VW ID.3 Roof Bars

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Does anyone know if there is any VW bespoke roof bars in the pipe line for the ID.3?
I can get one MTB in the back of the car easily with wheels off/ 2 bikes is a pain! It would be nice to use my 2 Thule ProRide bar mounted carriers as I have on other cars in recent years.
Dave
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22

G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

From what I have seen so far the indications are 'No' certainly unlikely on the cars with a Glass panoramic roof.

There is this online however
https://www.driveden.com/product/farad- ... hback-6978

Depends on your roof I guess, although I am not a fan of the mountings which compromise the door closure..
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

It might be easier to retrofit the towball, (but more expensive of course). The ID3 is not rated for any roof bars/weight.

I have seen these though:

https://www.driveden.com/product/farad- ... hback-6978
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
Daveion

Post by Daveion »

Thanks All
I would only fit VW approved ones. I would not want to risk any roof damage.
Stacking the frames in the back is fiddly but doable. Will have to manage.
Dave
1st EV Life Pro Performance sold 2022
Born v2-Tech L Pack
White, 19" Typhoon Wheels.
Collected June 22
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

A guy on the UK Facebook group has fitted the Farad bars:

Screenshot 2021-03-04 at 13.53.43.png

Screenshot 2021-03-04 at 13.53.34.png

He said they seem to fit OK and are pretty sturdy, but appreciated they weren't approved by VW.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

Early days I guess and things may change. I have a set of Whispbars off my Tiguan but looking to see if these could be reused Roofbox UK are stating ..

"It is not possible to fit products to the roof of this vehicle"

https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbveh ... query=8781
Samboii

Post by Samboii »

On the frame of all the doors are two little indentations that look like they are designed to accommodate a foot that clamps to the roof that has two small pins.... Is this not an indication that there is a roof rail system designed for the car?
Very Proud Owner of an id3 Tour in Magnesium Grey with some wheels.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

Samboii wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:16 pm On the frame of all the doors are two little indentations that look like they are designed to accommodate a foot that clamps to the roof that has two small pins.... Is this not an indication that there is a roof rail system designed for the car?

The only VW-approved option that is out in the market is the tow hitch kit.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

hi all.
newbie owner (day 3). the VW seller told us yes roof bars can be fitted, or get them at halfords etc. So i didnt do much more at that point. Only later, post purchase / pre-delivery did i have a quick google for roof bars, and then found out that there are no VW approved bars. uurgh. the guy in the dealership basically had no idea, but just made up a reply that i wanted to hear. (thats a separate thread about the need for the sales staff to get upskilled in EV cars ..)

Anyway, i am where i am now. might try those Farad bars, as they are the only one that seem to be made for it. I also have a rear mounted cycle hatchback frame which i used on my old (skoda fabia) car, but that looks a no-go, all looks too flimsy / lightweight at the back.

Anyone else tried/succeeded with the Farad bars? anyone used them with a roof box/luggage, or just 1-2 single bikes up top?
cheers
ID3 Life Pro 58kWh '21Reg Moonstone Grey
gailjon

Post by gailjon »

Roofbox.co.uk sell various bars for the ID3. I have used them before and they have always been very helpful. It may be worth giving them a ring for some advice. They may have some other customers who have fitted bars to the ID3 and given feedback.

https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbveh ... query=8781
ID.3 Family, Andoya Alloys, Heat Pump. Grab a £50 Octopus Credit https://share.octopus.energy/silk-guppy-104
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Let me know how you get on (or the thread!) as it’s something I want to get for mine (the Farad ones look decent).
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

@gailjo - thanks, thats very helpful. i have seen the aero-type ones before, but not the square steel ones, which will fit my existing roof box and cycle carrier. doesnt need to be aerodynamic, as i only need those as i wont need to keep it on all the year round, just 3-4-5 times a year for a roof box / cycle carrier for family holiday or race/cycle event. I will let everyone know how i get on with them / post a photo.

