstaVolt in Keswick (👍👍) and lost 9% in the 15 mile - 20 min drive home (mostly A66 cruise set at 60). Though this is the first time I’ve driven the car much when it’s been colder - and lots of wind/rain too. (This was with just the bars).

No water ingress either. Drips when you open the door as the clamps disrupt the outer seal - but nothing inside when closed and running (torrential rain and motorway yesterday).
👍
Born v2-Tech L Pack
Collected June 22
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Just been for another spin - bit quieter than yesterday - it was very windy…
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Samboii wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:52 am Do the clamps that sit inside the door fit into the two little holes in the frame?
no i dont think so. the cruz bars told me a distance from the door middle, so i just measured to that

I've taken them off now, only had them on for the week we were away. the rubber door seal has gone back into place nicely.
ID3 Life Pro 58kWh '21Reg Moonstone Grey
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Glad the seal has gone back - was wondering / hoping mine would!!
Ricky

Post by Ricky »

Contacted Roof Box Company and received the message below. A shame really.

Many thanks for your enquiry.

Cruz did release a set of bars for the ID.3, which were tested and approved for this vehicle and which we sold with no problems at all. Unfortunately VW later advised that it wasn't possible to carry a load on this vehicle so Cruz have, unfortunately, withdrawn these roof bars from sale.

Kind Regards

The Roof Box Company
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Ricky wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:14 pm Contacted Roof Box Company and received the message below. A shame really.

Many thanks for your enquiry.

Cruz did release a set of bars for the ID.3, which were tested and approved for this vehicle and which we sold with no problems at all. Unfortunately VW later advised that it wasn't possible to carry a load on this vehicle so Cruz have, unfortunately, withdrawn these roof bars from sale.

Kind Regards

The Roof Box Company
Tested and approved by whom? It is odd that VW are adamant that the car cannot take roof bars. It would be nice if they could explain why.
neukrisz

Post by neukrisz »

It's a shame really... :(
Updated ID software v3.2 finally :P
02/2021 ID.3 Pro Performance Tech - w/ Heat Pump, Head-Up display, Pano-roof. Glacier white metallic with 19" Andoya wheels
Statten

Post by Statten »

What's the right size we should be going for? Is it 120cm?
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Statten wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:26 am What's the right size we should be going for? Is it 120cm?
Ask VW? Oh wait they will tell you you can't put roof bars on the car.
Ask someone wo's trying to sell you roof bars that has no responsibility for any issues that arise after selling you bars that fit but shouldn't be used?
Statten

Post by Statten »

G43FAN wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:07 am
Statten wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:26 am What's the right size we should be going for? Is it 120cm?
Ask VW? Oh wait they will tell you you can't put roof bars on the car.
Ask someone wo's trying to sell you roof bars that has no responsibility for any issues that arise after selling you bars that fit but shouldn't be used?
Kinda why i'm posting the question here as people have seemingly successfully bought and installed them... so i was hoping for a bit extra clarity on the details.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

I bought Farad ones. Don’t know if they’re still available but they work / worked great.
Kimron

Post by Kimron »

Hi Paul B. I am considering purchasing an ID.3 ('Family' version), which has a glass roof, and having the same concerns as you about putting a roof rack on. I can't tell from the pictures if your car has a glass roof, which the Family does. Does your car have a glass roof and has it worked out ok?

Thanks in advance, Kimron