Wifi connection

All Volkswagen ID.3 related discussions
Deleted User 314

Post by Deleted User 314 »

Hi,

I have version 2.0, going to 2.1 "soon" and I'm experiencing an odd issue and wondered if it's just me.

I can connect, through settings/Wifi to a mobile phone hotspot and access internet radio, which works well "Heart Yorkshire for me!"

However, I am unable to connect to my normal home wifi, a Ubiquiti mesh, it takes a long time to see the network but will not connect, saying "unable to connect" - I've tried multiple times, no success.

Anyone else experiencing problems? Normally I wouldn't care but unfortunately there's no mobile connectivity where I am , so I will rely on Wifi for OTA updates.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.
Last edited by Deleted User 314 on Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jono

Post by Jono »

I’ve got a UNIFI network, I’ll try connecting and provide an update.
hwhbev

Post by hwhbev »

I have Ubiquiti access points and found that the wifi signal has to be quite strong for the car to see it. I had to install a UAP-AC-M outdoors before the car saw the wifi network.
Deleted User 192

Post by Deleted User 192 »

My car is parked the length of the garage from my Ubiquiti AP, it connected first time and I’ve had no issues.
G43FAN

Post by G43FAN »

I too have connected via phone AP but failed to connect to my home WIfi, but that is because apparently the car "doesn't support my Security settings". I'm not using anything out of the ordinary and have plenty of other devices connected at both 2.4GHz and 5Ghz. I would set up another WWID but I can't be bothered currently.
Deleted User 314

scott28tt wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:37 pm My car is parked the length of the garage from my Ubiquiti AP, it connected first time and I’ve had no issues.
What security settings do you have? I've just basic WEP2 with 8 character password.
kaiz

Post by kaiz »

G43FAN wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:57 pm I too have connected via phone AP but failed to connect to my home WIfi, but that is because apparently the car "doesn't support my Security settings". I'm not using anything out of the ordinary and have plenty of other devices connected at both 2.4GHz and 5Ghz. I would set up another WWID but I can't be bothered currently.
Mine says the same. I have WPA2.
Wondered, if 802.11n is needed, mine is ac, but neighbors wifi seems good.
Life Pro Performance, Manganese gray, Heat pump, Tow bar, 0792 / 2.1.
Deleted User 314

Moved another router around so the car picked up the WiFi and it connected immediately.

Ubiquiti AC-PRO won’t connect
TP-LINK TL-WR940N connected no problem.

Car sees both networks at full signal.
mark83

Post by mark83 »

Did anyone find a solution to this? I've run into the same problem where the car see's the network but won't connect. I can't imagine it's signal strength related as the AP is only about 4 feet from the car.
Deleted User 314

I can't get VW to give me a straight answer, and I can't find a solution.
robgarth

Post by robgarth »

If you get a message saying your car 'doesn't support security settings', then your router is probably using the old WPA-PSK and not the latest WPA2-PSK security. Go to router settings by putting its IP address in to your browser (e.g. 192.168.0.1 or similar ) and login. Go to 'advance settings', then 'wireless', then 'security' where you can select WPA2-PSK. Ensure you apply the changes. If you are not offered WPA2-PSK then you are probably using an old router. Hope this helps.
Rob
Business Pro, 62KWh, 150KW, 2.1. White metallic. Wiltshire.
Deleted User 314

Thanks Rob.

I do not get an error message other than "cannot connect to network"

I'm using a Unifi mesh, security settings are WPA2-PSK.

Signal strength is 100% (i.e. I am 3 metres from the pod)

I'm stumped, although there doesn't appear to be any point connecting to Wifi..
robgarth

Post by robgarth »

Sorry I couldn't help, I've not yet found a need for it either. Perhaps there'll be an update later that gives it some purpose.
Rob
Business Pro, 62KWh, 150KW, 2.1. White metallic. Wiltshire.
id73

Post by id73 »

I can’t find a use for wifi either, though mine does work.
Latest OTA update rolling out now is over 4g for some inexplicable reason NOT wifi!