For clarity, this is what i have (pre)ordered - more stock on the way: CRUZ premium 120cm ST steel roof bars - CRUZ premium bars:

https://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbveh ... Kao4an.tWc
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

PaulB wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:53 am @gailjo - thanks, thats very helpful. i have seen the aero-type ones before, but not the square steel ones, which will fit my existing roof box and cycle carrier. doesnt need to be aerodynamic, as i only need those as i wont need to keep it on all the year round, just 3-4-5 times a year for a roof box / cycle carrier for family holiday or race/cycle event. I will let everyone know how i get on with them / post a photo.

For clarity, this is what i have (pre)ordered - more stock on the way: CRUZ premium 120cm ST steel roof bars - CRUZ premium bars:

Bump on this - how did you get on? All ok?
TimF

Post by TimF »

I asked this question early on in the showroom. Rep was very helpful and positive, pointed out where the fitting would go, said he understood VW would be bringing out bars in Germany soon, ought to reach UK at some point. I haven't followed it up as yet.

As for Roofbox.co.uk, I agree they are very helpful knowledgeable, recommended.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

TimF wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:00 am I asked this question early on in the showroom. Rep was very helpful and positive, pointed out where the fitting would go, said he understood VW would be bringing out bars in Germany soon, ought to reach UK at some point. I haven't followed it up as yet.

As for Roofbox.co.uk, I agree they are very helpful knowledgeable, recommended.
I'd take that with a pinch of salt, given that would be a severe U turn on the original stance. But I am sure that could change.

roof carrier.PNG

Andreas

Post by Andreas »

Not sure how much I would trust reps... They're no doubt lovely people, but they want to sell you a car and will tell you what they think you want to hear.

Having said that, they do have all of this for the ID.4, so may really just be a matter of time.

All the best

Andreas
——————
ID.3 Tour, manganese grey, bi-colour style, heat pump, otherwise standard. July 2021, London.
Http://rommelsriposte.com (not car related)
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

MotMot wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:07 am
PaulB wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:53 am @gailjo - thanks, thats very helpful. i have seen the aero-type ones before, but not the square steel ones, which will fit my existing roof box and cycle carrier. doesnt need to be aerodynamic, as i only need those as i wont need to keep it on all the year round, just 3-4-5 times a year for a roof box / cycle carrier for family holiday or race/cycle event. I will let everyone know how i get on with them / post a photo.

Bump on this - how did you get on? All ok?
hi again, yes it worked well, I put them on and used them yesterday. The cruz bars fitted perfectly. was a bit nervous as i set off, but i got two bikes on no problems. last trip i had 4.0miles/kWh on M1 (65mph ACC, 2 people no luggage) this time it was 3.0m/kwh on 100 mile trip (also 65mph ACC) . car was also fully laden with stuff for a week holiday and it was very windy too yesterday. so not an exact comparison, but close enough. so, i will probably need another 100 miles of charging @ 30-40p/kwh @ Mway prices, so around £3-4 extra for 2 bikes for the week away.

IMG_20210731_132209[1].jpg

IMG_20210731_120242[1].jpg

IMG_20210731_120229[1].jpg

PaulB

Post by PaulB »

ps - it took a little time to put them on. i pre-assembled the bars, then with one helper I placed them on the car (need to two people either side of the car at that point so you dont scratch the car) then tightened up. probably took 60-90mins from taking out of packaging, reading instructions etc to fully fitted. next time though would be 30 mins max. would defo recommend the cruz bars for the ID3
Samboii

Post by Samboii »

Do the clamps that sit inside the door fit into the two little holes in the frame?
Very Proud Owner of an id3 Tour in Magnesium Grey with some wheels.
MotMot

Post by MotMot »

Magic. Thanks for the answers.

Torn between these and some Farad bars. Mountings look neat on these. Curve follows the edge of the roof well.